T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I was gazing at the fiber optics on the office x-mas tree and thought "they would be cool as poi strings". Had a look for fiber optics and came across this stuff which I thought could be pretty awesome (but pricy) for socks.

What do people think of this for the use of Sock poi?

Non-Https Image Link

I reckon it would look awesome. Have contacted the manufacturer to see if it would be possible to customise the materials.

It's a tableclothe (they have also made clothes and other stuff), not too sure what the actual material is, I am sure they would keep that pretty close to their chest, but it has fiber optics in it and powered with a LED light.

What ya reckon, would you be interested in socks made of this stuff?

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1260762331)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
I'm not entirely sure fibre optics would be able to stand up to the amount of force and stress poi is put up to, although this is actually a really cool concept.

This statement is false...?

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
That's one of the questions I have asked them. If people are interested I will post their reply in here.

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm not sure you could make an ENTIRE sock poi out of this stuff but it would be pretty cool for flag poi and tailed poi.

Quick question, where's the light source?

I would like to see the reply, because this material is pretty interesting.

This statement is false...?

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
The light source is a battery powered LED.

https://www.luminex.it/
<--- can be found here, I should have read the FAQ.

Perhaps it could be used as an outer layer, i.e a "sock" for your sock poi.

I am more concerned about the durability of it, they do say it would need to be treated delicatley... But it depends what their definition of delicate is.

50 euros for 35 x 50 cm sheet.

Can come in:

Black fabric w/ white optics
Black fabric w/ blue optics
black fabric w/ green optics
Susanna fabric w/ brass/white optics
Susanna fabric w/ brass/blue optics

It looks good no? wink
\/

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1260763495)

AtrumBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I actually had an idea inspired by a friend who DID make som fiber optic poi. He started with his normal sock poi and just wove the fiber optics up it untill it met up with the glowing poi ball, and had a microlight attached next to his palm as the light source...

My plan was very similar, after researching the different types of fiber optic wires, I found on called "sideglow" which basically means (as i came to understand it) that it isn't insulated like the kinds used tor telecommunications or decoration. It shines more like a neon tube light, but with greater flexibility. So, for this to work, obviously the poi shouldnt have any stretch to them as it would put tention on our potentially fragile fiber optic... Im getting into to much detail on this...

Anyway, its like a basic led poi, but with the fiber optic running up the length of the string and not actually connecting to the poi ball, and the micro light attached to the handle for easy push pulsing or to switch and leave on. Thinking about it pratically, not only would it make the viewing expirence greater witht he glowing strings, but if could be good for learning by using 2 different colored lights. This way not only could the person who you're teaching (yes i said the teacher would have them, if i had them i honestly wouldnt let anyone touch them in a million years. To many potential problems with beginners)see the poi tracks, but the lights on the handles could show the hand positions to the student.

I will be working on making a pair of these for myself and possibly using a different type of optic so if you want any more info, or a less confusing description, just send me a message of some sort and i will definatly help out ^^
EDITED_BY: Atrum (1290684301)

"what are those things in the sky?"
"those? well those are stars, and if you look at them to long they will eat your soul"