Forums > Technical Discussion > Why Do Advanced Poi Spinners Use Rope(edit) Poi?

Login/Join to Participate

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
You know the cable with just tape at the ends. Seems like they're less like how you want poi to behave than anything else.
EDITED_BY: Lye (1262110187)

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
cable poi? could you maybe show a video of someone using them?
are you talking about these?:
https://nevisoul.com/nevisoul/Gear_files/IMGP5547.jpg

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Them Nevisoul poi are great, cracked some colecord on them and they spin like a dream grin

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
No one I know uses cable poi. Cable poi are fire poi with aircraft cable for chains....they suck...

as for the bike tire poi...they weight the poi very much towards the head, without having much weight to the string, this makes isolations and cateyes much easier, and helps you train your stalls to be much more precise.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I also think with them because they are plain and a bit bland, they take the focus away from "look at this pretty pattern I can make" and push you to work on the technical side of things a bit more (not tech "moves" but stuff like planes etc),

Is this what you mean?

Non-Https Image Link

I wouldn't spin with them, the cable looks horrible, quite stiff I should imagine... I don't know for sure, but wouldn't that make it harder to do lots of tangle and loops stuff?

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
My friend had a bash on my Nevisoul poi, and agreed that they are possibly the best "practice poi" he has played with. They flow really really well, and are superb for all the stuff mentioned by TB.
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1260768230)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I hate cable poi.

I've been spinning over 7 years now, and I have never liked them at all.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Bike tire poi?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Derek_FaughnDIAMOND Member
DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
The picture of those poi look gross!

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I know a few professional performers, and I've never heard one of them say a good thing about cable poi. Heat is not kind to metal cable, and the stuff isn't really even as flexible as chain. So I don't know what performers actually do use cable, but I am not sure why they would.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFootI hate cable poi.

I've been spinning over 7 years now, and I have never liked them at all.
Amen brother!

Cake or Death?

TankboySILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
Bike tire poi --> poi made from coiling bike inner tube around a rope/cord.

you know, the dense rubber ended bland tech poi poi.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Ah, ok. Why not leave the cord as it is though?

Have not come across the idea before, hence the questions.

81LLBRONZE Member
pant crafting
97 posts

Posted:
the cord isnt covered all the way up
- the rubber is rolled up into a cylinder on the end of the rope

No air drumming - Bruford could change the timing up so fast you could snap your wrist!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Ah....

*gets it now*

270 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: _Poiboy_cable poi? could you maybe show a video of someone using them?
are you talking about these?:
https://nevisoul.com/nevisoul/Gear_files/IMGP5547.jpg

These guys:

As far as I know their like cable with rubber wrapped around the end.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Interesting... I never used electric cable/wire for poi...

the metal cable though is a pain in the neck (and the hands, once broken - and it will break at some stage)... would be interesting to try...

yet there must be something wrong with it, because once "pro" nobody plays with them tongue2 wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

TankboySILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
Its rope...not cable.

270 posts

Posted:
So for these rope poi. The popularity is because of the weight distribution?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I'd say that the popularity is down to personal preference.
It might also depend on who you class as advanced - you might only know a specific group of spinners who all use them.

The majority of advanced spinners I know use sock poi, some of them use weighted handles too.

I've always gone down the "point weight" poi when spinning, i.e - the only weight I can feel is at the head of the poi. My double length tube core fire poi are on small ball chains. grin
I find it hep you to feel where the poi are, and where they are going.... I think.

e6SILVER Member
we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
45 posts

Posted:
i believe the allure of the "bike inner-tube rolled on the end of a rope poi" poi, comes down to two things:

1. you can make them in about 3 minutes w/ stuff you have lying around the house
2. their flight and tangle properties are fantastic

furthermore, they have a skinny profile, which makes tight patterns easier. the minimalistic design emphasizes a light tether w/ as much weight as possible distributed to the end of the poi, which is great for isolations. also, they don't get the twisties like sock poi, and are more responsive since they're not stretchy like socks.

if you don't have spare bike inner-tubes lying around, i've found you can get neoprene weather stripping for fairly cheap at hardware stores. this is softer, which is nice, but not as heavy, which not nice.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
The most common rope poi I've seen used since I started are ones like Ronan's contact poi. In this case, nylon or polypropylene rope is really light I imagine it lets the head and handle weight control the movement of the poi. And if you're doing a lot of throws as well, something like Colecord doesn't leave much to grab back onto. Additionally, rope can be quite visible, and you might want it for some of the same reasons you'd want cone poi. At least, this is what occurs to me; please correct me if you use this kind of hardware and my guesses are wrong. But I imagine the choice hinges on these sorts of considerations.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Quote:if you don't have spare bike inner-tubes lying around, i've found you can get neoprene weather stripping for fairly cheap at hardware stores. this is softer, which is nice, but not as heavy, which not nice.

I just get them from the bike store, they have lots of punctured, useless tubes in the garbage and are more than willing to give them up for free.

I don't have any bike tire poi ( my practice heads are three 2 inch cathedrals duct taped together ) but I do have an inner tube staff.

The way I've wound it on, it actually looks like a fire staff.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Incidentally, I made a pair of the inner tube sort (I like to try most gear types I hear about) and they are pretty yummy. My usual practice poi have been weighted tennis balls on colecord, I think the slimmer profile and lack of shifting weights makes them a little cleaner, though not enormously so.

Still looking for something to make them a little more visible though. The hot pink duct tape isn't quite the thing once they get going.