Forums > Social Chat > Got oneupped by a nonspinner

Login/Join to Participate

RingshadowSILVER Member
journeyman
81 posts

Posted:
So I have fluffy poi and usually toss them in my backpack when I go to class, and spend my breaks in the school hallways or common areas spinning. Absolutely nothing fancy, this is coming very, very slowly to me and it's made harder by the fact that I live in a house with fairly low ceilings where my computer is. I can butterfly competently, but that's about it. After a week and a half of experiment and cussing at my own arms, I finally got my poi to spin in opposite directions, and I'm still getting the hang out of controlling that.

So, anyway. Today during a break in my drawing class I was cheerfully spinning in the hallway listening to my MP3 player and a classmate of mine came up and held out his hands. So I shrug and hand them over, and show him how to hold them, and he spins them forwards and backwards easily. So I say ok, spin them opposite and I'll be impressed. And he promptly does, after holding them thirty seconds.

After pouting that I hated him so hard, seriously. Ow, my ego. Tell me I'm not alone.

/noob

Happiness is a skill, not a commodity
I have been kidnapped by hooping.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
A couple months ago someone wandered up to the spin jam and was curious about what we were doing. So I handed her some poi (I tend to have at least five extra pair on me) and showed her the basics.

Now, I learned fast compared to a lot of people I spin with, but it still took me a week to learn the 3 beat weave. This girl who showed up at the jam had the basic spins, forward and reverse butterfly (with extensions), and a forward 3bt weave, at the end of 20 minutes.

It was a good experience to have early on; I felt thoroughly humbled.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

anikistranger
6 posts

Posted:
Well on my end, a few years back, I desperately wanted to learn poi, so I practiced at home, with some nylon cord and old glowsticks. After about a month and a half of pain, I barely got down the butterfly and the 3 beat weave, (and someone taught me the glowstringer's version of the corkscrew), but I still wasn't really getting anywhere.

When I met some guy who seemed to know what poi is, (they seem tough to come across in my subarban neighborhood,) I desperately asked him to teach me something. I guess he supposed I knew nothing at all, and began showing me the 3 beat weave. I was like, "But... uhh I already... oh whatever!" I took his poi and busted the 3 beat weave. "See? You're a natural!" and he left. ._.;; He was short on time, and I asked as he was leaving. I asked so late because I didn't know he knew poi until he was about to leave. XD

Shortly after, I stumbled across Nick Woolsey's PlayPoi site, and it has been a saving grave ever since.
EDITED_BY: aniki (1259657442)

gurugurumawaru...

WoodsyBRONZE Member
Spanking you kindly.
156 posts

Posted:
a friend of mine has been doing her poi for a few weeks now, and i got the mass lump of inspiration from her to start doing it myself. I started about 2 or 3 days after she did, and i picked it up fairly well.

I learned the 2bt weave (which at the time i thought was 3 beat tongue2 ) and i have been able to do the butterfly (sometimes) and now have learnt the 3bt weave properly.

She can only spin them at the same time then criss cross them across her body and back again, and do the 2bt weave, but thats because she doesnt practice.

In my opinion, if you are really dedicated and practice every day, or even every second day, you will be able to pick up new moves easier, because you know your poi and what you can do with them if you do something im a specific way.

Woodsy:Down with the sound, and the people will all yell: "POWER IS MEASURED IN, DECIBEL".
Poje: not Joules?
Woodsy: No...Never grin

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
lol, this sounds like I could be one of those people, I learned 7 beat weave in my first week XD
for the 3bt i didn't know about Playpoi and I just kinda had to figure it out so it took me about a day.
I'm also in my second month of poi almost grin and I can already do horizontal and vertical orbitals, all my opposite movements (I just recently got into my arms split time opposites and I love the feel wink ) and all this other crazy censored I shouldn't be able to do yet.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1259668460)

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

philisweatlySILVER Member
life's a garden, dig it
115 posts

Posted:
same thing here. Either I am a good teacher, or it is easier to learn poi when your young. Kinda like most things. I am a youth counselor for troubled teens (between 13-17) and I bring my poi, devil sticks, meteor and foot bags to work all the time. Two of the students learned forward 3 beat in about 30 minutes. Soon after they were playing around with moving around while spinning and it was wonderful to watch them have so much fun

haha

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitlol, this sounds like I could be one of those people, I learned 7 beat weave in my first week XD
for the 3bt i didn't know about Playpoi and I just kinda had to figure it out so it took me about a day.
I'm also in my second month of poi almost grin and I can already do horizontal and vertical orbitals, all my opposite movements (I just recently got into my arms split time opposites and I love the feel wink ) and all this other crazy censored I shouldn't be able to do yet.

I just want to mention that you suck. My reason for saying this may be based solely on envy tongue2

2,280 posts

Posted:
Lol, after I got the orbitals consistent, which took me like a censored week, I got really good with it and learned to do it vertically on my first try. Sometimes I think the mindset you go in with while learning a move makes how easily you learn it. Whether it be reverse btb wheelplane atomic butterfly weave turn or buzzsaw, I just have the same mindset either way. And if anyone can actually do that ridiculous move I described, plz post a video, because that would be a sweetass move. That is my personal secret, if this is already known, than good for you wink but it seems to work for me. That, or I am just a, umm, "poitegy."

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Oh, the kind of stuff you're describing goes well beyond mindset. I think raw talent is the least important thing to picking up a new skill, but when attitude and hours are also in place, it does make a difference. I know lots of people, myself included, that have textbook good attitudes towards learning (they see it as fun, are not discouraged by initial failures, trust that it will make sense, are proactive in finding information, etc.), but we can still only learn so fast.

I just try to remember that I'm still ahead of the curve and, probably more importantly, I'm still having a blast.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Another thing that I tend to do and may help, don't spend so much time on a few moves, once you can do it, even not so good, go and learn something more advanced, come back to the ones from before and all of the sudden you can just seemingly magically do it. Like when I learned the 7bt weave when I couldn't do a 5 more than 1 time around without hitting myself, I went back and I could do it near perfect. I think it's just the coolest feeling and apply it to most everything that I learn.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*cough* anyone ever heard of my group
called "humiliate by pretending to be a n00b"?

wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

2,280 posts

Posted:
aww, I've always wanted to do that, and if I ever get the chance to do it with poi, oh god you bet I will. WILL ANYONE JOIN US!

NoiseyflowerBRONZE Member
Yell and scream all you like
53 posts

Posted:
When I first learnt staff, I learnt off a friend of mine who had been doing it for several years but didnt practise often. She was known within the group as the circus chick and she was quite proud of having a skill that no one else in our group knew. She was pretty upset when I decided to pick it up and was teaching her new tricks within 2 weeks. I put it down to my relentless want to practise 24/7 though. She practised about once a week, if that. I think i've taken her title now. duck woops. smile

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitWhether it be reverse btb wheelplane atomic butterfly weave turn or buzzsaw, I just have the same mindset either way. And if anyone can actually do that ridiculous move I described, plz post a video, because that would be a sweetass move.

Talking about wheelplane and atomic in the same move is not overly helpful....
Which poi in wheelplane? The rest should work though....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

2,280 posts

Posted:
You have a point... well, one of them could be on a horizontal plane of you're mega flexible.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Quote:reverse btb wheelplane atomic butterfly weave turn

should work. Could be tricky though. tongue2

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonQuote:reverse btb wheelplane atomic butterfly weave turn

should work. Could be tricky though. tongue2
YES
or a crosshair atomic weave btb with one at a wheelplane, that would be the sickest thing ever! WIN!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Might have to go through you though....

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Thats typical, but hey we all started somewhere, your always going to find someone better than you. See it as something to learn and improve on

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I see all these videos and I just tell myself, "Hey, there's nothing that special to it, I could so do that." And it works for everything I've tried. The only things I would say have something pretty special about them was orbitals and btb wheelplane weave turn. Stalls don't really, but I find many different uses of them that other people do damn near impossible. I will get them down I swear to GOD!