Forums > Social Discussion > Politically correct terms and words we aren't allowed to use anymore

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Continued from the US Education thread...

How do we decide what words to use anymore in the PC world? I'm talking about black, coloured, retard etc etc.

In Medicine, I was learning about skulls and learnt it as Negroid, Caucasoid and Mongoloid +/- Australoid.
Later I used the term Mongoloid and was severly told off because you're not allow to use the term Mongoloid because it has non-PC connitations for Downs syndrome...
But these terms are still helpful in Forensic Anthropolgy...
So, someone decided to call Down's Syndrome people "Mongs" and it caught on and suddenly, the term Mongoloid wasn't allowed to be used anymore.

Same with Retard. Retardate was a word used in Medicine for many years (and still is with the STYCAR) , then people started to use the term "retard" derogatively. SO retard was struck off the language.

I can definietly understand how words like 'coloured' are offensive. Coloured creates an us and other polarisation.

The word 'black' has historical meaning... but if it didn't, would it still be offensive? Travelling in Africa, I got called "whitey". Is this racist? is it not racist because it doesn't have historical meaning and links to slavery and oppression?

Will we ever be able to 'claim' these words back?
i.e. can doctors use retardate again?
Or maybe can we decide that retardate ISN'T used to describe disabled/differently abled individuals and then youngsters are allowed to call each other 'retard' because it has taken on a whole new meaning in their language?

The word idiot had a similar history, being used to describe someone who was mentally deficient/differently abled (hell, even I don't know what terms to use) but now, most people could use idiot without someone saying "Hey, my borhter has a mental deficiency, I find that offensive" like would happen with the word retard.

Same goes for 'gay'.

When can we use these words? Should they be taken out of the language all together? Are they offensive if we use then in their original meaning i.e. retardate?

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ooh this is on topic

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
Interesting article. Didn't have time for the whole thing, But from what I read, it brings an interesting angle on the topic. Not sure just what to say on it yet. As far as I know, men's only clubs are falling from popluarity though. Perhaps a solution, or a stab at one, men's only or women's only clubs required to have a side for both (aka a men's only club must also be backed close by with a women's only) Or vice versa.

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Pyrolificcontext is everything. School yard vs Hospital for eg. Mechanic's shop vs city street, friend you've known for years vs a stranger etc etc

J

the thread can end here
think discourse and specialized language

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: This Jaded FleshWhat would be the female equivalent of Freemasonry? WI? lol

what? Wisconsin and freemasonry-what'd I miss?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

1,264 posts

Posted:
Haha everything.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: faithinfireOriginally Posted By: This Jaded FleshWhat would be the female equivalent of Freemasonry? WI? lol

what? Wisconsin and freemasonry-what'd I miss?

faithinfire: WI = Women's Institute. A bizarre bit of Englishness.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Opinion piece relating to the single sex clubs

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
The Nearest gym to me is "women only" which is very frustrating as the nearest gender free gym is much more expensive and doesn't have a pool and is missing other quality facilities. All this just so women can exercise without the worry of being judged by what they look like when they are trying to change what they look like. Because of course the reason I want to go to the gym is to look at tousled, sweaty women and tell them how unattractive they are. Not to get fit myself that would be ludicrous.

Surely they would be better having a fat person only gym so fat people wouldn't be discouraged by the statuesque. I'm sure women are more likely to judge other women on how they look than men are. I've met women - they can be so harsh wink

(Sorry, am I allowed to say fat in the PC thread?)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

DaedraSILVER Member
The Dae Walker
75 posts

Posted:
Mynci: I think for the purposes of keeping to the PC'ness of the thread, then fat should technically be "Overweight" but it's not as if saying "Overweight" makes it sound any better! Or large for that matter.
Though if it was taken less seriously then you could say, for example "That bobby is quite the man of substance" rather than saying "Bob's fat" (^_^)

Also. For all your political correct wording needs, you can consult...
The Politically Correct Dictionary (^_^)
EDITED_BY: Daedra (1259330307)

Once my father gave me a kiwi... I thought it was a rodent and I stroked it until all the fur fell out - White Ninja

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Speaking of fat discrimination.. i will point you all the

The Gruen transfer is an Aussie show all about advertising. and they have advertising companies come on and they give them challenges.

The challenge here was to promote 'fat pride'.

When I watched this on the net (the ABC decided not to screen it because of obvious reassons) I thought "That is a brilliant ad."

I think out of ALL the different forms of discrimination, fat discrimination is the most accepted. And whie people will get uptight abiout correct words for race... not many people will stop someone telling a fat joke.

What do you think?

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Yeah I don't get the gym thing. Especially considering if you play a sport then men are going to be watching you. Not to mention women being just as harsh judges as well! Oh yeah, and what has already been said about people going to gyms to improve themselves and not judge others.

I'd never* join a women's only gym.

*unless it was for completely financial reasons given my lack of employment

1,264 posts

Posted:
I aggree. Fat people, (People of substance?) Haven't had historical trouble, revolutions, and things like that, Even though their weight might not be all their fault. Though I think it's accepted because being fat is generally considered a personal problem, not something that's caused genetically or that can be considered discriminate. And It's not really right either. But also fat people even tend to tell fat jokes. As a whole, people don't tell fat jokes to fat people and fat people tend not to care or tend not to do anything about it if they are being made fun of. Low self-esteem for fairly obvious reasons. Fat people are the most easily bullied of the world in general. Unfortunately. Would you aggree?

1,264 posts

Posted:
And to rougie: Yeah, women's only gym does seem kind of pointless and annoying. Just frusterating and causes more problems than solutions id say.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I'm fat and I've developed a pretty thick skin (heh) over the course of my life. Plus we stay warmer tongue2

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Is it wrong if I call my overweight cat 'Fatty'? I don't think he can understand English tho?

J

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
And what about Durbs? can I call him Fatty too?

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Pyrolific - you, you fu*ck yoooooo!!!

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

Page: