• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Chat > Music to spin to, Tell us your favourite music to dance to

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...34567...13
Total posts: 45
Posted:Music to spin to, Tell us your favourite music to dance to

Has anyone ever thought of making a "poiers" music album? A collection of music that's GREAT to poi to? What music would you put on it?

My favourite music..

I'll start it off with 'Bony Incus (the man with no name mix)', by Eat Static. What music would other people put on it?

Happy (rythmical) Swinging,

Music Music Music

Music to spin to, Tell us your favourite music to dance to

the henna lady
Total posts: 6193
Posted:For future reference, please do two things....

1. This belongs in the help or technical section. Even I am not too sure on that one right now (tired...sorry). I am moving it to help, since that is what you are asking for. Next time, please post it in the appropriate place.

2. There is a search function at the top of the page under the post reply/new topic buttons. Use it. If you were to enter in this very topic it would have yielded about 30 or more threads on this very topic, some of this very name. Please feel free to post in old threads to bring them back to the surface where everyone can add to them as well as learn from some of the older cats who are no longer on here.

Normally I would close this thread, I am still contemplating it, but since it is covering a couple topics (the whole mp3 tech stuff), I will leave it open.

*this has been a recording of moderator Pele: she is not currently available as her mind went on break somewhere around 4pm this afternoon. Please leave a message and her mind will get back to you as soon as it can. Thank you*

Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Total posts: 30

I like to spin to Groove Armada - Super Stylin' (does have a slow intro though)

Well thats my $300 worth.

I believe in freedom, love, truth, and beauty.

Total posts: 83
Posted:Oops, sorry for reposting old threads! I was gonna search back through the threads anyway but hey, it's good to talk. We could all search for whatever we needed on the net and never have to interact with anyone right?

- Honk if you love peace and quiet!

Total posts: 60
Posted:i couldnt decide between these lot ....

Shy fx - original nutta
Klubheads-let the party begin
Urban Shakedown- Some Justice
Underworld- Born Slippy
Underground Resistance- The Seawolf
The Terroist- The Chopper ( might only be good if you've just dropped, so maybe not that one still a top tune though)
Storm- Time to burn (techno remix)
Sneaker Pimps- Spin Spin Sugar (remix)
Roni Size & Olive- You're not alone
Prodigy- Firestarter
There is a killer remix of Presidents of the United states - Peaches (kinda acid techno meets Nicky Blackmarket in a dark alley on a cold night with a bit of cheap tack pop thrown in )
Kosheen- Slip and Slide (suicide)
Josh Wink -higher state of consciousness (one of the many remix's)
Dj Zinc- 6 million ways to die

Non-Https Image Link

HoP Mechanical Engineer
Total posts: 729
Posted:Some good ones I enjoy:

AYLA - Ayla Part I, Ayla Part 2
ATB & York - Fields of Love (Darude vs JS16 mix)
Joga - Dam Dariram (This is a japanese DDR song)
Gouryella - Tenshi
Darude f/ Tammy Marie - Out of Control
Dj Sammy - Boys of Summer

May be a bit techno for ya but is what I dig on and they go GREAT with spinning.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Total posts: 282
Posted:Techno eh?

I don't think so Dio. Techno is a particular genre, not the umbrella term for electronic, or rather dance music. The tunes you mention fit better into the trance or commercial house genre, not techno.

just my 2c

So much fire, so little body hair...

Mr Potato Head
Total posts: 8
Posted:this will get u rockin

'Bodyrock' by Moby

I was so poor growing up ... if I wasn't a boy ...I'd have nothing to play with. --Rodney Dangerfield Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny. --Jack Handey Deep Thoughts

Total posts: 9
Posted:I never use fire on recorded music and always prefer djembes but here are some of the music I practice with at home:

- Greg Ellis - Kala Rupa album (all of it)
- Susan Deyhim (Fabulous Persian Rithyms)
- Mercan Dede
- Michael Brooks (He usually plays with local musicians like Nusret Fateh and all albums are good for swinging)
- some Dead Can Dance
- Air, Sphongle and Groove Armada
- Paul Oakenfold
- Kruder & Dorfmeister
- and Talvin Singh

(o: May all beings be happy :o)

Total posts: 2
Posted:you might not know of it or be able to get your hands not it but hows about a bit of "Le Peuple De L'Herbe" album-"P.H. TEST/TWO" track 3.
Prodigy, like practically everyone has said uummmmm shit! i dont know what the album is called or the songs, uhhhh right if i ever manage to get my memory back ill post it!

i wear my sunglasses at night, so i can so i can, watch you watching me!

starring Skippy the green llama
Total posts: 1148
Posted:just got some cheze anthem trance on this comp called 'Glo Stix', good stuff ta spin to

CRW "I feel love"(DJ Jamx and De Leon Remix)

Mario Piu & Mauro Picotto "Arabian Pleasure" (Ghibli mix)

Xavier Jacome "Comiensen A Vivir"

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Total posts: 724
Posted:U could try VNV Nation theyre very good, darkwave/trancey is the best way to describe them, some tracks are slow but there are faster ones especially Electronaut and Epicentre.
Hypertrax and Shamanic Tribes on acid are also quite bouncy too!!

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-single
Total posts: 536
Posted:I'm really suprized it hasn't been said already...
have you people forgot your roots?!?!

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

Northeast USA Firespinner
Total posts: 122
Posted:DJ Tiesto - Urban Train : Best trance song I have heard yet.

Since you are looking for harder, darker stuff, have you heard of Omar Santana? It's fast though (170-210 BPM) so you might get a good workout after 3-4 songs As for some other stuff, if you're a fan of Linkin Park, on their new album (Meteora) there is a song called "Faint". Good change in genre for a spinning song, methinks. I think it's track 7. That's my 36 cents

Total posts: 28
Posted:The "Mitusbishi Song" by Dirty Vegas is my favorite to spin to...

Probably corny, but it does have a nice beat!

...you're going to blow WHAT out of your mouth???????

Total posts: 1626
Posted:Look! I revived the oldest music thread I could find, just so as not to annoy people too much!

Basically, I'm looking for some music a bit like a single track I've heard.. a tall order maybe, but I know nothing about electronic music.

I have the track "Saltwater" by Chicane on a compilation and it's absolutely spellbinding.. and great to spin to! If anyone could reccomend similar stuff to me or even a genre I'd be very much obliged!

Thanks a lot biggrin

EDITED_BY: nearly_all_gone (1106403415)

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.

Flame Boy
Flame Boy

Total posts: 1508
Posted:wow You're right dude, I just listened to Saltwater and it is awsome, and I can totally see myself spinning poi to it.
Cheers man, you just opened me up to totally new kind of music! thankx

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Total posts: 1626
Posted:biggrin Glad to be of service! I'm totally Rockist, in that I never really expand my horizons outside of guitar music... but that track's so beautiful I couldn't help but love it smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.

Total posts: 18
Posted:ska ska ska ska and regge :]

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3533
Posted:spinning to ska? if you say so, dude. personally, i like any industrial or electronica to spin to. "sound of machines" by black and jones is a really good techno song, i love it

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Pasta of Muppets
Total posts: 2719
Posted:Did I suggest saltwater in another post? Dibs on the glory for that one... j/k ubbrollsmile

Lambretta Fanatic

Total posts: 4991
Posted:Written by: sparkey

spinning to ska? if you say so, dude.

is how i learned to twirl! confused did it do me wrong? confused
ska is fun!, it has rythem and energy.. have you ever listened to ska?.... confused wink listen to some "the splitters".

"To be an angel, one need not have wings.
In giving love there is an equal grace.
Nor need one seek the aura in the face,
As love unveils the beauty of all things."

*Francois Couperin.

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3533
Posted:okay, fine, i stand corrected footinmouth

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Tantamount to fatuity
Total posts: 15965
Posted:Wow i was a lot more eager back then biggrin

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Tantamount to fatuity
Total posts: 15965
Posted:Written by: Pele

Forgot to say Crazy Town does a song called Butterfly...I do a routine with nothing but butterfly moves to this

I wanna see that. you still do it P? ubbrollsmile

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

comfortably numb
Total posts: 2676
Posted:White Zombie - Devil Man
Nightwish - Over The Hills And Far Away (best song ever to twirl to)
Nightwish - Wish I had an Angel

I like to twirl to the metal like stuff, but not roaring death metal...Melodic metal with good beats.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Total posts: 1389
Posted:I did a show (only lights and flags, it was indoors) this past Saturday night, and used:

+ Terra Firma (Lara's Mix) - Delerium (from the Tomb Raider soundtrack)
+ Storm - Vanessa Mae
+ Schrei nach Liebe - Die rzte

The first one is really slow and trance-like. (Spun beamers because they're heavier and can be spun slower with more stalls) The second starts out very slow and quiet, then gets really loud and really fast... and the speed changes through out the song, slow, then fast. (spun flags because when spun fast they look like fire, and make noise like it a bit, and can also be spun slowly, with less stalls than beamers). The third... well, it was an encore, so they just played the next song on my CD, and it's a good german rock band. (Also flags again, just because they spin faster, without me fearing for my life).

In anycase, the first two songs are really good to spin too. People came and asked me if the music was made for my spinning!! eek (especially since I only had 3 or 4 things I had to do, the rest was just improv... spinning because I can biggrin)

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Total posts: 14
Posted:i find that the best thing to spin to is sum stoners with bongos or african drums.sumthing like that.

"The only people i con out of money are the ones who'd do the same to me if they weremore intelligent than i am."
"You use arrogance to cancel out guilt?"

eating apples with chopsticks can be rather difficult
Total posts: 167
Posted:dj scott brown is good music... great to spin to! (rave-ish music) smile

And all that's jazz
Total posts: 92
Posted:Check out Cuban and Latin Jazz. Heaps of rhythmic instruments, variety of feels (4/4, 6/8, 12/8, bembe etc.) for each spinning taste.

Other tasties are good solid big band or trio jazz of the Oscar Peterson design - really solid, easy groove, and if you're listening to a band with a halfway decent rhythm section, no confusion as to where the beat is.

If you're looking for something really whacked out to practice weird things to, check out guys like Dave Brubeck (album: 'Time Out'), most modern guys (particularly Dave Holland, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Jeff Tain Watts etc.) who play with some really weird time signatures. If you ever want to practice something insane like 9-beat to 7-beat weave transitions (don't worry, I wouldn't be able to do it in a million years, I'm not being pretentious), Bela Fleck's the only person I know to have recorded a song with half the band in 9/4 and the other half in 7/4 (you just have to listen to different sections of the band).

Interesting ways to approach music.

I don't really actually like spinning to rave/trance music - it's got a good beat to it but I find it too mechanical, no give in the rhythm (unlike real, live recordings) to play with. And not enough variety in fills, stops, changes etc. to supplement poi. Does look cool though if you can find one with plenty of variety.

Oh, you know what else looks impressive to spin to? 'Fortuna Imperiatrix Mundi' by Carl Orff (from 'Carmina Burana'), very visceral, Swedish bezerker-style music. Sveet.

C8H18 + 12.5O2 ---------> 8CO2 + 9H2O + you know what

Total posts: 11
Posted:"All your fire are belong to us"
It's a long strange list but here it is...
My Favorite Music to Spin Fire to:
Breaks(uberzone,omar santanna,simply jeff), Live Drums(bigger the circle the better), Blue Grass(Yonder Mountain String Band, Highgrass Pickers), Other Jam Bands(The Dead, String Cheese Incident, Railroad Earth), HARDCORE(Delta9, RobG, Neophyte, Doormouse, RonDcorE), Drill&Bass!!!(Aphex Twin,pigpen), Hip-Hop(immortal technique, talib kweli, benefit, deltron, and even some snoop),...there's something missing in this list hmmmm let me see here ohh ya when I was in guatemala we spun fire to a mariachi band and while I am not normally a big fan of mariachi it was enough fun to make it worth trying again sometime. Oh ya and then there is always the music in my head but it's really hard to describe. For me the fire is the representation of the music in my head, or at least my minds interpretation of the music I hear, manifest into visible form. Having said that. Have you ever just danced with the music of the flame.... That is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful and mind boggling experiences. To interpret the music with the fire when the fire is the music. Luckily the wicks burn out before you can cause any sever mental damage but too much thinking about that can drive you crazy man.... or at least that's what the music tells me....

8) The Gods, adored with brilliant fires. have granted precious wealth to us. So, with bright fires, we pray to thee.
From the Hindu sacred text "Rig Veda"

Page: 1...34567...13