Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > The Poi "I just learned a new advanced move / combo" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Notcomelan3 turning,

that has wall plane similar to inversion.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
And I finaly manage after a long time of practice to get a flow in my splittime butterlfy wick to hand hybrid with turns and canging side to side WHOHOOOOOO! biggrin

And I also for a couple of days ago after more or less one year of practice time to time get the splitime butterfly buzzaw isolated, perfectly *BIGGEST SMILE* biggrin

Thats all from me for the moment biggrin

Spinning love from the swedish little fella! ubblove

//Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
a funny kind of through wrapped tangle. very satisfying smile first new move with poi for weeks...

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
today i started working on turning with tangled barrelrolls.. i also started on the reverse butterfly barrelroll smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pineapple pete

today i started working on turning with tangled barrelrolls.. i also started on the reverse butterfly barrelroll smile

hug

those are fun! Forwards being a bit harder, it seems. I can manage a split-time butterfly inversion, but not a same time. Is that even possible, to do a barrel roll inversion with same time butterfly?

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
-Flying nexus manipulation(negative, throw, one hand)
-Pendulum context(high opposite long arm)

-----------------------------------

Floating spin?

not yet,

POI THEO(R)IST

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
-Negative thru wrap (wrist, wall)

-------------

Only single hand, dual?

not yet,

POI THEO(R)IST

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
A bit lame and old-school but: forwards btb 5bt weave to reverse btb 5bt weave and back again, in the wall plane. My arms hurt.

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
^^^ lol - I remmeber the discussions where many people thought that those moves were actually impossible. Phunky showed us the way.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
They are impossible..
waves hand
These are not the driods you are looking for

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

jaikonewbie
19 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Richee

-Flying nexus manipulation(negative, throw, one hand)
-Pendulum context(high opposite long arm)

can you go into more detail as to what a flying nexus manipulation is?confused
and what a pendulum context is??confused
don't have any clue and would love to know more!! biggrin

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
It feels like we are a couple of people that would like to see Richee talk lite bit less in codes smile I wish I could understand cos it sounds so funny but it doesnt mater how hard I try, I gived up (sorry Richee) trying to understand and just enjoying he´s way of explaining smile

New stuff that I learnt :P

* In-time hybrid, wick to hand, in wallplane weave.

* Split-time butterfly hybrid, wick to hand with 180° turns.

* In-time, in- time butterfly and split-time butterfly islolations in wallplane and buzzaws with 180° turns.

* Vertical beatswitches

* Double throws with btb catch

* Orbital in cartwheel alà Nick W style :P

* Split-time butterfly 1 beat waistwrap

I hope all of that makes sence fpr everyone?

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
I think he may have been responding to my last post there regarding a same time butterfly inversion.

What I interpret (correct me if Im wrong) is that when you are doing a same time butterfly and you want to invert it (negative) you would do a throw with one hand. It makes sense, so that you can get both poi to pass the inverted plane and not tangle on your arms or each other.

Pendelum context I would have to practice, but I think its referring to the need for the poi which was not thrown to move into a pendelum manuever so that when you catch the flying poi, you can immediately return to a same time butterfly.

Im imagining this at work sans poi though, so this is all just a guess until I can get home and pull out the socks.

Im more interested in his following post. Richee, are you doing that behind the back or forwards wall plane? And how in the world do you keep it continuous?

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
Help me guys! smile

I did something yesterday that I never thought of before. It is an hybrid where for example the left hand isolates forward in buzzaw. The right is doing backward extension on the out side of your arm. And now the hands moves in a in-time butterfly where the right hand moves in the circle as the left hands and wick. But whats interesting is that managed to get my poi move in split-time butterfly while doing in-time butterfly.

So to make it short.

I did a split-time motion with my poi when I did a in-time butterfly with my arms.

Hard to explain, you guys understand?

I would love to see how it looks, Jonathan (AlienJon) do you have a animation of this kind of moves? I would love to see it but when I don`t know what im doing or what it`s called then I dont know what to look for frown

Or maybe it is all the "fog" in Pai that talks to me ubbangel

--------

Edit: I think I take everything back, it`s nothing.......I think biggrin I need to think more about this before I write anything, I`l be back biggrin
EDITED_BY: like my poi, my heart is on fire (1205059210)

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
you're just doin' a standard AndyBrid: old school Andy hybrid ...
but in butterfly wink

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
Yeah thats why i took it back very fast biggrin I realized what I did after an hour or so when i was out from the "fog" wink

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Thomas does it get rather "foggy" in Thailand? wink You might just need to sit around "burning incense" if it's already too foggy to post!

-Alien Jon

+Alien Jon

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Thomas:
The pattern called Olive 3B at 1:06~ in my 'unit circle hybrids' simulation is what you are doing:

Check out this video of Zan and I (and Aurora and Firegrace):

-Alien Jon

+Alien Jon

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Getting:

Hybrided Atomic Weave ( this feels so incredibly good when you have it going ).

Linear butterfly time & split time stuff.

Meetings.

Poly-rhythmic turns ( heaps of variations )

Hand pattern: 8(hands follow the path of an 8), butterfly poly-rhythm.

Lego poi madness

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Mireneye:
An 8 is made of 2 circles touching, right? No need to stop with 2, imagine a grid of circles tessellating to infinity, both vertically and horizontally, in the performance plane. If you can do a vertical 8 and a horizontal 8 then you know the transitions to play freely on the grid... Or maybe just spheres tessellating space. ubbloco ... Or maybe 6 surrounding 1, which grids out to 60 degree relations.....

+Alien Jon

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
 Written by :AlienJon

Mireneye:
An 8 is made of 2 circles touching, right? No need to stop with 2, imagine a grid of circles tessellating to infinity, both vertically and horizontally, in the performance plane. If you can do a vertical 8 and a horizontal 8 then you know the transitions to play freely on the grid... Or maybe just spheres tessellating space. ubbloco ... Or maybe 6 surrounding 1, which grids out to 60 degree relations.....

Actually the hands are just tracing the 8 like this:
Pattern Sequence 1 / Sequence 2
-- >
\ / ^ (down arrow)
-- < <
\ / ^ (down arrow)
-- >

Hands switching longarm/antispin circles for the poly rhythm.

Hope that made sense. The 2 sequences are put together.

Maybe that was what you were saying as well and I didn't understand. And if I understand your ideas correctly there is definitely craziness in there.

( damn my nice ascii was butchered by the forum, oh well hope it makes sense anyway )

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Mireneye:

I think we are talking about the same thing. If you look at that Video of Zan and I a few posts back, you'll see hints of this type of thing. Hopefully I'll get some more footage up , at least after Fire Drums, of stuff that is more directrly inline with what you are saying. I'm gonna render some quick sims and post another thread in a bit to get deeper into tracing the 8 path.

-Alien Jon

Edit:

Wow, the basic combinations of timing and direction for hand movement around an infinity 8 are rendered (didn't even render the alternate path around an 8 yet)... and my mind is reeling with the possibilities!! Among other things, I'm on the verge of wanting to think of split-time blfy as "horizontal time" and same-time blfy ans "vertical time". I've already been thinking like this, but what is coming out of the figure 8 stuff is making me think that split and same times take a back seat to the horizontal and vertical components of bfly timing relationships. This is gonna take a wile to upload on a slow cel phone dial-up... and I'm gonna save writing until after my mind settles down.
EDITED_BY: AlienJon (1205301117)

+Alien Jon

jaikonewbie
19 posts

Posted:
ALIEN JON loved the flick, way off topic but what video editing software are you using, very interested in knowing. thanx for the inspiration will keep try'n to nut out all the new tech you've given me

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
Got the split-time butterfly weave today and I almost got it isolated also :P

Is that a davanced move by the way? It`s called impossible weave if im not misstaken or maybe that is when the butterfly weave is in in-time?

And I also got a palm to palm piruette with a beatswitch to go palm to palm.

I need some help to figure out what this is (make a video tomorow).
Both poi spins in split-time in wallplane. Arm straight out on the sides and then pull the arms in to your body so the right wick almost touches your head while it flies over your shoulder isolated. The left do the same but flies under your armpit.
Does this make sense?

biggrin

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
 Written by :jaiko

ALIEN JON loved the flick, way off topic but what video editing software are you using, very interested in knowing. thanx for the inspiration will keep try'n to nut out all the new tech you've given me

I used 3d Studio Max 9 for the simulations. Zan did the editing (he rocks!), and used final cut pro (I believe).

Thomas:
If you are isolating a split-time bly weave, try to include some inversions with it... It's really fun!! ubbrollsmile

-Alien Jon

+Alien Jon

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the idea man, but it`s ahead of my time, there are other things I need to practice before I go in to the inversions in split-time butterfly.

*Isolate the split-time butterfly perfect in both directions and all around

*practice the meetingpoints and the buzzawplanes

And maybe then :P

Everything is comming to you sooner or later when you have all the basics biggrin

Thanks!

//Thomas

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
-Single Poi, single arm, elbow to wrist wrap.

-Single Poi, rope dart basic.

------------------

-Continual negative thru wrap.

-Even more rope dart basic.

-Continual thru wrap.

------------------

I'm thinking to decypher Alien unit circle,

into whole new thread, all about

this point of spinning view.

lightning,

POI THEO(R)IST

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
it took 2 days to get up this video because the connection sucks in the jungle biggrin

In the video I show some of the stuff I talked about above.

//Thomas

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
clap

Woot etc etc.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

jaikonewbie
19 posts

Posted:
truly amazing... thank you thomas wow

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
wow thanks for the nice words even though it`s not something really fancy I do in the video biggrin

Page: ...