DillzPoistranger
3 posts

Posted:
i have the butter fly , the 2-5 beat weave, the 2 and 4 beat windmill, and the fountain! i need help on were to go next!!! i have no idea on what to do next!!!! plez help

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Try the 2bt and 4bt corkscrew, the 4x4 fountain, thread the needle, FLOWERS do flowers now before it gets really hard to learn, and it frees up your movement, whirling and footwork, matrix move, extensions, butterfly and split-time butterfly extentions, different wallplane flowers, Hyperloops and Orbitals are really fun grin , I almost forgot first thing you might want to do now is watermill, low and high turns, and extended reel.
Also, you should do 7bt weaves before your muscle memory is set, once it is it gets a lot harder to add beats, and learn all of your weaves in reverse as that is easier to learn when you begin and will help a lot.
If you want to, you can start working on behind the back weaves. And the easiest things to learn would be, well before reading this, LEARN YOUR REVERSE WEAVES! I wish I had early and I regret it because it's hard to learn now, so the easiest things would be the low and high reels/turns, extended windmill, angel wings, behind the head butterfly and extended butterfly, watermill, and 7bt weave if you do it early.
Also, start working on isolations as soon as possible, at first you may do a few beats, or none at all, and it will come out and spin twice as fast as normal. Just keep at them and you will get it, it normally takes around a month or two before they start getting clean and nice looking, and they might be frustrating to a lot of people.
And for the one that I do that seems to help the most, practice one thing for 5-15 minutes at a time, do something else, or take a break, or go to bed, or what have you, come back and you will be much better at it. And it saves a lot of frustration.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

DillzPoistranger
3 posts

Posted:
ty ill try i didnt know there was a 7 beat weave lol is there any higher? and one question is it posible to do a isalated 5 or 7 beat weave?

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: DillzPoity ill try i didnt know there was a 7 beat weave lol is there any higher? and one question is it posible to do a isalated 5 or 7 beat weave?
Yes, there is a 9bt, which requires some serious flexibility which if you don''t have it now, which I didn't you may get it later through lots of btb, wheelplane, btb wheelplane, and other body twisty stuff. I just learned the 9bt weave. And you can tangle the cords and get even more as long as they keep their momentum, I myself have done this out of a 9bt and gotten up to a 13bt weave and it looked weird. As for isolated, I'm not sure is it counts, but you could just spin them forward and behind each other as long as you want I'm pretty sure.

DillzPoistranger
3 posts

Posted:
wow 13 beat? lol can u make a video? xD i can barly do the 7 beat xD

2,280 posts

Posted:
Just do a whatever, it's easiest if you a do a 9bt, but you just stop twisting and let the cords twist at the handles and move them over, let them untwist, then start untwisting your arms. It doesn't have much of an application because it's inconsistent, but it's pretty cool to do. You can just spin them fast, do a 7bt and let them twist then bring them over.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I tend to look at a video, see something I really like, find out what I have to do to do that, and learn it grin And then I expand on those things and break them down, and learn different variations. Such as, I have done meltdowns for a long time, before I knew what they were, but then I found a video showing those and wheelplane meltdowns, which was what I have wanted to do since the beginning of my poi journey grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: This Jaded FleshJust follow the video series in the HoP learn section.

This is pretty much how I built up my move vocabulary (except you can move on to some "advanced weaves" before you figure out the btb weave). I would combine this with also experimenting with seeing how you can move them around your body.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
I would also look at the Beginner Series on PlayPoi

Derek_FaughnDIAMOND Member
DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Just do what you think is cool, and what interet you. At the point you are at in your spinning i was learning crossers, isolations (in buzzsaw) and BTB. Those are 3 things that are a MUST to learn in poi.

And as for isolating in 5 beat...it might be possible, but i'm not sure, but i dont think so. And I'm positive you couldn't learn do it in 7 beats. And 7 beats aren't that important to learn. It just to many degrees of twist to do anything from it.
And a "13 beat weve" is just really a fountain variation. I dont think anyone can actually weave 13 beats. Unless they are made of rubber.

Happy spinning, and get at me if you ot any questions.

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Oh yes. And i do agree. Low turns, High Turns, and low reels are VERY important to learn to.

James Dean

2,280 posts

Posted:
About the 13bt, I'm not sure if it counts as a weave, but I did a 9bt and let the cords twist and bring it over, let the cords untwist, and then untwist my arms. Does that count as a weave? I think it does, because Nick mentioned it in his 5bt weave tut video. Here, really helpful:

And I didn't even think about crossers in my list, yes do that, frees up motion a lot allowing for cool transitions and holding it in between moves.
Edit, the tangling thing is at about 3:10
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1261582700)

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Yeah, i'd say that counts as a nine beat weave.

James Dean

DrexFactorGOLD Member
Defeats the purpose
73 posts

Posted:
Flowers and isolations...no bullshit. The earlier you get to these the better and they lead into advanced concepts like CAPs and unit circle moves. That and most multiple beat moves restrict your movement because they twist your arms up while learning these types of movement will free you up to move around a lot more.

Peace,
Drex

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Derek_Faughn
And as for isolating in 5 beat...it might be possible, but i'm not sure, but i dont think so. And I'm positive you couldn't learn do it in 7 beats. And 7 beats aren't that important to learn.

Actually, learning to do a 7beat (3rd-degree twist) the elegant way is important on several levels. You can do it by curling your arms up with a touch of isolation.
It allows you to turn in an unexpected direction from what normally would have been a 5beat (2nd-degree twist). Doing it the elegant way allows for some wrist separation as well... Not as much as with 2nd-degree twist, but still very useful.It will get you familiar with "Keying" (a term I borrowed from Liquid dancers, sometimes also referred to as tunneling). You create a "keyhole" by curling one arm up on itself, and move your other hand through the negative space. This happens naturally with an "elegant" 7beat. It enables 5beat (split-time) TTN and 6beat (same-time) TTN (which I'm slop at). It can also be applied stylistically to anywhere you might put a 2nd-degree twist (ie a 5beat).Here is the kicker: learning to get some wrist separation in a higher degree of twist will enable you to do an isolated weave with one less degree of twist!

When you are isolating your hands are 180º (1pi) out of phase with the poi head, traveling around the same circle: they are on the other side of the circle. When you rotate 2 tethered objects (ie your hands) 180º (1pi) around each other they add 1-degree of twist. In an isolated weave your hands have to travel an extra 180º (1pi) around each other to drag the poi heads (180º behind) through the number of beats you want in the weave.

So to do an isolated 3beat your hands briefly get into a 2nd-degree twist, but still cross through the middle in the same sequence as a regular 3beat weave, instead of switching the leader to a 5beat.

A 5beat isolated weave is totally possible, but you'll do well to get used to a 7beat weave 1st: hands twist to something like a 3rd-degree postion as you isolate and cross over your shoulder, but the poi still cross over in the same sequence as a 5beat rather than a 7beat.

I filmed some of this stuff last month. was going to be the 1st nano-Tech blog... but I wasn't satisfied and need to re-film it.

+Alien Jon

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:

Ahhhh frown Well shut my mouth! Well I think i'm gonna go learn 7 beats now. LOL

James Dean

HOP Newsletter