Forums > Help! > Scam artists in HoP??

Login/Join to Participate

anikistranger
6 posts

Posted:
I joined no longer than a few hours ago, and already, I have a private message. There's the normal one called "Welcome", and then an urgent toned one called, "I NEED YOUR REPLY". An obvious scam that tells me some worker of citibank wants to sign me off as a beneficiary of 24 million dollars in a bank in Poland. Here is the cut and paste of the exact message:

------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------

Dear Aniki

i'm Mr mack coben , a staff in CITIBANK.POLAND as an account and financial adviser to the late MARIO BACOLI who died in the recent earthquake in ITALY.
I am a signatory to a fixed deposit account of US$24,000,000.00 (TWENTY FOUR MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS) In a bank in POLAND where we have were his fund was deposited.

I have made all the official paper work for the transfer of this fund as i want you to stand as the beneficiary to the stated fund above. He did not declare any next of kin in all his official documents in the bank concerning the deposi. I want you to stand as the beneficiary to claim this fund.I hope you are trustworthy person,after the successful transfer, we shall share in the ratio of 30% for you and 60% for me and 10% will be set aside to up set any expenssess.

All I need IS your assistance and coperation for the successful transfer of this funds into your nominated bank account. Please get back to me urgently so that i can give you more directives on how to conclude the inheritance transfer to you as the bonefide next of kin to the decease and the beneficiary to the fund.

Regards,
Mr mack coben

pls reply me through my private email mackcoben700@sifymail.com
waitting to hear from you

-------------------------------------
-------------------------------------

Now, What can I do to report the guy? I have enough to deal with these rats trying to mess with my email, I don't need that from a forum I enjoy visiting. Oh yeah, and his screen name was mackcoben.

gurugurumawaru...

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
I got the same
mackcoben
stranger

i'm Mr mack coben , a staff in CITIBANK.POLAND as an account and financial adviser to the late MARIO BACOLI who died in the recent earthquake in ITALY.
I am a signatory to a fixed deposit account of US$24,000,000.00 (TWENTY FOUR MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS) In a bank in POLAND where we have were his fund was deposited.

I have made all the official paper work for the transfer of this fund as i want you to stand as the beneficiary to the stated fund above. He did not declare any next of kin in all his official documents in the bank concerning the deposi. I want you to stand as the beneficiary to claim this fund.I hope you are trustworthy person,after the successful transfer, we shall share in the ratio of 30% for you and 60% for me and 10% will be set aside to up set any expenssess.

All I need IS your assistance and coperation for the successful transfer of this funds into your nominated bank account. Please get back to me urgently so that i can give you more directives on how to conclude the inheritance transfer to you as the bonefide next of kin to the decease and the beneficiary to the fund.

Regards,
Mr mack coben

pls reply me through my private email mackcoben700@sifymail.com
waitting to hear from you

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i've notified a moderator - hopefully not too many people get those messages!!!! i guess some people have nothing better to do than join sites & spam members! mad

on another note - hi! wave welcome to hop you guys! grin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the heads-up, user is now banned.

I think "artist" is stretching it a little wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I dunno Durbs, that is a pretty slick idea. I wonder how he thought of that.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

LunakiPoi Goddess
16 posts

Posted:
I think he has been watching too many italian mafia movies.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hi Aniki
I'm happy to assure you that this is a very well run forum, and I'm sorry you had a crap experience like that first up.
See the Notify tab at the bottom of each post?
Feel free to use it to contact moderators if anything weird happens!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: newgabeHi Aniki
I'm happy to assure you that this is a very well run forum, and I'm sorry you had a crap experience like that first up.

This. smile

PMs like this are very rare, but they do happen.
I think this is the 2nd time I have heard of it, and I have been here for 6 years now.

Best thing to do is report the PM to a Mod, and then copy and paste the message to "abuse@" and let them deal with it.

Welcome to HOP by the way!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
it's a so called "letter from Nigeria" only version 3.0

it started with mails from Nigeria (Hi, I'm the widow of belated president... inherited THE SUM OF *enter two quazillion dollars*... want to share with YOU... entrusted friend...) moved to European lotteries you have never played and others that have randomly selected your eMail address to WIN THE SUM OF QUAZILLION BRITISH POUNDS... and lately to people dropping dead under quite natural circumstances and bankers who want to SHARE THE INHERITAGE WITH YOU AS A NEXT OF KIN...

Just ignore it - wherever it's from...

Welcome to the ballroom, sorry to have a conman in second file...

hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFoot
PMs like this are very rare, but they do happen.
I think this is the 2nd time I have heard of it, and I have been here for 6 years now.

yep sounds right, the first time i got one. that was a few years ago though.

welcome

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley