Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Starting with glowstrings better than poi?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
GixxxerKimBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I went to Electric Zoo here in NY 2009, and got my first taste of glowstringing. I saw my first fire poi back in 2006, but never gave it a try. I just started a month ago with some shoe strings and glow sticks and I incorporate some practice at the gym. I feel that the weight isn't there to help the sticks move well enough, and I wondered, should I be gravitating toward other/better tools to get better at moving?

Flowlights caught my attention obviously, but when I'm still slapping the glowsticks together now and then, I feel it would be a wise investment to stick with my cheaper sticks for now.

My question is, how easy is it to transfer from a weighted beginner poi, to a glowstick, or a flowlight? Would I be better off getting beginner fuzzy poi and leashes, and THEN doing the LED light show? Or stick to my cheap glowsticks maybe upgrade to some leashes?

You and the Captain, Makin' it Happen!

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'm new too, only about a month and a half in. I fist started with belts, not the smartest thing. My German exchange student did fire poi and breathing. I first got a pair of HoP's LED Glow Poi, and a pair of Cone Poi. I would suggest getting the LED balls, they're great, bright, and made of soft PVC making them very durable. I still hit them a lot. And I've only had to replace the batteries once so far, just a few days ago actually. Or, if you can't afford all that, you could buy the glowstrings, those are really cheap. Idk how long they last or how light or heavy they are, or how they work, but I know they're really cheap.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

GixxxerKimBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Thank you for the reply. My inspiration for the poi/glowstringing came from going to an electronic show (better known as a rave). So I wanted to glow string for obvious reasons. And I quickly realized its a beautiful thing to do even when you're not rolling. So thats one reason why I'm asking, if it sort of crosses over. Am I destined for poi if I'm going to take any type of glowsticking seriously? It seems the logical evolution from glow sticks, (even though glowstringing was based off of poi at first).

Buy the glowstrings you say? Where are those? Are you referring to flowleashes? Like on Orbitlightshow.com?

2,280 posts

Posted:
Here's what I use, except I put Colecord and Pro Series Handles on it: https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/MultiColor-LED-Poi-Set-with-Nylon-Cords

Here are Glowstrings, really cheap: https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Single-LED-light-stick-with-Cord
Oh I looked and it said 8-10 hour battery life, same as what I use, except I think you have to replace the set every time. but still, really cheap. I might actually get some because they're so small and portable for things like parties and raves. If you do get those, which I would recommend the glowstrings for what you want them for, I would like to know how bright they are. grin I'll definitely get some eventually because of how cheap they are. As I said, great for carrying in your pockets or something. The LED Poi, not so much...

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I reccomend a weight no lighter than 100g, you really can't do stalls, flowers or a number of other movements properly with light poi. But wraps, etc clearly do become easier, hence the stylistic differences between glow stringing and poi.

Flowlights with crystal cases and a flowmass would probably suit what you're after but I personally don't advocate their products because I've had a lot of issues with them and probably wouldn't buy more in the future quite simply due to their unreliability... but a lot of other people love their products and have had no problems.

hug

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I've connected my Atom LED poi to my pro series chains so it's as similar to actual poi as possible which helps with flow and momentum. I consider it a very good hybrid and the chains with an LED head will give you a far better weight than glow stinging. You can also switch heads to fluffies or a fire head whenever you please.

Upgrading will be a lot easier and practice will be more consistent if you get a good chain with the right handles, weight, and length for you. In the end it'll be more economical and productive to keep your future goals in mind while making your first purchases too weavesmiley

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonI reccomend a weight no lighter than 100g, you really can't do stalls, flowers or a number of other movements properly with light poi. But wraps, etc clearly do become easier, hence the stylistic differences between glow stringing and poi.

Would go along with this wholeheartedly.

And no, you are not predestined for poi if you get into glowstringing, although there are many similarities.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

GixxxerKimBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Thank you! When you say 100g do you mean EACH poi? I have been looking at the fluffy poi with the nylon leashes. I think they're a good buy for me. The reviews are fantastic, and since they're FOR poi I think they'll be weighted properly to be dynamic enough for the poi moves I'm working on and THEN some! (Poi seems so much more dynamic than just glow stringing, for the sheer fact of using better tools to get a wider range of movement.)

Thank you all.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
100g isn't bad. It's a tennis ball with 8 nickels inside, which is about what I have in my cone poi. Much lighter than that and they can be all floppy and weird. I use sock poi with tennis balls, but only where there isn't a breeze or where I don't want to go fast.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yes, 100g each poi. But even thats on the light side, imho. I'd say 125-160g per poi is more what you should be looking at but I know a lot of people are reluctant to add weight for some reason it does however pay off in the long run.

(mine are 160g each, I even have a 200g pair as well)

hug

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: GixxxerKimMy question is, how easy is it to transfer from a weighted beginner poi, to a glowstick, or a flowlight? Would I be better off getting beginner fuzzy poi and leashes, and THEN doing the LED light show? Or stick to my cheap glowsticks maybe upgrade to some leashes?
I started with glowsticks and shoestrings a couple of years ago then got into poi. It was real easy for me to go from light to heavy but its not the same story for the other way around. I have a pair of Fluffies and LED balls. The Fluffies are heavier than the glowsticks by quite a bit but lighter than the LEDS. Haven't tried flowlights yet. It basically just depends on what you are comfortable with. I've found that it is easier to do moves with heavier poi though.

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

Derek_FaughnDIAMOND Member
DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
It really depends on what style you are going for. A glowstring style (lots of quick wraps, and most spinning done of wallplane) Or a poi style (slower, more stalls, and more movement and dance) If you like the glowstring style just use glowsticks, if you like the poi style you'll probably want to pick up a heavier set.
Flowlights are very nice and can be used for either poi, or glowstringing. If you use the flowlights for glowstring I'd suggest just buying the actual lights and putting some shoe strings on them. And for poi you should probably invest in the flowpoi case, and a flowmass. Peace

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean

freeskierpjstranger
14 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitHere's what I use, except I put Colecord and Pro Series Handles on it: https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/MultiColor-LED-Poi-Set-with-Nylon-Cords

Here are Glowstrings, really cheap: https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Single-LED-light-stick-with-Cord
Oh I looked and it said 8-10 hour battery life, same as what I use, except I think you have to replace the set every time. but still, really cheap. I might actually get some because they're so small and portable for things like parties and raves. If you do get those, which I would recommend the glowstrings for what you want them for, I would like to know how bright they are. grin I'll definitely get some eventually because of how cheap they are. As I said, great for carrying in your pockets or something. The LED Poi, not so much...

The glowstrings are actually surprisingly bright. I just got 8 of them in and they work great, although they can turn off from time to time if you hit them together. I'd say they are brighter if not, then just as bright as regular glowsticks you'd buy from any store but I haven't had them on for long so I'm curious as to if they stay bright while the battery is dying or if they start to fade.

2,280 posts

Posted:
actually, they're going to break before them, I'll tell you right now. That cords are also really uncomfortable and I decided I'll buy some shoelaces and glowsticks. because I still want to learn this and incorporate some into my fire poi grin

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
something good about glowstringing is the speed at which you transition from wraps and all kinds of stuff i actually started on glowsticks first then my buddy got a pair of fire poi and i just had to do it but i was also learning poi moves with glowsticks

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

chemairoSILVER Member
person who like to spin all gears
62 posts

Posted:
I think that poi and glowsticks have got the same moves - the thing is just, that with glowsticks you play much faster and much more with these whole wrap-things

2,280 posts

Posted:
They do have a a lot to most of the same moves, but with glowsticks you do all of those crazy wraps really fast and with poi you get a whole different set of moves to. Much that use the weight of the poi head to do the move. And for other things poi are just easier grin

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
but the first thing i actualy spun was like 3 glowsticks on one string and you cant really do alot with it but the atomics are insane with it i actually got pretty good with it then one of my buddies showed me poi and i immediately started with glowsticks did that for 3 months then got to spin fire and ever since its been poi all the way

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

2,280 posts

Posted:
I personally love all my my glowsticks because they're so portable and everybody already loves glowsticks in the first place grin so they're like ooh, glowsticks smile OOOH spinning glowsticks bounce2

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
yeah you dont even have to drugs to think it looks pretty lol

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Anyone who needs drugs to think that spinning things looks cool obviously doesn't produce enough endogenous DMT. And that's a moral failing on their part.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i wish humans produced alot more of it lol

2,280 posts

Posted:
I feel a little dumb, but whatis DMT?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
It's a rather unusual neurotransmitter.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Lol, ok then, Wikipedia it is tongue2 Oh Dimethyltryptamine tongue2 hooray for AP Chem class I actually know what that is lol. I thought it's kinda funny that it has -tryp- in the name laugh3
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1269657048)

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
it is better described as a dissasociative

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Actually it's one of the few real hallucinogens. LSD and psilocybin aren't even technically hallucinogenic most of the time, where DMT is. Ketamine or dextromethorphan are more along the lines of standard dissociatives in their lower doses. But this is getting a little OT...

WyattDavisSpinsGOLD Member
WYATTSPINSPOI
69 posts

Posted:
Drugs are terrible for you !!
but yes glowsticking is cool. freehand or strings some people can manipulate those things like none other..Melvenorc12 from glowsticking.com is nuts !! spins a little to fast for my liking but some of the stuff he does is so crazy.. same with retr0 !!

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I don't need drugs but I love the people that do think they need them... They buy you water and give you stuff just as long as you keep spinning. Is that a dodgey way to think? Enabling? Exploitation? Failure to take the moral high ground and refuse their gratitude?

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I would say that's not a dodgey way of thinking about it. The way I see it is that if you attract an audience while you spin, you automatically become a "working" performer. There is a thread over on contactjuggling.org discussing busking/performance experiences, there are a few stories on there of people being purchased full meals, alcohol, and even given drugs (the performers didn't ask for any of this, just had a hat out)

The way I look at something like that is, they are (in a way) paying you for allowing them to watch you/for performing.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well i have come to find that drugs will hinder you most of the time but it doesnt stop people from enjoying them

Page: