Forums > Expressive movement / costumes and props > Bamboo and Hemp clothing for fire spinning?

Login/Join to Participate

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
These are both organic fabrics and I was wondering if anyone had fire safety info on wearing clothing made from these materials for spinning. Anyone used these or knows anything about possible flame test results?

Trying to have all my ducks in a row before proceeding on this journey. All information and replies are greatly appreciated!
thankx

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I don't have any direct experience with these fibers, but my sweetie has a bit of welding experience and says that many fibers that call themselves bamboo are actually synthetic or processed enough to act like synthetics. Probably you should scrap test such materials first. Hemp, however, should be fine in all the same general sorts of ways that cotton or linen is.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
The first time I tried fire spinning was in heavy gauge hemp trousers, (and I certainly hit myself enough back then..)- it seemed to act somewhere between heavy cotton/denim- however, I'd strongly recommmend you have a play with scraps and a flame before deciding to spin wearing a fabric you're not sure about.
Proper hemp is not going to melt into you though regardless, and that's the main worry. Just if it's a bit thin it may catch fire a bit easy.

I'll try 'borrow' a bit of bamboo wool off my housemate tonight and have a go at torching it.. see what it does wink

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yup, bamboo is processed like rayon is, so not only is it kinda not what it says on the tin, just using a different cellulose source. Plus not very 'organic' or green. In that a - processed and b - what chemicals are they using for the dye and bleaching and such like. It can be organic as you like, and then they can bleach it white and poison the environment that way.

Finding really actually 'green' t-shirts is like the holy grail of ethical t-shirt printers. I don't think anybody has done it yet.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: hamamelis
I'll try 'borrow' a bit of bamboo wool off my housemate tonight and have a go at torching it.. see what it does wink

I'd be very interested to hear the results of this! Glad to hear heavy hemp results (I have pants and shirts).

I'm a little sad to hear about bamboo but I'm pretty sure the shirts are dark nature colors so they wouldn't have to be processed with bleach. The shirts are Satori Movement so I'll do some research on that. I have some organic cotton tees made with organic pigment dyes so I didn't even question eco-friendly bamboo.

Thanks much for the feedback guys and let me know about the bamboo wool experiment when you get a chance grin

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Ok, I didn't do a proper full test on a woven bit of fabric, I just tried with a bit of bamboo wool, but even twisting it very tight, and putting a flame in the middle of the (quite thick) thread, it still caught flame very fast- say 1-2 seconds, and the bit burned up faster than I was expecting.

It didn't seem to leave a sticky melted type residue, like a plastic based thread would, but still, not much use for spinning in.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

letitburnslacker of biblical proportions
44 posts

Posted:
dont use bamboo for fire equipment the censored explodes

float like a butterfly and sting like when i pee

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok since this is about clothing and I've looked at these kinds of cltothes (what I think they are) and I can g et them out of hemp or linen easily. I want some poi-ing pants. I really like how Nick's kind look a lot, but it's just too poofy for me to use. So I was thinking more like the kind Nevisoul uses. For a close up view o what I mean look here:

I don't need anything fancy, but I'm shooting to just buy plain black, 1 because I love black, and 2 because soot won't show. I found what might be it as "Karate Pants," but felt like asking you guys because I'm being offered poi pants of my choosing for my birthday. And I would love action pants, but as I said, I think it's too poofy.

Here's what I found in hemp: https://www.rawganique.com/PantsKarate.htm

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Wrap pants are also super easy to make and border on one size fits all. All you need is two fabric rectangles that are as long as the pants you want and plenty wide; in the middle of the edge that will go around your waist cut a U shape out and sew the pieces together along the edge of that U. Trim the extra width and sew ties to the waist. Hella comfy, loose, flowy pants.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a good way to go smile I'll look what materials we can get.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Unless you give them quite a big overlap or use a fairly heavy fabric, the sides can fly open when you move around. But you can either just pin them near your knees, or add extra ties near the knees.

I'm about to make another pair of these soon so I have good summer time spinning pants. Hopefully I can find a good natural fiber canvas.

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I'm modifying a pair of scrubs from the crazy house for a pair of "flow pants". They are so comfortable! I'll post a pic in here later, still need to add some pockets, and make them a little more visually interesting as they are horribly boring right now.

A note on using scrubs: they are not always 100% cotton, depending on the manufacturer they may have up to 40% synthetic fabric in them.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

SpeshBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I've heard some bad stuff about bamboo fiber. It's great for casual wear, but a friend of mine tried to dye some via the usual microwave method (pretty common practice for dyeing fibers). She put it in the microwave and the bamboo fiber burst into flames. She took a potholder and took the tray out of the microwave and put a pot lid over the whole thing. The fire went out. She lifted the lid, and the flame reignited. It wasn't until she dumped the whole thing into the sink that the flames finally went out. Since it's a resinous fiber, it can melt, then burn and burn and burn.

However, that's only the rayon-type bamboo, which is processed with lye. That's the one that's super-silky and soft. The linen-type bamboo is probably safer since it's made the same way as linen, with retting, but you might want to find out for yourself before wearing it while you burn. It's not as soft or luxurious, but it may be safer than rayon bamboo.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
hemp is good for lots o stuff like fire resistant clothing and a material similar to concreate that weighs half as much and is stronger

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus