flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hey Ren, what happens when i push this button on the time machine?No ,,, Stimpy you eediot ! youll send us backinTTTTTiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmm...................Hey Ren, what happens when i push this button on the time machine?No ,,, Stimpy you eediot ! youll send us backinTTTTTiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmm...................Hey Ren, what happens when i push this button on the time machine?No ,,, Stimpy you eediot ! youll send us backinTTTTTiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmm...................Hey Ren, what happens when i push this button on the time machine?No ,,, Stimpy you eediot ! youll send us backinTTTTTiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmm...................Any other HOPer that has been here for a while sick of seeing the same topics and questions come up over and over and over and over again?????????USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION PEOPLE....USE THE FAQ...USE THE QUICK GUIDE A-Z.frustrated.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
I know it can be annoying, but really it is something that always happens on internet boards, and kind of comes with the territory.And as much as it is said to search for it first, there will always be new people that didn't see that recommendation, etc...My best advice is either ignore posts that look like old questions, or mention the searching again. Otherwise a regular new person that just doesn't know the ropes yet could get scared away by a seemingly hostile atmosphere...It is easy to get impatient, but we were all new at some point... smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Just cuz a person is new on a BB does not automatically allow them room for stupidity. yeah, we *were* all new once, but we weren't all lazy and preachy. hell, this is just my first day here (officially) and I haven't asked any stupid questions that have been asked a thousand times.

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I can see your point how you would think that a lot of this gets repetitive. Educating people about using the search tool is definitely a good thing. I havent been reading too many of the General Discussion topics lately, sticking mainly to the New Moves category, so I cant personally attest to how repetitive it has gotten...? Still, if a person asks a repetitive question that might frustrate you, it really is all in how you perceive it. First of all, you get a chance to help someone, politely even if you want to, by ansering their q's, as well as directing them to the search engine. That not only keeps their energy intact, it also builds upon your own well of goodness. I am not perfect, and many times ask repetitive (not stupid, but borderline sometimes) questions. The worst thing that can happen for my esteem of the noun im questioning is to get burned by their answer. I tend to think that the people on this site, well... twirlers... artists, are apart from the normal working class folk, even though some of us may be normal working class folk. One thing I noticed when I first got started with all of this was how open minded and accepting a group of people I found here. That gave me good vibes. For that, I thank you all. This is just my 2 cents of course. If I offended anyone, dont be. Just an opinion. Take care, all...

Wow

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
well yea, but if they are going to be posting here often it would seem like it wouldnt be too much to ask that they check out the quik quide, some of those articles are really good, and at the least they could skim over the headlines b4 putting out a question that would seem very obvious (hopin i havent asked any stupid questions or ill feel dumb smile) anyway, yea i got burned today... sunburned smile

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Hey, Can somebody tell me how to count beats? smile

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Why do you think so many people who used to post all the time are not doing it anymore as much? I talk to several through email and we all agree it is one of the deterrents.And I don't think it is a question of being new, I think it is an issue of not wanting to take the time to look around the site.It's the instant gratification mentality that people seem to have now-a-days.It is a danger with boards though, I will admit. Oh well...you win some you lose somelike the topic name btw FF)------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I'm glad you guys are talking about this 'cause i was starting to wonder how to make sparkling poi.P.L.U.R.nomad

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
In all honesty, I think that the internet is the latest in instant gratification and, unfortunately, most people use it as such... Perhaps by splitting up the general discussion into a newbie section and veteran section we can keep us newbies out of your way. This would allow both us rookies and the pros a venue. I don't think a voluntary elite-ism would be offensive to either side. Or if this is too techically intense could we distinguish the two by color/happyface/or other indicator? I DO think that there needs to be a bit more of a deterrant. As a rookie I didn't realize exactly how annoying it is to repeat until you've been on for a while. Or perhaps we can make it a contest, whoever finds the most repeat questions wins the $100 certificate. smile

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.... I dunno... I'll admit, I think I regurgitated a couple of topics, Burningman comes to mind, but in some cases don't you think it might be OK to revive an old conversation? Particularly if there is something new to add?I suppose "researching" the archives and continuing a discussion where it left off would be the best way to do this though...Sorry to all the regulars who are frustrated and leave off posting though! I think it's amazing that I've been on this site for like two months now and seen the "Meet Others" directory increase by nearly 300 people... I guess things like this happen when places get crowded...Whatever the case, I think Malcolm has provided an INCREDIBLY generous and much needed forum here... I mean really, how often does it seem like this site is part of a business, which it is? I think it is exceedingly rare to see someone foreground community over capital nowadays... and that's what Malcolm has done...How does this relate... I dunno. Yeah, people like to feel a part of this community... and reading old stuff in the archive doesn't really facilitate that... I know, personally, that feeling a part of this digital community gave me a sense of place in learning the art... I guess if that feeling of place comes to others through asking some repeated questions... well... that's ok with me. I probably won't respond quite often, seeing as the majority of my contributions are in the great drugh debates smile, but I think having ones voice heard is important, particularly in this scattered art where the lone student may feel very cut off.A virtual dojo? Maybe not. But it is a place for people to feel part of something......thanks Malcolm.

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
I think it's kind of narrow minded to be angry at people for asking repetetive questions. With 807 topics in the 'General Discussion' forum, I'd like to meet anyone who can come up with a truely 'new' question.It's also not very helpful to suggest to new people that they filter through 7000 old posts before posting anything for themselves. I would have thought that a majority of the questions people could have asked about poi would have been discussed in the first 50 or so posts, so without repetition, this really would be a quiet place wouldn't it.There's also the fact that, with new people finding the board all the time, the same question asked again now could yield far different answers than when it was asked a few months ago.If you rang a call centre and asked them a question about why your internet connection wasn't working, how useful would it be if they told you they'd already answered that question today, and hung up the phone?ÐraevonIncendium Fire CircusInternational Fire Registry

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
sup. i take it i probally started this discusion by the much inthused bb weave. anyway, for those of you NICE people i thank! for the rest i suggest taking a chill pill! yes, obviously i'm new to the board, and until malcolm told me we had a search i didn't even know that! i'm also pretty knew to the digital world, so why don't you cut me some slack! no!, i'm not a lazy person! actually i'm quite active, and i have a lot of patients, so for someone right away to just assume that i'm lazy or or stupid. as for PELE, i don't think people like ME who r just trying to LEARN are the problem...the problem are people like YOU/flash fire! and no i don't really feel welcome here anymore! yes at first i thought this web site was very OPEN MINDED and for the majority of you all i think you are, and i thank you for that along with yor simpathy! but how the hell are people eva gunna learn if jack asses like them run around these web-sites/anywhere just trying to start a problem! wo ho! if you don't like it then...don't look at it! how old r u??? GROW UP, EVEN I KNOW THAT! also, just incase you wanna know if i'm pissing you off even more know!, yes i use the faq and the search now! ps! sorry if i offended anybody that's on here or hasn't replyed to this topic yet! i just felt my voice had to be herd! wink ------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Jumps in to try and prevent the firestorm that's about to come......those seeking tolerance should practice tolerance Plaz... Pele and FF contribute hugely to this board and contribute a great deal based on their extensive expertise... they are by no means problems. This discussion about "new people and repeated topics" is not directed solely at you... not by any means. There is absolutely no need to take it personally... people who have been using these boards a long time are merely exhibiting the same feelings anyone does when new blood flows into old turf and a mutual understanding of etiquette and protocol becomes shaky......before you accuse, question. Pele, FF, and the rest rock, you do too. It's just a matter of board manners and a certain readjustment -- prompted by an influx of people that's only going to increase......I guess I'd beg patience on the part of the "elders" and a certain humility and sensitivity to the "way things go" on the part of new folks......but we've all been new and we're all getting old... and we all love the pretty circles... so let's remember that.

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
for that Twist i agree! maby i did get a little hot headed about it, and chances are in the future i'll be the same way towards the topic wink i also agree that were here for the same reason!...at least i hope, and that's for the love of doing it! so before i REALLY offend anyone once again i'm sorry! yes, maby i should take a chill pill, but i also think that maby Pele and FF should too. that i don't take back...also if it helps, i deleted all my topics under gen. dis, that seemed like they weren't going anywhere. i guess I forgot the PLUR! peace, love, unity, respect! i think alot of people have including me and sometimes we should at least TRY to remember that! i sure will nxt time! wink yes i'm new and i guess with the last post i'm begging to raise my own hell already, but i really have no intent unless provoked! guess this post did! once again sorry, and i really don't want much trouble! (hehe! probally too late now! frown------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master![This message has been edited by Plazma (edited 30 May 2001).]

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
a chill pill? O MY GOD!!!!!!!!! are you suggesting that I ingest the ingestibles??? I hate drugs, I hate everything about drugs. I hate drugs so much that the mere suggestion of my consuming a ....what's it called...a yes..a "chill pill" forces me to observe you in a different light. not that I'm judging you - I'm just being judgemental. wink wink winkpills are bad....mmmmmkay?Buddy - you didn't need to take it so personally. I was merely voicing what many of us are feeling. need some super glue for that ego?Draevon - there is a difference between anger and frustration. I'm just frustrated. narrow minded? pfft. [This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 30 May 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
like i said, i still have A LOT to learn! and yes i know "chill pill" is REALLY lame but it's all i could think of at the time. mmmmkay! yes, sometimes i take things too personal, and it's probally something i should work on! at least this all brought it to my attention! c, you CAN learn things on this board! grin grin to call truce from now on, i'll try (HARD) to refrain from stupid questions and blowing up! i don't want any enemyies here, i just met everyone! smile i know that sounds really stupid after my post, but there's not much i can say now but that is there!------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Alright....did I use caps in my post to insinuate yelling or anger? Nope. I have the right to an opinion. And you know what...everytime someone asks a question for the hundredth time, I still answer them if I think I can contribute, as well as suggesting to look it up. I did not attack personally and therefore am not happy by being attacked. Thank you Twist for the kind words and deflection.Draevon, I think that you may misunderstand. There are billions of things we could discuss here that have not been yet. Using the search is a tool, like the lessons. You enter into the search what you are looking for, it pops up the pertinent threads. You read through and if there is still a question you post it and that topic is automatically brought back to the top of the threads for all to see and discuss. Voices are heard, topics discussed all without having to go through three topics named altered states. Get how it works? It is really great.It isn't elitism. It isn't wanting to not share, it is wanting to keep the boards and discussions moving forward for all instead of getting stuck in the same old circles.People need to realize this has been here awhile, and some of us are friends, some of us have been around and some are new...but there is a protocal that even reading through a few things can be picked up on. Caps, flares, statements without support...unless it is one of the fun questions....are really painful to wade through. This wasn't meant as a disrespect but a statement of frustration as FF said.As much as you have the right to ask us a question we've heard before we have the right to suggest you look through the past things for the answer...no harm, no foul.Welcome to the wide misinterpretive world of the internet.And chill pills choke me....------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
you know Pele, you could have taken that a lot worse, and i guess i am glad you didn't. at first yah, i thought it was a stab at me. i haven't exactly been having the best week of my life and that may have contributed to my frustration a little...but not completly. like i said before, i have a lot to learn not only about poi, but about life as well. i guess i just regret now my actions and implementing such a bad vibe towards everyone. once again i'm sorry and i have definatly learned from this! it won't happen again! yes, everyone dose have the right to their opinion and maybe throughout my life rejection has played a big wheel until recent years and in new situations i carry that with me! i DO want to be friends with everyone, and know that i've herd you guys' stories i feel you guys are actually pretty cool and really nice...i'm sorry for my own ignorance!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Apology acepted, sorry you are having a bad week. I know what it is like. And Plazma, I don't know how old you are, in the scope of life I am not old, only 27 but I have learned this...you may want to be everyone's friend but it most liekly won't happen without sacrificing a bit of yourself so settle with being happy yourself, with yourself, liking who you are and then the rest falls into place! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
thanks Pele, True words, and taken' to the sole! i think now i have a good understanding of why PLUR was created and it's meaning, but maby for now, it's best on my standpoint to wait a little bit. for now, like CRD said before, at least practice the P and R, so peace and respect everyone! no longer will i vent on you guys! thanx for understanding![This message has been edited by Plazma (edited 30 May 2001).]

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
This one is pretty long and drawn out, so I dont even know that anyone is going to read this, but here it is. Not written by me, but fitting I believe. At least to myself. The Law Of DetachmentIn detachment lies the wisdom of uncertainty... In the uncertainty lies the freedom from our past, from the known, which is the prison of past conditioning. And in our willingness to step into the unknown, the field of all possibilities, we surrender ourselves to the creative mind that orchestrates the dance of the universe.Take what meaning there is in that for you. P. {(l)} {u} R.------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
My dinner:Take 2 Bok Choi wash, then cut in halves lengthwise. add these halves to 2 pints (I measure everything in beer) boiling water. Add to this a solid dash of Tabasco sauce, chilli flakes, a heaped teaspoon of curry powder, and a dash of light soy sauce. Stir til boiling again. Add a handful of bean sprouts (the bigs ones, not alfalfa). Stir. season with Balsamic Vinegar and the juice of at least one lemon. Serve as a soup, with a spoon and a fork, in front of computer displaying HOP.Yummo! my best creation yet!ok on topic again...thats a great quote Shibaki, reminds me of another (that I think someone from this board posted...or something...Either Confusious or Bruce Lee said it...I think)"Only though the deepest confusion can we find the deepest truth"or words to that effect. It's soooo true wink Only by being completely confused is it possible to circumvent your own bias. smileLove and Light,Josh

edlomember
21 posts

Posted:
TEST------------------
quote:
Embrace and perpetuate constant change

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Some comments:1. Yes, we should all learn to use the search tool. I wonder if there's a way to route first-time posters through a "Learn to use the search tool" page before they get to post.2. Another helpful thing would be a board FAQ, in the original sense of FAQs. This would take a lot of work to compile, and would need to be a group effort. Am I volunteering? Well...I can help.3. Even if all of us were good little boys and girls and always consulted this mythical FAQ or did searches, there'll still be the possibility of new information, new ideas prompted by new conversations. So to some extent the rehashed conversations are just that--rehashes. But sometimes they wind up adding new information.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
"can some one help me with the weave" lolno only joking of course. i personnally dont mind as as each new person asks a question say, for example every 3 months a newbe asks how to do the weave. i will be in a better position to teach them through experienc, and having got feedback from the last people i taught. older guys. i'll be the first to admitt that it CAN be really annoying, but hey , we were all there once (many moons ago frown )and how would we have felt if someone posted a topic on how annoying you are. Flash, i'm not having a dig at you for starting this thread, it had to be done, but i reakon now, a moderator should put up a notice on the top of each bullit board or something, so people dont forget that there is actually a FAQ section that can be used.I also put the high level of questions by newcomers to them wanting to get noticed (?) PEACEANDLOVE.