Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
im working on my beer belly! i wanna get rid of it! meditate
EDITED_BY: johndhaive (1285823355)

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
LOL
doesnt poi help with it?

to spin or not to spin, that is the question.

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Poi has actually bulked me up tongue2

I'm now ironing out the kinks in spiral wraps, wall plane antispins, and head to head stalls. With socks only so far since I have limited space where my only mirror is in my bedroom (the bed and dresser take up most of the tiny space).

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNovicePoi has actually bulked me up tongue2

I'm now ironing out the kinks in spiral wraps, wall plane antispins, and head to head stalls. With socks only so far since I have limited space where my only mirror is in my bedroom (the bed and dresser take up most of the tiny space).

I has a tip for spiral wraps with socks. The stretch always made my spiral wraps uneven and sloppy looking. I realized this is from the stretch making the socks different lengths. My solution was quite simple, you cross the poi once right before doing the spiral wrap, making and anchor almost allowing them to stretch out together. This is the way I would test my socks to see if there the same length when I got new ones. may be tricky at first cuz you will be so used to regular spiral wraps. Hope this helps grin

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Air wraps.... *screams*

I'm trying to do air wraps to wrap and unwrap in an up - down situation instead of just a right - left.... if you know what I mean?

My words are failing me, and I have not a camera in which to film what I'm having trouble with.

787 posts

Posted:
Starting with your hands vertically spaced vs horizontally spaced? Adding those in varied positions would be a good exercise for me too...... ubbidea

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Brb weave turns--the other directions! Unit circle hybrids--the other directions! Other than that, I'm pretty solid on my floor plane G-style stuff, so polishing that and then working on stealing more tech from Rastaxel and Nulleamai.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I want to start with my hands parallel to the ground (horizontal) spinning same direction split time, air wrap, and end with my hands one on top of the other (vertical) split time same direction.
I have no problem going from vertical to horizontal.
I would also love to go from vertical to vertical with an air wrap but switching which hand is on top and bottom.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i'v been working on alot of alternating moves kinda like reels but in between petals of flowers and such so much stuff to work on and so little time

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

thegramreaperGOLD Member
I just wanna play it right
22 posts

Posted:
I just started practicing poi about two weeks ago, so far I can only do butterflies, forward and reverse and the two-beat weave both forward and reverse but I do still hit myself on reverse frequently. Currently I'm working on turns and practicing the timing and hand motions for the three-beat weave.

There's a time and place for everything, it's called "college."

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Not being so censored repetitive. I get bored to tears watching my own videos because I don't really know how to throw in a low level of constant variety. Gr. I try not to suck smirk

(For example, take these videos

Rastaxel:

Elemensce:

I choose these because both have some tech that I don't, but most of their performances are within the range of stuff I can do. Compared to my video vs. Epitome, however, there's a world of difference, and I'm just not sure what makes that difference.)
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1286502771)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
What I would suggest is try to make up a non-repetitive routine that way you get used to doing other things. Hell practice someone else's that closely fits your style if you have to. Just make sure it's not to a song you really want to spin to or you'll kind of ruin it for yourself. I did that exept I love the song I did it too so I wish I chose something else but it broke my habit.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

787 posts

Posted:
Sis11, my recommendation to add an element of variety isn't really dance, but stage presence. Maybe finding a theme/mood you want to convey, or assigning a personality or character into your routine, or dance/expressive movement into the mix whichever you feel more comfortable with. I think there is a lot you can do exploring the signature you put on the spin or just an expressive statement.

Currently I personally like to get lost or assign conviction to a spin, all of that disappears when working on new moves especially techy ones. I think whatever moves "move you" try to channel that and approach it from different perspectives. smile

~Rock on!~

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I think SoD's approach is closer to one that I can understand. Maybe not making up a routine per se, but at least blocking out longer phrases so that I have something to fall back on if the improv faerie goes missing.

Not that your suggestion isn't good, EoN, it's just not something someone like me can understand. Talk of "mood"/"character"/"expression" doesn't really mean anything to me. I know it's one of those things that's supposed to be obvious, but if you ask me to try and present a "character" or whatever I'll probably blink at you a few times and then maybe do something with my eyebrows... tongue2

787 posts

Posted:
That's alright, I sounded like a few of my English teachers from way back when with the description and remember my initial response on writing application! tongue2

I need to work on having the poi move slowly and figure out what length is correct for what move even though all that slow tai-chi "flow" is not me and I have NO conviction or connection to it. If I don't get it down I will not advance further, but I have no way of knowing how fast my poi are going so it may need to wait for a mirror or watching lots of videos of practice sessions.

I don't know how you guys go so slow and not have slack on the line or get bored and whack yourselves, happens to me every time!

~Rock on!~

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
In my case, trial and error. tongue2

Whack myself until I whack myself less. (The same way I learned to ride a unicycle: fall off until I start falling off less.)

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
To go slow you just feel out how fast you have to go to get it not to go slack. You also have to give a little more of a kick to the upswing to keep gravity from messing with it more. In other words, practice. And you can always go fast, but I tend to think it looks better when you have a ball of fire spinning around instead of a fiery streak.

787 posts

Posted:
No, when I say slow, I mean SLOW-SLOW. I can't wrap my mind around it, well without swinging some seriously heavy weight. How slow SoD spins is... lets just say there is a mental block on understanding it and how it works. It's an awareness thing and I'm guessing is not a skill that can be practiced indoors?

~Rock on!~

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
You can practice indoors. It's kind of like how I can ride a bike at almost a stop. And in my last video is what I think you're thinking of. I can do it with glowsticks, it's harder, but I can. If you can do it with glowsticks you can do it better with poi smile That is in the case of isolations and spinning slowly.

I would have to get off for a sec and analyze what I do. Before I do this I will say, having a light chain and heavier hed (center of balance close to the head) does make it easier, but you don't need it.

Ok, from what I can tell, I think it has to do with this, on the downswing my hand is basically still. But on the upswing it's like a tiny extension, of about an inch at the most, but it helps keep the momentum. I had only glowsticks in the room, I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but if it does, that's why.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

787 posts

Posted:
Even your early videos you could break into that ultra-slow spinning for short periods SoD. It's curious to me how it is possible, I posted two rather hilarious videos on youtube (first ever commentary vids/blog style). Like maybe taking a peek with the visual illustration about how I propel them would make sense of the confusion. There is a funny dance silly decomp video after that is tickling too! laugh3

~Rock on!~

JoshDGnewbie
49 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to nail spiral hand wraps, I can get my head around what I need to do with my hands but I'm having problems getting the left poi to wrap around like the right poi.

Ah well just keep practicing I suppose smile

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Btb variations now that I've got the basics, and I'm returning to tosses again. Also the stuff from my two previous posts; I jump around a lot tongue2

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Practicing acro? tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
No, it's a condition; I'm getting treatment ;p

Michael_LazenbyGOLD Member
The Stargazer
3 posts

Posted:
Behind the back weaves will be the death of me. Trying to get 3Bt btb and reverse 5Bt

"One last time to see the moon rise, and feel the rain heavy on our hearts. On towards the shimmering sky, we dance among the heavens, and sing upon the stars. We gaze upon their light, and bask within their hearts." ~ Me
*Save the Penguins!!!* <(^.^)>

Christopher_harperSILVER Member
Hey HOP
11 posts

Posted:
I am trying to get the 3bt btb weave down too. So annoying!!!!!!!
I love learning wraps and orbitals and hyperloops and air wraps.

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
working on my style, i think i need one haha.

to spin or not to spin, that is the question.

Runemist34SILVER Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to get the corkscrew and the windmill...I think that's what they're called. And, also, I'm trying to get the reverse 3b so I can turn with the 3b weave and still keep it going.
...I should actually be spinning my poi more than once a month!

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i am workin on btb weave turns and flower turns atm and they are a pain

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
ive lately built up a repotoire of basic and intermediate moves accross the different move groups so need to work on flowing between moves and building qa routine to music

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

Page: ......