WoodsyBRONZE Member
Spanking you kindly.
156 posts

Posted:
First of all, i'd like to say hello to everyone and say that there are some really great tutorials and supplies for poi, fire twirling etc.

I have been using poi for just over a week now, and have started with something simple.

Socks smile I have rolled up a pair of socks and put them at the bottom of an old pair of footy socks and just using them as very beginner practice poi. But they're too stretchy, one is longer then the other, and they aren't very weighter.

I plan to make a couple of poi out of some lengths of rope and tennis balls, but im not exactly sure how this'll work.

So my question(s) is;

Has anyone ever made poi out of tennis balls?
if so: how did you do it.

I have a pretty straight forward idea as to how i would make it, but im just wondering if it worked for anyone who has tried it.

(Note: These are just for practice, not for lighting on fire. I have already had a friend of mine say if i used them for fire, they'll melt - (duh!))

Thanks for reading/commenting (if you did)

~Woodsy

Woodsy:Down with the sound, and the people will all yell: "POWER IS MEASURED IN, DECIBEL".
Poje: not Joules?
Woodsy: No...Never grin

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
You can also drill a hole and put an eyebolt into it.

That is not very friendly though.

Better is to cut a slit in it and fill it with something (pearl barley works well) and drop that into a sock.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

WoodsyBRONZE Member
Spanking you kindly.
156 posts

Posted:
What i plan to do is to cut a very small section off of the top of the ball (maybe 6-8cm diameter)and put a very small hole in that cut off piece, then put the rope through that piece and tie it/super glue it so it doesn't come loose. then super glue the other half back one and duct tape the ball up around the hole.

From experience of supergluing tennis balls, i know that the superglue holds extremly well (from making match ball bombs) and the string is hoochi (wrong spelling?) string. so its very tough and even more durable.

but i plan on getting a set of fire poi so i can practice with them and get the feel of them before i start lighting them.

Woodsy:Down with the sound, and the people will all yell: "POWER IS MEASURED IN, DECIBEL".

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
If you're going to play with fire poi, the tennis ball thing is not a bad way to start. Rigid poi have a very different feel than stretchy poi. Personally, my fire poi are the best thing I've ever spun with, and I have a hard time bringing myself to switch to friendlier poi to learn new tricks.

With a tennis ball I would still add some extra weight. Others have mentioned beans/barley. Another common one a number of people I know use is coins (and it doesn't take too many coins to get a nice weight). I've only seen one person use tennis balls that weren't put in socks for their practice poi, and they used a... I forget what it's called... the plastic bits you put into drywall so you can put in a screw. They drilled a hole, glued that in, put in a small eye bolt. They still use the tennis ball heads to practice on their fire poi, too.
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1258494863)
EDIT_REASON: correcting some wording

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't go for tennis balls to be honest, they are too light, which can make it a lot harder to spin slower in the beginning. And spinning slow is the best kind of spinning as it teaches you more control and you can see what is going on.

A lot of people would recomend socks for spinning, instead of a tennis ball, fill it with bags of rice/flour/whatever. That way you can customise the weight to suit yourself.

You can pick up some rigid socks like these for fairly cheap. These are the best I have used for "practice poi". They were the first I got and still the ones I use most.

Re practicing with fire poi: Although the idea of it is a good one and can't do any harm. The weight with fuel in them drasticly changes the weight and how you spin with them (for me anyway). So could lead to a false sense of security if you practise loads without any fuel, get really good with it, and then find it's totally different spinning when fueld and lit. Obviously it doesn't hurt to practice with them but I would spend more time and attention to getting technique down than learning to spin with multiple different types... Just my fiew anywho smile

Edit: I should note that all of the above is just my personal oppinion and preferance, and is not a right or wrong way of starting smile
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1258506148)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I don't know, not have the pleasure of spinning Isis yet, but that will all change after 25th of next month wink

I agree that spinning with different materials and weights is a good thing and can help a lot. I have a pair of speevers (rigid and strong) a pare of socks (stretchy and flows more), Some custom "socks" (not actuall socks) wich are real thick, not too good for tangles and loops, but awesome for stalls and isolations, my flowlights with colecord. All of them have weighted handles, and I have my Nevisoul poi which are heavier than I'm used too but real fluent, and my fires which are nice but also have limitations in some areas which are all finger-loops.

I think learning to spin with unfueld wicks will give a false impression of how it will feel. Although it is good to get you used to spinning with some other materials, maybe used to spinning with chains and that, but I don't think it can really prepare someone for what it's like when spinning with fire and fuel.

That's how I did it, I played with my fire poi, got really used to them, came to light them and just didn't have a clue what was happening and nearly soiled myself hah tongue2.

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

WoodsyBRONZE Member
Spanking you kindly.
156 posts

Posted:
I have just made my first pair of tennis ball poi, and to be honest, they are a lot heavier then i thought they would be. It might just be because i was using sock poi with just socks for a week, but IMO the tennis ball ones are heavier then expected.

They spin well and i have fairly alright control with them, but they hurt when i go too fast *needs to go slower*

With the different weights, i might add a bit more weight to get use to it, depending on how heavy the poi are when they're weighted with fuel and just normal.

But im going to get fire poi some time over these coming Christmas holidays to practice with to get the feel of them.

Thanks for the advice and opinions everyone smile

Oh, and here is a picture of the poi i made. I might make a tutorial guide to this, depending on how many people want to know how i did it.

[img:left]https://tinypic.com/r/opokra/6" alt="">

edit: the image above doesnt show, so just copy and paste the link to view it.
EDITED_BY: Woodsy (1258515515)

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
In theory, you could soak them in water. Not sure if that has any long term effects though.

I think that what is more helpful about playing with unlit fire poi is that you get used to chains, which behave differently, even from rigid string poi.

Woodsy: Add some more weight if you can. Do it slowly as you get used to it more though, in an attempt to avoid injuries.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I recomend juggling balls. They are a nice weight, and don't hurt to much when you hit yourself.

Originally Posted By: astonIn theory, you could soak them in water. Not sure if that has any long term effects though.

Depends if you are intending on using them any time soon after. I soaked my wicks to get them out when I first got them, and they didn't light for almost a week afterwards and even then it took a few burns to get them right again. Could soaking them reguarly effect them some how in the long run do you reckon?

Yeah they are definitely good for learning to feel chains.

Did you get ball or oval Woodsy?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I'll vouch for the importance of grading up your weights (and learning some basic poi ergonomics). In my first couple of weeks spinning I pulled a muscle badly enough that it took about two weeks to be able to spin at full capacity again (probably would have been shorter if I'd just stopped spinning altogether for a bit, but my OC spinning is what makes me good :P). The big mistakes were A) a big bump in weight over my previous poi, and B) rotating my shoulder in awkward ways to stall behind me. It's much better, especially as your weights get heavier, to actually turn your torso to the side instead of trying to extend your arm behind you. Just FYI.

WoodsyBRONZE Member
Spanking you kindly.
156 posts

Posted:
I got tennis balls. I have made all three pair and am going to write a tutorial on how to do it too.

And i have learned that moving my torso is easier then moving my arms as well. Im not sure if i should add any extra weight though =/ The tennis balls feel heavy enough without any extra weight in them.

Does anyone know the weight of a pair of 50mm oval twist weka fire poi? ( https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-2-inch-OVAL-TWIST-Weka-fire-poi
)

because if it is heavier then the tennis balls im using, i shall re-weight the tennis balls closer to the weight of the poi smile

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
My fire poi are monkey fist, so they're probably a little lighter than those heads, but they're substantially heavier than tennis balls. I mean, on the outside, tennis balls are usually about 60g. My main practice poi have seven nickels in them each, making them 95g. One of my fire poi weighs more than both my practice poi, so, 190+g each. I don't know how big HoP's chains are; mine are fairly chunky.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Tennis balls are ok for the ultra basics, but once you get into flowers and even (especially) stalls tennis balls make things much, much, much harder.

I use 150g of rice in a big balloon as my weight. There are tutorials on how to make poi out of the rubber contact juggling balls, they tend to be called "ronan poi" by most. Ronan poi would likely be the most similar thing to your tennis ball set.

As for the fire poi, I'm surprised malcolm doesn't have weight specs, he does for most other products he sells... but I think that on average tubecore poi tend to be about roughly 100g full of fuel.

If you'd like my tip for fire poi sets for beginners I'd go for https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Cathedral-Twisted-Oval-Link-Fire-Poi

They're a bit pricier, but I feel its worth it. They burn for a lot longer and have much larger flames than the tubecore.

hug

BeNinjastranger
1 post

Posted:
When I first found out about poi I made a set of tennis ball poi. I found tennis balls aren't very forgiving-they hurt!

I now practice with home made bean bag poi, filled with just the right amount of magical beans. wink

It is alot more fun learning new moves when your not constantly hurting your self.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
My main practice poi are about 180g. Not sure what my fire heads are, but it feels like a lot more, probably over 200g.

MNS: What do Isis weigh when fueled up?

WoodsyBRONZE Member
Spanking you kindly.
156 posts

Posted:
I'll be getting a pair of fire poi over my christmas holidays so i can practice with them when i get better with my tennis balls.

I prefer my tennis balls too, because they were relatively cheap (~ $13 AUD total for a pair of 3 poi) And just because i made them smile

HOP Newsletter