Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > When to do orbitals using fire

Login/Join to Participate

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
When you use fire, lets say with standard cube Cathedral wrap poi, how long into the spin can you safely do an orbital without spaying fuel, because I saw a video where a guy did one and fuel sprayed in his eyes -not on fire- and he just said in the annotation, "Ow, fuel got in my eye, that hurt." Or something along those lines. So is this common if you do it too soon in a burn? When can you do it being sure that you will not spray fuel?

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroit So is this common if you do it too soon in a burn? When can you do it being sure that you will not spray fuel?
Yes it is. Usually you can test with a buzzsaw and see if fuel is spitting everywhere. I would say wait for the second half of the spin.
AND be even more careful if you are using an alcohol based fuel. I did one with cathedrals at the end of a short run for a performance and the fuel that spat onto me actually caught fire... it sucked. don't do that.

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
the worst fire accident I ever saw was a guy doing an orbital at the beginning of his burn. Sprayed lit fuel from his waist to the top of his head....

just let them burn for a while.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I like the buzzsaw test idea. Is there a visual indication of when it is ok? Ex: Flames getting smaller

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
I think big flames are OK as long as you dont have fuel spitting at you.
Flames getting smaller is a good indication that it would be alright but not strictly necessary.
If you do end up doing them too early and get fuel spat at you just release the tangle and all will be OK.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Any indication someone else could give you is essentially useless in your own burn.

There are too many variables, both the type of head and the condition of the heads will change how they hold fuel and how it burns far too greatly to take anyone elses rule of thumb and apply it to your own experiences.

Later in the burn is better, less fuel because a lot of it has burned away, but this does not mean smaller flames= better... because if you spin faster you'll have smaller flames.

Use the buzzsaw test, find a base speed at which you can judge the size of your flames at which you are certain no more fuel will come out, then you can start to use that as a base of comparison.

Also, someone mentioned fuel types, lower flash point fuels will be safer for this type of movement because there will be less likelihood that flaming fuel will be projected onto you, the likelihood of fuel being projected onto you in general is no different.

hug

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I think getting to know your poi is the best way of doing it. I have had a face full of parafin, but now I know that it's probably best to wait 2-3 minutes into lighting before doing orbitals. But that's just my poi, I'm sure MNS is different, as yours are different to MNS.

Just play around and see what works for you. Just be safe about it smile

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
ha! i did this soooo much when i first got my orbitals down, i swear my eyesight got worse for fuel tongue2. i stoped doing my orbitals right away mostly because I like too keep them as the last thing i do before i blow out my poi.

I still use orbitals a quick way to spin off every so often, but i dont recomend it... you end up soaked if you do it wrong.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Maybe move it around out of face shot, like over/around your head or something?

I often come in with my hair stinking of parafin wink

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

2,280 posts

Posted:
I already do them, this thread is a little old, I usually do like 1 per show now as a little surprise of shock and awe grin

ladyleoSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
do you guys do them with wires or chains? i can't get my orbitals down using chains. should i just keep trying or give up and order the wires?

Derek_FaughnDIAMOND Member
DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
I use chains, and they work great. Just make sure you got a good swivel. Also I find it easier to do orbitals with longer chains. So you might wan to get a longer chain, and learn how to do them with long chains at 1st. then you can go back and do them with the chain size you are used to.

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I've found I can do orbitals with even my fairly chunky chains, but it requires you to be a little more precise than you would be with cords. Cords, if they meet off center, are relatively happy to slip until the arms of the orbital become the same length; chains (and this varies with the size and type of chain) will tend to go real wonky if the initial wrap is asymmetrical, so it helps to make sure your aim with the initial wrap is pretty accurate.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I genreally wouldn't go with wires, I use the HoP Pro Seires Chains and they work just peachy for me grin Man, I also have to admit I love the sound of a fire orbital passing by my ear grin

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
I would not use wires, I've heard too many horror stories of people getting cut. I think the key to doing orbitals is with chains to to have a swivel at each handle(a good swivel) I've noticed that if you dont have swivels at your handles, or your swivels aren't allowed to spin, like when they are wrapped in your hand, orbitals dont work.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I've heard that someone without a handle swivel did an orbital with their chans and the chain got too twisted and broke, I'd hate to have that happen. So I'd just say Pro series chains if you wanna do them.

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I do them with bog-standard chains never worked out badly for me yet touch wood. Wires are just horrible to spin with in my opinion i dont know why any would use them

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing