• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Help! > Spiral wrap with kerosene?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1234
SpinnerofDetroit
GOLD Member since Oct 2009

SpinnerofDetroit

All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want

Total posts: 2280
Posted:Is it safe for me to do a spiral wrap with K-1 kerosene without a kevlar sheath covering the metal parts at the end, I'm more concerned with doing one while whirling and do it above my head.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Delete Topic

_Poiboy_
GOLD Member since Jan 2004

_Poiboy_

bastard child of satan

Total posts: 1113
Posted:I wear gloves for spirals, and even then I get burnt occasionally (less than I would without them, but still), the gloves I use are made of some synthetic fabric blend, which melts, which means if I get tangled up, I'm screwed.

A kevlar sheath and good technique should keep you safe, it's a good way of getting rid of any arm hair wink

Delete

Indie73
BRONZE Member since May 2009

Indie73

stranger

Total posts: 11
Posted:Hi everyone)
we do spirals (kevlar moonblaze + cerosine) without any glowes.
Yes, after it hands are black, but nothing seriuos happend.
Also Tomas shows in one vid his gear. There was long gloves with cut fingers, but it was made from syntetics, and he advised to pull these gloves on hands into hot water (as now do i =) ).

Delete

Derek_Faughn
PLATINUM Member since May 2008

DerekJF85

Total posts: 101
Posted:I never use gloves or a sheath. Just my hands and normal hardware. My hands do get blackened up, and i get very small minor burns on my hands sometimes, but other then that its all good. I'd just make sure you are 100% confortable with spiral wraps and you'll be ok.

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:I just realized after my first burn, there is no way I could do that anytime soon... way to scary

Delete

LazyAngel
GOLD Member since Jul 2004

LazyAngel

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2895
Posted:just to clear this up - it will never be 'safe' tp do a spiral wrap with poi (unless you're wearing welding gloves) but there is a lot you can do to minimise risks
1) practise
2) ensure you are familiar with the poi you are using
3) practise
4) don't hold the poi still for long periods of time (the chain heats up) this has got me a couple of times
5) make sure the person before you wasn't holding the poi still for long periods of time
6)practise
7) use protection - sheaths, gloves, whatever
8)practise

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Of course when I mean not dangerous, I mean relative to everything else I am doing, which is quite dangerous XD

Delete

JaredW
SILVER Member since Oct 2009

JaredW

enthusiast

Total posts: 375
Posted:Originally Posted By: Indie73Hi everyone)
we do spirals (kevlar moonblaze + cerosine) without any glowes.
Yes, after it hands are black, but nothing seriuos happend.
Also Tomas shows in one vid his gear. There was long gloves with cut fingers, but it was made from syntetics, and he advised to pull these gloves on hands into hot water (as now do i =) ).

Those long gloves he uses are actually toe socks with the ends cut off.

Delete

Derek_Faughn

DerekJF85

Posted:Man, Am i just to careless, or is everyone just a little over protective about spinning fire.... Welding gloves with spiral wraps? I mean I've caught each poi head in my bare hands and threw them into a spin the other way with out getting a serious burn. Like i said before...just be 100% confortable with what you are doing before you try it with fire.

James Dean

Delete

Indie73
BRONZE Member since May 2009

Indie73

stranger

Total posts: 11
Posted:Originally Posted By: ThezackThose long gloves he uses are actually toe socks with the ends cut off.
you are right!
Derek_Faughn, look at http://www.firemecca.com/p-556-kevlar-r-sleeves.aspx

Delete

This Jaded Flesh
SILVER Member since Oct 2009

This Jaded Flesh

One soul is as good as another...

Total posts: 323
Posted:??? Fingerless gloves I do believe they are called.

"I may lack virtue, but I'm penitent"

Delete

Fine_Rabid_Dog

Internet Hate Machine

Total posts: 10530
Posted:Originally Posted By: Derek_FaughnMan, Am i just to careless, or is everyone just a little over protective about spinning fire.... Welding gloves with spiral wraps? I mean I've caught each poi head in my bare hands and threw them into a spin the other way with out getting a serious burn. Like i said before...just be 100% confortable with what you are doing before you try it with fire.

You can never be over cautious with fire. EVER.

Enjoy your inevitable burns.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Delete

Apollyon00

stranger

Total posts: 4
Posted:Kerosene is a highly flammable, nearly explosive substance. I definitely prefer paraffin because it has a super low temp ignition point, burns predictably and doesn't ruin your kevlar. Wouldn't you prefer this safer fuel to kerosene? I've done wraps oogles of times with paraffin with no burns smile
EDITED_BY: Apollyon00 (1261292070)

Delete

hamamelis
BRONZE Member since Jan 2006

hamamelis

nut.

Total posts: 756
Posted:
Kerosene and paraffin are generally the same fuel, though in some countries the names may be used for different things.
The last lot I bought had both names written on it..

Sorry wink

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Delete

Stout
SILVER Member since May 2004

Stout

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1872
Posted:I do 'em bare handed all the time. hot metal burns are inevitable though, they're usually not serious but they may limit your desire to do more of them on that same evening.

I usually burn myself on the tops of my index fingers but I have had a few SWs go wrong and ended up with the hot metal bits between my fingers. The key is not to panic, minor burns are all part of the game really.

Delete

Mr_Joe
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

Mr_Joe

Part-time genius

Total posts: 59
Posted:Another vote for gloveless spirals with no kevlar sheath on the chain. The moment of contact with anything hot is so short that getting burnt is unlikely, though tiny little burns are inevitable, I guess. I always do them fairly early in a burn as the metal parts won't have heated up too badly, and I use monkey fists, so there aren't any screws or anything on the wick itself. I'm often tempted to wear gloves just to stop my hands getting quite so sooty, but I'd say with adequate technique anything but the most minor of minor burns is unlikely.

Delete

aston
SILVER Member since Dec 2007

aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League

Total posts: 4061
Posted:Same. I tend not to wrap much any more because of the soot rather than a safety aspect.

You will get hot metal burns at some point, but they should be minimal and not serious.

This assumes that you know what you are doing.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

Derek_Faughn

DerekJF85

Posted:Those are nice. And i might invest in some so i can grab my poi head for a longer time, but i still dont think they are a must for spiral wraps.

James Dean

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Wow, today I was taking pictures for Facebook, and I hit myself i n the arm, everyone gasped, but to my amazement, noting happened, other than a little soot, nothing... I have now went up like 20 steps in my trust of fire. I think next time I might just go ahead and do a spiral wrap smile

Delete

Sister Eleven
GOLD Member since Aug 2009

Sister Eleven

owner of the group property

Total posts: 1277
Posted:Originally Posted By: Derek_FaughnThose are nice. And i might invest in some so i can grab my poi head for a longer time, but i still dont think they are a must for spiral wraps.

Well, the heads are actually much less likely to burn you than the hardware they hang from. The common wick for fire toys is also commonly used to insulate blast furnaces, so it doesn't get all that hot, relatively speaking. I'd be fine catching my poi by their heads, but I would not want to grab the swivels after a minute of burning...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Which is odd because right after I'm done It is fine for me to touch them and they're just a little warm. But I'll just assume it's because it's freezing outside.

Delete

Sister Eleven
GOLD Member since Aug 2009

Sister Eleven

owner of the group property

Total posts: 1277
Posted:Metals typically have a pretty low specific heat, which means with a heat source nearby it gets real hot fast, and when the heat source goes, it cools off pretty quick.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Delete

GOLD Member since Jul 2005

I cant think therefore Im not

Total posts: 291
Posted:We all love spirals but they do come with a cost to pay if you dont do it with presence and care. Take a look in the gallery and there is a new photo uploaded of a beautiful slug/blister from a spiralwarap I did the other day grin

"I dont like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

Delete

Derek_Faughn

DerekJF85

Posted:EWWW! I saw that! I've gotten blisters like that before, but not that big. That was massive!

James Dean

Delete

Dr.Babs
SILVER Member since Apr 2009

Dr.Babs

20% more: DIET ASBESTOS

Total posts: 34
Posted:i've only done over the head spiral-wraps with fire. My chains are a bit longer than i'd like, so getting into a wallplane spiral-wrap is sorta sketchy as of now.

Anyways, definitely prepare to lose some arm hair to your fire poi once you start playing with the spiral wraps. I'm probably gonna make a set of denim arm sheaths pretty soon though.

Delete

Stout
SILVER Member since May 2004

Stout

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1872
Posted:Yikes! I've never gotten one like that before and I do a lot of handwraps.

Delete

GOLD Member since Jul 2005

I cant think therefore Im not

Total posts: 291
Posted:The time will come for each and everyone of us wink
Uploaded another photo which is more dirty and simply more nasty but its a nice reminder for all of us to not getting to carried away with the fire when spinning, we are not immortal even though we are able to do spirals wraps blindfolded while walking on a slack line over Grand Canyon, accidents happens tongue2
Live & learn....

"I dont like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

Delete

LazyAngel
GOLD Member since Jul 2004

LazyAngel

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2895
Posted:One more thing - dipping gloves in water and then using them as protection has 2 results:

good - the gloves won't catch fire so easily
bad - you run the risk of steam burns by heating up the water in the material

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Delete

Mr Majestik
SILVER Member since Mar 2004

Mr Majestik

coming to a country near you

Total posts: 4693
Posted:i read the thread title as "spinal wrap with kerosene" laugh3

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Delete

aston
SILVER Member since Dec 2007

aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League

Total posts: 4061
Posted:Spinal tap with kerosene?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Oh god I don't want to picture that as I am terrified by the sight of needles.

Delete

Page: 1234