Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > Big extended arm swingy spin thing?

Login/Join to Participate

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Okay, so there's a family of moves I've never seen videos of before, and while I understand the basics of one of them, I saw a variation today I'd like to be able to watch more of. The most frequent version of this I've seen is spinning around with arms extended in split time, making one very big circle. Today I saw one that had similar split time arm extensions, but it had this bowing, scooping motion, and it looked like the poi traced a figure eight on each side.

Is there a name for this sort of thing, and has anyone recorded themselves going through it?

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Long arm extensions.

Basically they are just that. I think many people would consider them as part of the flower family, albeit with zero petals.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
i would really like to see what it is your refering to, is there a link?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I eventually found a video of someone doing both, though at the time of the original post I had seen it in person for the first time that day.

The guy in this video does the thing I hadn't seen for the first time at 0:18 or so.

It's actually even simpler than I thought, I think the people I was watching just really exaggerated the body motions. I know everybody but me is probably familiar, but I haven't seen longarm stuff talked about online much.

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
You might want to try doing a melt down with your arms exted as well, it has a nice effect, one side will come out extention and the other will be anti spin, if you extend both ways. you can just extend in one direction if you want.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been trying to get the hang of the extension, but I can't seem to get it without hitting my leg. As for the antispin extension... I haven't even tried that yet, but I think I will at the jam today because that sounds badass.