Forums > Help! > What do I use to draw with fire in grass?

Login/Join to Participate

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I'm sorry if this is somewhere else, but I couldn't find any. I saw a video where someone drew like a triangle without the third line, just like an arrow, in the grass with fire. I had an idea and I don't know what to use, and I would need quite a lot I think. For my first performance, I would like to draw a giant pentagram around me and light it with my poi while spinning. Just imagine what the crowd would think of fire branching out from me while I spin to eventually form a giant pentagram. Of course marking the center with something, maybe my poi, I could just use a lighter and throw it to my safety. I was thinking maybe dropping them down to whirl and whirl them around me as the fire branches from me.
Have you ever done anything like this? I can imagine that I can't do it with Coleman's because the grass would catch (I think)

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
*nods* you're gonna leave a nasty burn mark in the shape of whatever you're doing...

Fuel that burns without a wick would be needed... and you could either touch the poi to the groiund or just allow drips (i.e. don't spin off) of lit fuel to light it.

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
It would be much better if you could create a freestanding pentagram covered in wicking. That way it would be away from the grass and less harmful to the environment.

You could always make a load of 'eye hooks' which could slip over a length of rope style wick, and use them to mark out your pentagram.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

2,280 posts

Posted:
OK thanks for that, i might have to use rope for it on grass, but I would mostly do it on the sand then, and what do you mean by a freestanding pentagram?

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
coleman works fine...well never done it on grass, but out in the desert it works fine, we have spun inside many a pentagram.

Its hard to get it to look right though...just dump fuel on the ground yo

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

2,280 posts

Posted:
nvm i know what you mean by freestanding, but then it wouldn't be a surprise wink I might just have to try it out with a small patch of grass, and I live in Michigan, no desert here.

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I've marked out my brunoff circle before hand and then poured some high percent alcohol on it. Alcohol burning produces heat and water, I think if you're dumpinig it on the ground it will be less harmful. It evporates quickly so be careful with that.

The effect from extra brun off fuel was nothing short of "giant wall of doom hellfire." not my words btw, lol. For something big I would either mark it out on the sand or pavement ahead of time. Grass will absorb too much, go for a wick sculpture if you try it on grass. Also... pics please.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I would second the use of some kind of alcohol. I haven't been able to find it for some time, but I used to use an ethanol gel that was sold as a friendlier version of lighter fluid, intended for fireplace use and largely plant-based. It was reasonably cheap and burned for a couple of minutes with a nice blue color. I'm sure it still exists somewhere.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
Actually, alcohol burns to produce CO2 water and heat tongue2 , and it burns mostly without soot, so that would be good. What about Isopropyl Alcohol? And what did someone do to make a "Giant Wall of Doom Hellfire"? Because I really want to see that. And when I eventually do it, you better believe I'll have pics and video!

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
By freestanding, i mean some sort of structure, raised slightly off the ground, preferably with some sort of 'drip tray' to catch excess fuel that comes off the wicking.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
Try sawdust soaked in paraffin/kerosene (normal poi fuel). It's relatively cheap and low impact. It's worth testing first, to check how thick you need to draw the lines, how long it burns for, how easy it is to light, and all that...

ps. The grass should be absolutely fine, unless it's extremely dry. Test it first.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I think I'll do it whenever I'm at the sand ^^ Because I don;t think my parents or anyone will willingly let me set their grass on fire...

2,280 posts

Posted:
I think I'll do it whenever I'm at the sand ^^ Because I don;t think my parents or anyone will willingly let me set their grass on fire... Also, I don't think it's worth it to get a freestanding thing. It gets rid of the surprise and restricts movement. I mean, i don;t have the money for it, it's too much work, and I would like the surprise of at some time, letting my poi hit the ground, and have the slow lighting kero star branching out fire in multiple directions, intersecting, and then making a big circle, all around me. It would just have that ridiculous OMFG awe effect.