Forums > Social Chat > I'm not shy when I spin

Login/Join to Participate

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
So I'm painfully shy and socially inept. When I moved to Seattle the only people I knew were from IRC; it was two years before I really started hanging out with them, and another four years before I met anyone else.

At the end of July I started poi. I soon started attending local spin jams and music events that the jams crashed, and I am at least on friendly small-talk terms with a number of other spinners (which is a big deal for me). A number of the events I've attended have been of a size that would have normally freaked me out, but I was fine with poi in hand.

Any other shy spinners find that their skill toy of choice has helped them get over their difficulties a little?

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Yes, me. I am a very shy person, and just practicing poi is helping me with it. Why it is, I don't know... but I like it.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
me as well. I never really feel like the bad ass i am without my staff smile

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Me. I started getting to know a lot more people after spinning, mainly because they are interested in and I'm the only one in the area but that just pushes me to get out more.

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'm the only one anywhere near me that spins, the fact that I am hasn't got out yet, but once I get my parents approval on when I can, I'll invite my friend Isaac and then some random people to my first burn. I feel like that I am going to make some, and by some I mean many, new friends because of fire spinning which is at this point all I really want out of life.

skipopididstranger
5 posts

Posted:
I have quite a few friends that have had the same sort of experience.. and i think it is mostly because poi is a great ice breaker. Either you talk to other spinners and have a common topic to talk about, or you have people coming up to you that are impressed with your skill or would like to learn for themselves

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
Its surprisingly common. I’m a incredibly shy person however when spinning, Sword fighting or standing in front of a class of students I’m a different person. It’s a persona that I take on were I don’t care what people think of me and in doing so they see me as confident. Hell I’ve even done a nude shoot where there was both males and females in the pictures.

Spinner of Detroit I can count the people I call friends on one hand and I class my self as lucky I can do that. Don’t confuse someone who wants to hang out with you because your cool and someone who want to be your friend. A friend will stick by you when you need them.
Just be careful ok.

2,280 posts

Posted:
People like that I would consider my best friends, my terminology is a bit different I guess. Truly, I would love to have more as you would say, "people I can hang out with." I of course would love to get to know people and make new friends, because not much people really know me, and I think I could have a lot of friends if they get to know me, because out of school, when I'm with friends or "acquaintances" I am a very outgoing crazy person. But I just get so uncomfortable when I'm not around people I know that I never talk to people. Once I break the ice though, I open up and become who I truly consider myself to be. When I go to college I was actually consider having people call me by a different name, because whenever I hear someone call me Vinny, I feel like I am being, well I don't know, I'm just going to list some words that describe the mixed feeling I get: subdued, put down, made fun of, insulted, shoved away, or just something similar to when someone tells you to shut the hell up and go away, I don't like you... I feel very strong about this, and if you think I'm kidding or exaggerating, I'm not. It's such a terrible feeling. I feel less important, like the person that doesn't belong, and they don't want to be there, a third wheel if you want to put it that way. All caused just by being called by what I have since I was born.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: CJdarkMe. I started getting to know a lot more people after spinning, mainly because they are interested in and I'm the only one in the area but that just pushes me to get out more.

Seattle is kind of saturated with spinners, so it's not really impressive as much to folks here. But having a lot more people around who know the skill means there are plenty of people to trade tips with, there are people who "get it" when you make some kind of cool breakthrough, and there's plenty of inspiration to be found. And people who've shared the experience of twirling a roaring flame around them tend to develop a sense of camaraderie. It's actually kind of interesting to me that it still works as an icebreaker where there's so many of us.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I miss my spinning days. I've lost the shy old me and well wanna get involved in spinning with some twirler peeps smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
oh man, and once you become a fire spinner you get laid like everynight.....

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

LunakiPoi Goddess
16 posts

Posted:
There are very few spinners here in Oklahoma so when I spin people go "Wow, teach me too?" I went to a potluck the other night and when a few people heard I would spin for them a bit they got excited. They asked me if I wanted to show it to everyone and I was like "Sure, if you are the one to announce it." I have been a very shy person most of my life and this semester I decided that I wanted to bloom a bit.

I found poi not too long after school started and it has helped me a lot. I still have my shy moments but I have been trying hard to be communicative. Poi definitely helps and everyone always asks me what it is. We have a club on campus and I have been there 3 months and am already one of the better spinners and am teaching a few of my friends too smile

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Pojeoh man, and once you become a fire spinner you get laid like everynight.....
I like the sound of that...
Going from a secluded who has almost succeeded at getting a girl friend about 6 times, to a player...
I might just change my mind, THIS is what I want out of life right now grin
I also kind of hope at most, get like 1 other person that spins with me at my school, because I'd rather have it be like my thing
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1260839090)

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
ya you're going to get SOOOO much p*$$&
EDITED_BY: Poje (1260891696)

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Oh, it'll be on camera. when I make my first burn and get the video up, I'll post it on the forums. And put it on my facebook, and get a pic for my profile pic on facebook. I wanted an exposure of me doing a wallplane split-time 3 petal antispin flower. That or me doing angel wings, no nvm, I'll wait until I next go to my cottage, when it's warm and I can do it next to the water ^^
And Poje, that is very nice to know, and now that I think of it, it is one of the root reasons I started this, to pull me out of my social hellhole.
On another note: Hmmmm, maybe I should buy condoms with my kerosene XD
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1260915040)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Oh, I can be sexy, you just have to know me, sometimes not even that much... ubbrollsmile Some of the best people I know are kept to themselves in public. I go in that group of course...
Edit!!!!: OMG I HAD AND AWESOME AND DANGEROUS IDEA! I thought of it when I saw the quote of me buying condoms with my kerosene. Kerosene balloons! Have a flame on the ground somewhere, stand way back, and BOOM!, flaming kerosene everywhere whistle
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1260922529)

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
Part of me feel the need to point out that what you are thinking is possibly the daftest idea I’ve read in a little while.
Another part of me says that’s kind of cool.
So...... So I know this isn't going to come a cross very well but here goes.
Please treat fire like it’s a pet dog or something, it can be temperamental.
A big pet dog that’s faster and has a lot more teeth than you. You can play quite rough with it just don’t louse your respect for it.

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Don't even think about those Kero-balloons. Explosive fire is a baaad idea, it would send burning Kerosene all over the place, which isn't really fun.

And for some reason I totally see this happening after your first burn:
"Hello lady, did you see those flaming antispins over there? that was me. Your place or mine? ;)"

tongue2

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
a balloon full of kero placed over a candle or something is most likely going to splash the flame out and waste a whole bunch of kero. Dont think it will ignite.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Trust me, I learned that the hard way doing something else. Although at this point I do feel very confident in my spinning wink