SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
At least I think this is what it's called, if it isn't that would be why search came up with nothing. I have such a ridiculously bad time trying to get this. I can do it, but my mom described it as it looks like I'm tripping over my own feet. Does anyone have any tips to help with this? It is by far my favorite thing with fire period. It just looks so amazing and I want to get it before Friday if I can.
If you're wondering it's in this video at 2:20

EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1260927948)

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Nick does have a video on his spinning footwork on playpoi.com. He doesn't spend time on what you do with your arms in that sort of spin, but basically it works as a type of flower. If you can turn 360 while doing an in-spin chase flower, that's basically the motion your arms are trying to follow, except more continuously and a bit faster.

At least as I understand things. I'm still cleaning these up myself.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok, whirling, I thought that was just a horizontal term. Is there anything on the feel of it, because it feels awkward, and I can;t exactly look at myself in a mirror for this.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
You can if you use the mirror as your spotting point.

It feels awkward for me still, probably because I have not really tried to nail it.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

2,280 posts

Posted:
it feels like my arms are bobbing up and down, and it doesn't feel like I am keeping it in the same plane, but I think I am to an extent. I'm not sure if this is the correct feeling or not. Where could I practice this where I have a mirror? I can finally do it horizontally and I'm sure that'll look awesome, and I got the footwork for it decently good, but I've had no time to practice today because of government homework...

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
It looks and should feel like a barrel roll without the take-off (like in modern dance) I tried it today after watching the clip during my practice outside this afternoon. If you know someone who could do a barrel roll or the drills for a full one, do it with poi in hand and and you should be good (I'd avoid the launch with poi though unless you had a lot of practice, I tried a whacked myself pretty good however copying Nick's move went great).

Don't forget to spot or you'll get dizzy!!!

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

2,280 posts

Posted:
I don't know any dance terms, sorry. But my mom's friend from work has a daughter that might be willing to teach me things about the footwork and dancing of poi, though she does not know poi herself. As of spotting, I don't really do that, I just spin once the other way after I'm done and I'm fine.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
In this case the idea was tat you could use it to see whether you are still in plane.

Try a large glass door or window with a dark interior?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

2,280 posts

Posted:
I went outside in the cold, I was surprised that even while I was spinning I could at least see briefly what plane I was on, and I finally got it, it's not all down to 2nd nature yet, if I think about something else I come out of my circle. And when I'm outside, I seem to move in a much larger circle...

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
try this:

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hah, a little old, but for anyone who's wondering, that is the video to use.

I can already almost do it with antispin.

Looking back I think I saw this video before than lost it.

This is by far among the funnest things I ever learned. And the footing alone is great to know because you can combine it with other things.

I suggest everyone who can't do this to start learning it as soon as possible. There's just something magical about it grin

Edit: Holy censored I was just here a censored month ago!?!?!? Jeez I moved fast! O_O
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1263778485)