LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
uh

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Nice, would look awesome with fire hoop too me thinks.

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
Eeep!

qwertycoderBRONZE Member
43 posts

Posted:
um.. excuse me miss but i think your dress is on fire. i really want to see a vid of this, if you stop spinning does the dress just fall and burn you or are their supports underneath to prevent that.

Derek_FaughnDIAMOND Member
DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
That is freggin COOL! Love it!

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFootFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! shocked

Werd shocked

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: qwertycoderum.. excuse me miss but i think your dress is on fire. i really want to see a vid of this, if you stop spinning does the dress just fall and burn you or are their supports underneath to prevent that.

quite amazing smile must be awesome to watch, thanks for sharing...
I side these questions - would hope that the skirt is from fire retardant fabric...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
That's most likely the best thing ever created.

Really nice shot too, whoever took it.

Juggle 'til I drop!

AndeSILVER Member
The Enthusiastic!
13 posts

Posted:
Wow, You should put up a video of this in action, I am curious as to how you utilize such an amazing and powerful costume!

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I've seen the video, she has a Youtube you know. I think it was on her HoP profile.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Well on view of the video:

Lara... welcome to HoP...

fantastic idea... hug

I'd have hoped you were aware of the sacredness that whirling has to a lot of people (that I know)... the ambiance of the video doesn't quite reflect that...

Originally Posted By: TJFWhen she steps out it looks... Inviting to say the least.

wink

Don't get me wrong please, I like naked skin... no... I worship every inch of naked female skin... I'm not a traditionalist... and women DO perform whirling even in Islam... and whirling itself is not necessarily a strong tradition within their faith... yet...

When people from the East - or from a traditional background - look at the West, quite often they take offense by the way that Westerners use sacred rituals and turn them into something... profane.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
laugh3 still I worship peace

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
That is the most amazing article of clothing in the history of human existence, EVER!

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTom

When people from the East - or from a traditional background - look at the West, quite often they take offense by the way that Westerners use sacred rituals and turn them into something... profane.

Mmmm yes, it's an American tradition to screw up other cultures. We call it "fun".

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

PaxieSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Well, to add onto the fire of the discussion, isn't it a little of the same that happened to poi? Somebody to an old tradition out of it original context - and sat fire to it - and made it into something new!

I think it's very beautiful and especially creatively made!
Respect to Lara!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: brenonfire413Mmmm yes, it's an American tradition to screw up other cultures. We call it "fun".

Hey, the British and the Spanish have much more practice at this than we do. tongue2

Though I think it's silly to say that creating a performance based on aspects of another culture's practice (whatever its ethical standing) screws up that culture/practice. The existence of a Dervish-like fire skirt in no way alters anything about existing Dervish practices. Colonization of the Americas, or European colonialism in Asia and Africa, and the manner in which these screwed up cultures, should be remembered to keep the creation of a fiery whirling skirt in perspective.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

letitburnslacker of biblical proportions
44 posts

Posted:
fuckin mind boggeling

float like a butterfly and sting like when i pee

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
that is truly an awesome piece of clothing!! I wanna learn how to whirl like the dervishes and then get one.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Sis - I side you, I never said that this performance "screws up" that culture/practice and I agree that the fire derwish skirt itself is not pulling down the Sufi tradition.

But what I wuold emphasize is to carefully choose the context in which this performance takes place.

Further I'd like to raise awareness. Be prepared for the case in which you have to face criticism from someone who is emotionally attached to such culture/ practice. Have some answers ready.

smile

GullikGOLD Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
shocked

Lukas_Blissstranger
11 posts

Posted:
Same Here!!!! This fire skirt looks amazing, it's a shame that all yo can do with it is spin, could look real cool doing high kicks or anything like that.

Be the silence, surrounded by magic, and you will know what it is to be free.

"Because the people crazy enough to believe they can really change the world are the ones who actually do."