si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone, PitP Birthday is back once again for a huge day of spinning, juggling, bouncing and all the usual fun of the fair! :-) This year it'll be on Saturday, November 21st..

This year we're going to be in a slightly different location, Weston Park instead of Endcliffe Park. Most of you will know this park as the location we have the evening fire show each year. It's a lot nearer to the hall and now that the park has been improved its a beautiful location to have the whole event in.

For those of you who are unsure of this location, please follow the link for a map of the area, including Weston Park and Hanover way, the road the church hall is located on..:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...055189&z=14

As always the day will comprise of workshops and general fun n games during the daytime, with a renegade/open show in the afternoon. Then when it gets dark we have a fire show made up of artists from all over the world who have come to visit, before returning to the hall for a night of games, drinking and the inevitable pillow fighting..!

We are currently looking for artists who wish to perform for us, either in the daytime or evening shows, and anyone wanting to run workshops during the day. Those that perform will of course receive special treatment from us, including food and drink and lots of free hugs.. :-)

If anyone has a routine the would like to perform, wants to run a workshop or even has a suggestion for workshops to be run, please get in touch ASAP either by emailing: sheffpip@googlemail.com, by posting here or through the facebook event page.

The day will of course be free of charge as always (including the shows). Those who wish to stay the night in the hall will be asked for a small contribution of £4 to help us cover the cost of the venue's rent.

As always please feel free to bring friends, family, (random hitchikers you have picked up on the way) or whoever you would like, as the event caters for everyone, from those who have never treid to juggle or spin anything before, to seasoned professionals..!

For those of you who use facebook, there is an event page here:

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=176651205699&index=1

We hope to see you all in the park in November. Any questions or anything you feel we have missed out, please get in contact.

Si & J.P

EDITED_BY: si_sheff (1255527437)

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Awesome, will have to try to come to this, had fun last time, despite being kept awake by THE loudest snoring I've ever witnessed.

I can't see a date though?

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Thats the weekend before my birthday! Will be there as long as i dont have a gig. The date is on facebook, Saturday 21st November.

"Don't do it naked!"

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
schoolboy mistake there.. ammended post to show the date. lol. sandy you definately have to come, never the same without ya man!

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
So who's actually coming then guys? need a bit more feedback from the HOP peeps. got plenty of responses from other forums but sadly very few here..

The hall doesn't get booked without ppl coming back and telling me rough numbers! at the moment most people turning up are from Sheffield or nearby and have accommodation sorted so unless YOU tell me you're coming and will want a space in the hall we may not book it this year... upto you. spread the word and get back to me or it may be a cold night..

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Have you posted this on Facebook for people to know about?

A large number of people in the community no longer visit HOP frown

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
yeah, if you look at the actual first message there's a link to the open facebook event.. there's also a group too.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Sorry, I did look.
Didn't remember it though.

I'll refrain from suggesting stuff again in case you have already mentioned it.

smile

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
lol. no worries... feel free to prod other hop peeps tho if you feel they may be being slack in responding.. :-)

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone, just a quick message to all those planning to attend. We're still looking for a few more volunteers to help us out teaching workshops during the daytime. If anyone would like to run a workshop, whatever the skill or level, please email me on here at direct to sheffpip@googlemail.com.

We are also still looking for acts for our daytime show. Ideally we would like to have a mixture of professional acts and more renegade-style artists, as the idea of the show is to promote the fact that circus is about having fun and is for anyone who wants to try. if anyone has a routine they would like to perform in front of a friendly crowd please also let me know so i can sort out the running order before the day.

Other than that all is on track and we look forward to seeing you all in the park on the 21st from 1pm.. don't forget to wrap up warm!

peace n pineapples

Si

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Sorry Si, I'll be in Wales that weekend. Have a blast though!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
Thinking 'bout coming, just gotta work out how the hell I'd get from Suffolk to Sheffield tongue2

Just a dancer in the dark

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
train.. book early and get two singles.. usually much cheaper.. or there's always megabus and national express coaches.

924 posts

Posted:
awesome, well, you can add one more newbie to the list of people coming. How hard is it to get to the park from the station?

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
not hard at all.. if you zoom the map out from the link above slightly you'll see the station.. if you get on the tram at the station and get off at the sheffield university tram stop you are literally a couple of minutes away from the park :-)

924 posts

Posted:
awesome, thanks

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
Hello to all you wonderful spinners out there who have taken an interest in coming to Poi in the Park's Birthday this weekend..

It is with tremendous sadness that I have to announce that, due to factors outside our control (ie monsoon rainy weather approaching sheffield this weekend) we have been forced to cancel our plans for the event this Saturday.

Unfortunately the weather forcast for the rest of this week and weekend up here is for heavy rain and possibly even snow, and with the hall only being available from 10pm this year for us to use we have had to make the difficult decision to cancel. We apologise to anyone who has already booked their tickets up here, we wanted to leave this decision until now to get a more accurate prediction for the weather, and did not want to run the risk of ppl turning up at 1 or 2pm to find that rain had stopped play and we had no indoor solution..

For those of you who still wish to do something circusy on this day, and who could possibly re-arrange their travel plans slightly, there is an event going on up in Leeds which is not too far away. The link to the event can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=188246915134&index=1

Several sheffield spinners will be attending this event and running workshops, and there will be a show along with many other fun things to do..

We are working hard to find an alternate solution so we can still run a PitP Birthday this year, and at present are trying to secure the hall for the next saturday, November 28th for the full day and night to allow us to have a party then regardless of the weather. This will also coincide with Greentop Circus' November Cabaret which is a brilliant evening of circus fun for all.. There will be a message to follow by this weekend to let ppl know if this is successful so please do watch this space.

For anyone who needs any further information in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us on here, or by email to: sheffpip@googlemail.com.

Once again, we apologise for having to cancel, 1st time in 10 years that rain has stopped play! :-( but we hope we can still see many of you up in Sheffield if the event can be rearranged for the 28th..

Peace n Pineapples

Si & J.P.

924 posts

Posted:
good luck re-locating it to the 28th, hope it is able to go on frown

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone. WE have successfully managed to re-arrange use of the hall for next weekend, November 28th. We will have the hall from around 6pm until the next morning, so all those who wish to come up to sheffield and stay for the night will have a place to sleep.

I now ask that anyone who wishes to stay in the hall let me know ASAP. Depending on how many ppl stay in sheffield we may be able to put you up in houses for free, rather than hiring the hall out all evening, so if we have a rough idea of numbers by Monday at the latest we may be able to save some money and only book the hall for a few hours..

so please get back to me if you are able to attend the event and we hope to see many of you in the park next weekend! :-)

Peace n pineapples

Si & J.P.

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
Yes everyone we have managed to re-schedule Poi in the Park Birthday for this coming Saturday, November 28th. We've got the hall for the evening and overnight, so this time the weather WILL NOT stop play, no matter how hard it might try..!

So this is the plan..: We're meeting in Weston park at 6pm if the weather is good, if its not then we'll be meeting at the hall at 7pm. From there we can generally spin, play games and hopefully have a show or two in the hall, and then a fire show out in the park later on, before getting traditionally drunk! :-)

There is also going to be the Greentop Cabaret on that evening. the doors open at 7:30 so if anyone wishes to see this and then meet up with the group afterwards let me know and i can sort out tickets and directions.. the event page for this on facebook can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/events.php?ref=sb#/event.php?eid=195258962153&index=1

For those who wish to stay overnight in the hall we ask for a donation of £5 to cover our costs, other than that we only need you to bring yourselves, your friends and if you have any fuel feel free to bring that too.. :-)

See you all on Saturday!

Peace n pineapples

Si

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Sweet. I've got a gig in Stockport on Saturday that finishes at 5, as its only 30 odd miles from Sheffield i reckon i'll be there smile

"Don't do it naked!"

si_sheffSILVER Member
128 posts

Posted:
nice one nice one..! :-)