Forums > Help! > Starting with fire poi

Login/Join to Participate

Nikadinewbie
40 posts

Posted:
I've spun with fire before however this Christmas I'm getting my own set of fire poi. The poi are on the way now so I'd like to know where I can get fuel (major UK retailers or just suggestions, if I can get it online even?) and what types of fuel I should get, etc.

Not only that, but I was hoping that I could be directed towards safety tips and what I need to know before starting out with fire as I'd like to be as safe as possible as I use my new toys come Christmas!

Also, what would I need to check with my poi when they arrive? They've been brought from ebay and my Mum didn't think to ask me for advice on them before buying and instead asked my boyfriend, who doesn't know a thing about poi. So I'm hoping that they're from one of the ebay shops and new rather than second hand and worn.

EDITED_BY: Nixi_the_Pixi (1260314950)

I'm a nanny and a poi person (well, I attempt the latter!)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I'm not gonna lie, with parents, they're gonna be whatever they saw that was cheap. They will probably come covered in soot, if they are, then you know they're used. If they're not, than someone made them, they are faulty and someone decided that they'll ell it instead of tossing it, or your mom is awesome and somehow got a good pair.I as well just got my first set and cannot light them until Christmas frown I may be able to talk out of that for some very good reasons that they may understand (I'll give you a hint, it has to do with a girl wink ) And yeah, I got to choose my pair, I got this: https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Pro-Series-Cords-with-Cathedral-Fire-Poi
They just came in today and omg I love them, they feel much heavier than I expected and I already feel that amazing feeling like I'm doing it with fire (only what I picture the feeling to be like) and I know the actual thing will blow me and me friends watching away. I also am deciding whether or not to have music playing. I'm leaning towards not. And from recent experience, it is so great to get them. Who knows, maybe she picked a pair of brand new Isis poi with pro series handles and diamond plated chains. tongue2

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Use parafin smile

You can buy it in Homebase, B&Q, even some petrol stations, hardware stores usually have some too.

Things to check are the links - try pulling them all apart as hard as you possibly can - if they break, they were not strong enough anyway and you can send them back. If they don't break, they should be fine smile

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Also, check for fraying and such.

If you know someone experienced who spins, get them to have a look. Otherwise, yeah, check all the links.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I just had a quick look through eBay and i didn't see anything I'd classify as dangerous for sale ( no used sets either ). Sure there was lots of sets made with split rings out there, which you do have to keep an eye on as they deform before eventually breaking. It's an issue for sure but they don't just fail unexpectedly.

What i was looking for were those cheap sets of Thailand made poi, the ones made with the white wicking. I know there used to be a major distributor active on eBay, but that was a couple of years ago and i guess they packed it in. Those sets *can* be dangerous due to not only shoddy construction but those super cheap swivel clips that the Thais favour in their construction.

I'd go with the idea of having someone whose familiar with these toys check them out before lighting them up. Failing that, just spin them for an hour or so then examine them with a critical eye.

I once bought a set of double wick poi. They were tubecores with dowelling running down inside the tube and an eyebolt screwed and glued into the doweling to attach the chains to. All was well for months until that one fateful day when I was (luckily) practicing with them unlit and I screwed up a butterfly move, which led to the poi heads crashing together with a serious impact which shattered the dowelling and sent the heavier wick on the end, flying.

The remnants of that set now reside in my poi parts box. BTW, it wasn't a HoP set, but from "this guy I met"

One thing I did see on eBay though...someone using Nick Woolsey's and Kael got Rice's LED pictures to sell their coloured flames dyes.

Nikadinewbie
40 posts

Posted:
Spinneofdetroit: Brilliant and accurate description of parents tongue2

My Mum chose the cheapest she could find, however she showed me them today and they look somewhat decent, I'm allow to inspect them when they arrive in case she has to send them back. They actually look like the ones you can get on here so I'm hoping that they are. They're ball chains, the usual changeable heads (they come with kevlar heads and some leather things with pretty colours attached haha) and leather finger loops.

So links and pulling it. How can I check for signs of shoddy construction and these thai clips?

Nikadinewbie
40 posts

Posted:
Spinneofdetroit: Brilliant and accurate description of parents tongue2

My Mum chose the cheapest she could find, however she showed me them today and they look somewhat decent, I'm allow to inspect them when they arrive in case she has to send them back. They actually look like the ones you can get on here so I'm hoping that they are. They're ball chains, the usual changeable heads (they come with kevlar heads and some leather things with pretty colours attached haha) and leather finger loops.

So links and pulling it. How can I check for signs of shoddy construction and these thai clips?

2,280 posts

Posted:
HA I KNEW IT! I'm glad my parents are willing to fork up the extra dough for safety, and that they let me choose ^_^ My mom knew, unlike my dad apparently, because he didn't know my mom told me until we told him, that if she bought it without my knowing, they would get me something bad, that I don't want, is too small, and possibly dangerous to use (construction-wise)
Thank god my mum is really smart, just like me, I taught her well tongue2
Also if you ever get the chance, get a chain, or set if you wait that long, from HoP. It's all built with really high quality and with user safety well in mind with the best of service and a great return policy. I've had to replace something before and they're just like "OK, just tell me what cord you were using, blah blah blah, and I'll get you're replacement heads right out for you." And they did, because the PVC loops in my LED poi ripped from too many orbitals.
Did it happen to be this for $15? https://cgi.ebay.com/Fire-Poi-Ball-Chain-...=item2a031661ee

Nikadinewbie
40 posts

Posted:
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=220522074414&view=all&tid=0

Those are what she's brought me.
EDITED_BY: Nixi_the_Pixi (1260439396)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Quote:This purchased item information is no longer available.

There are a number of reasons why this information isn't available. The most common reason is that item details for purchases are not kept for more than 90 days.

frown

Nikadinewbie
40 posts

Posted:
Ah, well they look like they are link chains which is a pain, however the rest of them look relatively fine, the kevlar rolls look very well secured so it may just be a case of buying myself some ball chains as back up smile

2,280 posts

Posted:
I got oval link chains and they're so nice on the hands for going shirt and they don't tangle easily, which might be the result of 2 swivels. But does yours have a swivel or swivels? And where is it if it has only one?

Nikadinewbie
40 posts

Posted:
Okay, got them through late yesterday: two swivels, one at either end of the poi, I'm not really sure what to expect of swivels though, they look a bit flimsy, is this normal? The links look like steel if I can describe them as such I suppose and look like the joints are welded very well so not likely to break. The kevlar bits themselves are rolls and not very heavy at all as the middle is a roll of metal with kevlar surrounding it. The finger loop is a gigantic leather thing so I may swap that as I'm used to two fingerloops not one over two/three fingers. They have those keyring rings at either end as well attaching the swivels to the fingerloop/poi.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Can we get a picture of it?

philhewsBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
I've never been a fan of split rings (keyring) on any poi, certainly not fire. I just don't trust them, there may well be some sets that have sufficiently strong rings, but fully soaked fire poi weigh a lot and put a lot of force on the ring.

Just my thoughts and something to check/look out for when you're spinning them, make sure to check them before and after each burn and stop if there is any deformation.

Or buy a couple of quicklinks and use those instead smile

2,280 posts

Posted:
I'm happy with my HoP fire poi, because instead of a split ring, it has welded rings wink

Nikadinewbie
40 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the replys guys smile I haven't had a chance to use them yet, mainly been snowing a lot since Christmas so I haven't been able to find anywhere to do it within walking distance frown But I'll spin them without fire down the beach and watch out for the deformities before I dare set the things on fire grin