Page:
_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
This is the same as the staff goals thread, but for poi.
Basically, write down some of your goals for your poi spinning this year.
Anyway, here are mine :

1) Work on my dancing
2) Play with stall combos
3) Get better at contact poi
4) Clean up antispin flower stalls
5) Clean up throws
6) Finish my fire poi routine and my manipulation poi routine.
7) Make more tutorials
8) Do paid workshops, preferably outside Israel.
9) Perform a lot more
10) Go to: Firedrums, CBY, EJC, Bristol JC, Motion festival.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about getting a cup, because imagine having that one performance where you screwed up, but you didn't screw up0 in a way that could be hidden, because it hit you in the nuts, you can't just keep spinning! You fall to the ground and hold your crotch like your about to die and everyone laughs about how stupid that guy is, don't ever do that or you'll end up like him. Or you can get a cup and no one might ever even notice the mistake. grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: brenonfire413The butterfly is a trick that men suffer for. Though I bet a solid thump to the cootch doesn't feel too good either. But still, the points at which the poi tangle will hit you in two places: your junk or your head.

Whilst learning the behind the head butterfly I did once manage to wrap the tethers around both wrists and then hit myself in the back of the head pretty hard...

Originally Posted By: brenonfire413Ladies, it is a pain you will NEVER know,

Reputedly being hit in the ovary is as painful, but it takes a particularly athletic couple and the absolutely wild sutra to do it eek, it's not generally considered to be a risk from spinning. grin

Originally Posted By: brenonfire413Yeah, that's all well and good for spinners that know what they're doing. Unfortunately I am not one of those and at this point, a lot of bodily impacts result all over.

I think everyone hits themself a bit when they're starting - I certainly did. Hence Nick Woolsey's recent vid about the first thing you should do with your poi: hit yourself a bit and if it hurts (over not particularly sensitive parts of the body) get yourself some softer ones, because when you're first learning you will hit yourself.

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: brenonfire413 Personally, a little bit of protection is nice for when s**t hits the fan. I do a lot of bouldering, and it's nice having that big crash pad to fall on, even though it's not 100% necessary all the time.

nice! another climber (though being a boulderer is stretching that label a bit duck)
When I too, wrestle with pebbles I work a whole lot better and achieve far more when I know the safety of a mat is there for when I push the limits of my capabilities.

WHile I also know that if you focus on falling you probably will fall, the security of a safety net makes it easier to try new things.

getting back to cups and poi, while I think that the more you think about hitting your junk, the more it will happen. Having a cup may make you spin more confidently, and then you can slowly remove the cup when your ready (slowly cause I imagine removing it whilst spinning will be quite difficult)

I have no need of a cup because I truly believe that I have good enough technique for it not to happen, So I have a confident style to begin with, the downside to this is that when I do hit myself not only do I get the intence pain, but the surprise and shock tend to magnify it and apparantly the look on my face is priceless.

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: brenonfire413Yeah, that's all well and good for spinners that know what they're doing. Unfortunately I am not one of those and at this point, a lot of bodily impacts result all over. Of course the end goal is to be graceful enough to not make an issue of it at all! tongue2

We all been there dude wink

I spent a lot of time on my knees almost crying when I first started... Still do on occasions. Personally I find not hitting myself more rewarding than hitting myself and it not hurting tongue2

Also spinning slower lessens the pain, and teaches more control and accuracy smile
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1262833925)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: T-S-APersonally I find not hitting myself more rewarding than hitting myself and it not hurting tongue2

Also spinning slower lessens the pain, and teaches more control and accuracy smile

Very good points. All things in time. It's like when we were kids, we all had hard enough times learning to ride bikes. This is sort of similar, except it's two bikes, and they're on fire, and flying around inches away from your body...

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: brenonfire413Originally Posted By: T-S-APersonally I find not hitting myself more rewarding than hitting myself and it not hurting tongue2

Very good points. All things in time. It's like when we were kids, we all had hard enough times learning to ride bikes. This is sort of similar, except it's two bikes, and they're on fire, and flying around inches away from your body...

Exactly right grin

Although I would advise being good at not hitting yourself before cracking on with fire wink

As the old saying goes, Hendrix didn't become a guitar hero in a day wink

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Poi is like riding a bike: you never really forget how to do it and when you mess up it hurts.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: brenonfire413

What are you using for practice? I don't think it's normal to be hitting yourself so frequently come to think of it. Are your chains the right length (or are you wrapping sock poi short enough)? Are you using practice fluffies or soft head covers? And are you comfortable with your grip type?

Basically is your setup the best it can be for you strength, height, and arm length for optimal control? Also do you have good instruction (DVD or experienced person who can teach well)?

All important things to take into account.... yes

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Well, idk so much about that, because I can control it just about no matter what the length, unless it's like 6ft long O_O But it might be different for someone still just learning, but I'm not sure because I got the medium length cone poi as a first and they are pretty much threadbare at the teather and I don't use them because I'm afraid the end of one will come off and break something.

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitWell, idk so much about that, because I can control it just about no matter what the length, unless it's like 6ft long O_O But it might be different for someone still just learning, but I'm not sure because I got the medium length cone poi as a first and they are pretty much threadbare at the teather and I don't use them because I'm afraid the end of one will come off and break something.

rolleyes

Seriously, chain length and weight combined with your own physical build are a huge factor in control and momentum. You don't need to take physics to understand that and perhaps you could spin better if you had the perfect setup for your body, that was a pretty ignorant and obnoxious statement SoD and I can guarantee that you would have a hard time controlling L or XL chains over S or M... spank

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

2,280 posts

Posted:
I've never had L or XL, what I'm saying is that when my socks stretch out, there's not much problem controlling them and when I swing fats they get pretty damn long O_O but that's one reason I don't like the Foxxy socks, they cant be spun fast at all and stretch way too much... I want another cone poi frown I wan actually thinking of using some extra 4ft colecords to make some really long poi cords for me LED's so I could lenghten them really long at will for a cool effect grin When it gets warm, I'll tell you how it works tongue2 I think it would be pretty sweet. Also, I think maybe controlling long cords or chains may be not so difficult to a more experienced spinner as compared to a beginner. Do you get my point? Also, what I first started with before I got swome real poi were pretty long, so that might be part if it, back then I knew nothing about poi por what length they should be. Btw I used belts (ow) I remeber my first week or two, my legs covered in bruises and once a giant lump opn my head, man those were the days, the painful days tongue2

787 posts

Posted:
It doesn't matter how experienced you are it will effect your range of motion, plain and simple. You're really digging yourself a hole here and I'm just trying to help Brenonfire out so just chill. I think you'd do better and move cleaner with shorter chains than in your videoyes

We're all different heights (and arm spans) so we need different lengths just like we all have a different amount of arm strength so different weights work better or worse for different people.

I can swing with my husband's L ball chains but it's not comfortable and my movement is limited, I also don't like his leather handles because I can't get a comfortable grip with them but when I jump down to M I do well and I just ordered S to see if I can get more control for stalls and such. When my socks stretch I wrap them shorter to make up for it and it's helpful. Equipment can effect your performance and it has nothing to do with your skill level.

Ya dig?
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1262987421)
EDIT_REASON: added an example

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
I haven't tried shorted chanins, they're about the length of my thumb almost to my shoulder. If I ever get enough money I might get multiple chains, but I can shorten them by wrapping, but thats pretty uncomfortable. Also, I like the long chain look, some shorter ones though might make my isolations cleaner. But as for the fire, I think my smoothness might have to do with my still being nervous around fire. When I shorten them about 1 wrap around my hand though, unless I'm doing buzzaw type stuff, I find it much harder to control. And yes I do happen to dig wink

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
As a very random sidenote now that the strechyness of sock poi came up.. I saw this one guy on youtube who had colecord go through his socks (like, the ball inside the sock was attached to colecord, which went up the length of the sock and came through a hole in the other end). So basically he was getting the feel of colecord and the visual effect of sock poi. It looked kinda nifty, because then he could also attach pro series handles to the colecord, and still have it look like a sock poi.

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNovice
What are you using for practice? I don't think it's normal to be hitting yourself so frequently come to think of it. Are your chains the right length (or are you wrapping sock poi short enough)? Are you using practice fluffies or soft head covers? And are you comfortable with your grip type?

Basically is your setup the best it can be for you strength, height, and arm length for optimal control? Also do you have good instruction (DVD or experienced person who can teach well)?

All important things to take into account.... yes

They are the Dube poi with red balls at the end. The actual length of the chain is 19 1/2" so it's not like they're crazy long. Think maybe I should have gotten a different color and that's the problem?? tongue2

And I'm entirely self taught. I know of no other people locally that spin poi. I've messaged people here that are from this area but haven't heard back from anyone. It would be awesome to have some other people to bounce ideas off of and share advice, but nobody is presently appearing.

Oh and I did eventually get the 3-beat weave. Actually as soon as I'm done with this post I'm going to practice it some more. Been so busy with my artwork and preparing to move I haven't had much practice time.

2,280 posts

Posted:
You know, if that's what you're learning at this point, at least to my experience, you will be hitting yourse;f a lot, no matter the length. And that this with the Colecord in the sock, BRILLIANT! Where are the Guinness guys when you need them?

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Haha that's alright, it seems most of the hobbies I enjoy involve the possibility of self injury!

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Well you can injure yourself even while knitting.. tongue2 My point being, that most of the hobbies out there come with a risk, big or small. It would be a lot harder to find one that didn't (even excessive computer gaming can lead to inflammation in the tendants of the hand..)

Btw, I just got a cool mental image idea with the colecord-sock poi I described earlier..
Wait for it...
.. Finally, really long lasting orbitals with sock poi! That is if you have a swiveled handle attached to the cord inside the sock. How cool would that look like? grin

2,280 posts

Posted:
That would look so cool, along with really odd considering it would defy everything I'm use to with sock poi. And you could actually spin a little fast with them grin

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
My goals

To get back into teaching workshops
To work on plane control
To Work on split time work
To final get BTB work done

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I should add plane control to my list. it's been getting better, but still bites me on the ass more than I'd like.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
My goal:

To pick up my poi again.

I'm not convinced it'll happen

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
you & me both durbs! grin *high five* laugh3

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
Durbs its cuz you are a slack hippy wink

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Sadly not.

I think it's because I'm an un-slack hippy who is doing lots of other things and so doesn't have time to spin anymore - and can't really be bothered to catch-up on the past 6-months of poi development.

Summer might inspire me, though I suspect Summer will actually just mean more climbing grin

Gita *high five*
wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
ohmygod, I sniffed out another climbing reference!

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
Well Are you going to the EJC Mr durbs? that will inspire you

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Nope.

Southern Lights will get a visit though, and Secret Garden Party.

I mean, I still spin - but I very rarely learn, or even feel inclined to learn. But then equally get bored with current level of spinning so....

Now ticking a Font 7a boulder problem however is inspriational grin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
ah well southern lights is inspertional.... I still think your a slack hippy

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: brenonfire413They are the Dube poi with red balls at the end. The actual length of the chain is 19 1/2" so it's not like they're crazy long. Think maybe I should have gotten a different color and that's the problem?? tongue2

And I'm entirely self taught. I know of no other people locally that spin poi. I've messaged people here that are from this area but haven't heard back from anyone. It would be awesome to have some other people to bounce ideas off of and share advice, but nobody is presently appearing.

Oh and I did eventually get the 3-beat weave. Actually as soon as I'm done with this post I'm going to practice it some more. Been so busy with my artwork and preparing to move I haven't had much practice time.

LOL I don't think a change in colors would help much! I looked those up and I think I could whack myself good with those and it would sting really bad though! eek

Congrats on getting the 3 beat down! I'll give you a touch of advice you can take or leave. DVDs are your friend when you don't know anyone in person to learn off of and the slower you spin the more control you have, plus bonks hurt a lot less.

Even when I use LEDs I have to have them on my chains because I suck using light weight items (yep I weight my socks too!). Just something to think about and experiment with using items you can find around the house or go out an buy if you wanted to cool

It's all good and keep on a spinning! It's going to be 50 degrees here on Friday so I get to go and play outside again! Yay!!! *getting outdoors more is on my goal sheets!!!*

~Rock on!~

Page: