SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if this is normal, but I heard about 4 or 5 different songs that I can see myself really spinning to, but in each on, I have an insanely different style when I let myself lose. There is this one song by Astrix:

: and when I dance to that, I end up with a style extremely similar to Nevisoul (not that I don't screw up on everything that pops into my head). When I hear this:

: I have something more like Nick Woolsey goin in my head. When I hear Pokerface, I don't even need to link that, well idk, a little like Nick I guess (just for comparison reasons), but more individually me. If I hear this:

: I do near everything in split-time same direction, and it slows and speeds up in the middle of moves.
Is this kind of thing normal when you just freestyle? If it is, is it a lasting thing where you haven't quite developed your own style yet, or does this kind of thing always happen?

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

chemairoSILVER Member
person who like to spin all gears
62 posts

Posted:
I think one of your biggest problem is, that you listen to the music they have played with and took a video which you have seen.
And because you have seen this video and in this moment you think about the seen combinations and try to put in your dancing style - but at the end it isn't your style - it is more something like a playback show.
And so I think it would be possible that you feel these style changes. Sometimes I hate watching videos because then I would like to perform to this music as well - but this isn't really acceptable in my opinion.
So it may help to avoid these songs and chose your own music

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Weird.. when I listen to that last one, I'm thinking more in the lines of lots of stalls and split opposites. Each gets their own groove out of the same song, I guess..

As a very inexperienced spinner (so take it with a grain of salt), I would say that when freestyling by yourself, just rock out to the music in a way that makes you feel good, not thinking whether or not it looks like you're mimicking someone else. If it comes out looking like someone elses routine, then tough luck. You shouldn't limit yourself by being afraid of being a copycat, everybody takes influences. Atleast you're having fun.
BUT if you're going to perform, I'd suggest not sticking with what someone else has already done. Improve on it, I'm sure you can think of something that can be done to better the flow from what you have seen someone else do. So don't limit yourself in that sense either, that you end up doing only AS good as your idols. You can do better wink . And I'd suggest eventually taking this mindset to when you're just grooving by yourself aswell.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Generally it seems that after a while of not watching them, I start to get my own style into it. But I really do love that song by Astrix, I listen to it now, just for listening. But when I do listen to it, I want to jump around while doing it. I'm going to need to practice this because it's fun as living hell grin
Edit: I think I know what it is, I don't really have a developed style yet and I'm looking at different ones to see which suits me. So far I find that that song by Astrix really brings me out and I think I'll build on that because, it's not that I like seeing it the most, I like so much of them, but when I spin, it just feels right. I need to learn to silly walk as it pops into my head too much. I absolutely love jumping around while doing everything. It just feels like me grin
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1261857799)

fire_crackaSILVER Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
well, it sounds like you've figured this out allready.

I was gonna suggest that though you see yourself doing things relating to someone else's styles, you still see yourself doing it. Yes, you are technically sponge-ing on someone else's style, but that doesn't mean it can't develop into your own style as well. In my opinion, what you imagine yourself doing is just your style trying to come out. The difference in what you are imagining is due to the different music styles (or performers you've seen) which is great, because you have a wealth of different angles (styles) to draw from. You'll probably find that there's a way you do your tricks that is all you. I wouldn't worry so much about copying, as I would recognizing the little nuances that make your spinning "yours" and then focusing on bringing them forward.

now that I've rambled, I hope I've helped more than confused. =D

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
Just stop listening to songs in the context of other's performances. Try to concentrate only on your tricks and your style. Also listen to a lot of different kinds of music and try to find which kind of spinning fits each one. I normally have around 50 songs in my poi playlist with vastly different rythms and instruments and this helps keep my spinning fresh every time.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I have been slowly finding a lot more songs to add. Recently, I refound this classic, I think I might try developing kind of a routine to Black Betty by Spiderbait grin I've also found other songs, quite a bi by Basshunter, but most I just use for practice. I also have been trying to find more contemporary music. Which works well, I really like Temperature by Sean Paul for spinning. Mmm juicy tongue2

Believe me, I've found quite a bit, I just also find fun in the fact that I can do things similar to my favorite videos, which is so cool grin

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
you should try iacchus they are my fav techno band the album amazing each song leads into the next so if you took the gap from between songs it would sound like one song

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

2,280 posts

Posted:
And just so you guys know, I don't really experience this anymore unwillingly. I can if I watch it enough and try to do it, but I've gotten enough moves behind me and got used to my own style that I can just kind of trance out and do my own.