Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > wheel plane bth btb stall mechanics

Login/Join to Participate

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to get these down, but i want to make sure I have the right arm positioning. Ideally for the upswing->behind the head stall should my elbow be pointing forward as I stall? or should it be off to the side?

for the downswing/btb stall i have no idea what's going on.

i want to drill the hell out of these, but i don't want to drill it wrong. any help?

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I'm guessing that by downswing you mean stalling down from a reverse spin?
I can make a tutorial on it if you want, would take a couple days though.
Anyhow, behind the head stalls-
Starting from a reverse spin in wheel plane, do a small extension, and at the top of the circle start the stall. The palm of your hand should be facing up, and try to have your elbow pointing forwards. Try to have the poi stall as close to your back as possible, like Ronan does them at 2:39 in this video:

Good luck, happy spinning!

270 posts

Posted:
No by downswing I meant forward. but I think you gave me some good advice anyway. Ronan does do that in his video, but it looks like they're resting on his back...which would burn his clothes with fire? and do you have any advice on the forward swing btb? my inspiration is G at like 1.08 here:

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
forwards... I'm not too clean with those yet, but the tips I gave you apply, start the stall at the bottom of your circle, your palm should be facing up, and try to make the stall parallel to your back.
G does it with his arm almost straight, so try to keep your elbow bent minimally and close to your body.
As for Ronan, that would be dangerous with fire, but it's a good reference while starting. when you get a feel for it try to take it further away from your back while still keeping the stall parallel to your back.
smile

270 posts

Posted:
Thanks!

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
No problem, I might try and film some tutorials on this tomorrow, but I can't promise much.

270 posts

Posted:
That would be awesome.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The stalls you pointed out in Gs video are from butterfly, so you'll have to start with one fwd and one rev. I'd say that bending your elbow would probably help learning, or even if not could add a different flavour, I've seen Yuta do these with very bent elbows and a very different feel to Nick who was doing them opposite him at the time. I think its in the Poi Story video?

But Gs video is not the best to learn from because what he does there isn't actually just a stall, its also a very slick and barely noticable plane change. The effect is hugely different, but unless you know what you're looking for its hard to spot. ^_^

hug

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Honestly the only way is practice, practice, theory and more practice. Experiment with hand/arm placement in front of a mirror. Read some theory posts either on here, the tech poi tribe or find some videos. After reading start to develop your own poi "stall" theory. What works for someone may not work for another and poi is so much more then just "tricks": its all about flow! And to me great flow comes from a great understanding of theory not from a large repertoire of tricks.

Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonThe stalls you pointed out in Gs video are from butterfly, so you'll have to start with one fwd and one rev. I'd say that bending your elbow would probably help learning, or even if not could add a different flavour, I've seen Yuta do these with very bent elbows and a very different feel to Nick who was doing them opposite him at the time. I think its in the Poi Story video?

But Gs video is not the best to learn from because what he does there isn't actually just a stall, its also a very slick and barely noticable plane change. The effect is hugely different, but unless you know what you're looking for its hard to spot. ^_^

Personally I prefer to call G's technique plane breaking. To me plane changing is plane blending where you move your hand/arm in a certain way to change the path of the poi head gradually. Plane breaking is when you stall and right as the head looses momentum you change the plane the poi was in. Its easy to do this from wheel to wall plane; G has just perfected this every which way. I've been practicing this a lot as of late and let me tell you guys it opens up a whole new dimension to your flow.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Why plane breaking?

I call plane bending plane bending and then what I call plane changing plane changing.

When you plane bend you break planes, for a period of time what you're doing lies outside the two planes you're transitioning between.

When you plane change you switch directly between one plane and another around the axis of a 0 point and thereby never being in a plane that isnt either the one you transitioned from or the one you transitioned to.

hug

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonWhy plane breaking?

I call plane bending plane bending and then what I call plane changing plane changing.

When you plane bend you break planes, for a period of time what you're doing lies outside the two planes you're transitioning between.

When you plane change you switch directly between one plane and another around the axis of a 0 point and thereby never being in a plane that isnt either the one you transitioned from or the one you transitioned to.

Honestly I just prefer plane breaking. To me the way G spins is special- as if he is breaking planes/physics/laws of reality/whatever. =)

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Heheh, I like that. As long as we both understand what we mean then theres no real issue. Beyond preventing confusion the naming of movements is pretty arbitrary.

hug