JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
So I'm having an issue with the orbitals and I can't seem to find a very good explanation anywhere. I can get into an orbital just fine, but I can't seem to escape it no matter how I try. I've tried everything, twist, duck, turn, spin, push, pull, spit, cry. Always end up with the same thing. A knot that looks something akin to a handful of spaghetti.

Occasionally I get them free on accident, I know there has to be some simple trick to it I'm missing, so what is it? Any ideas on what to try?

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
it's a wierd feel sort of thing. I just figure it it out. I add a little slack and then ... like say the poi are spinning away forward to me (same direction as forward spin i move my left hand up and in and my right hand down and in. at the right time they come out in split time same direction. Pretty cool. I don't know how to explain it other than keep trying... it works the same no matter which direction the orbital are going... that is the left up and in and right down and in will work if they're going away from me too.... will work both ways, it just depends what you're used to feeling as far as the timing goes. To me orbital move to fast to be like "on odd beats" or after # spins. You know? but those general directions work awesome. You can also spin it out and then they'll just die out and you'll be able to just pull them out to forward butte

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I had the same problem, it helps if your poi are different colors, that way you can kinda see when it should come out.

It helps if you kinda isolate/stall going into it, and if you let the tension off a little they will slow down and that makes it a little easier.

I think it's just a case of practicing. It took me a few months to get it down, and it still messes up some times.

Oh, I sometimes give it a little push with my hands when I want it to come out too.

After a while you will start to feel when it's time to exit them.
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1257908794)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Lyei move my left hand up and in and my right hand down and in

Will definitely give this a shot, see what I can work out. I blame you for any bruises acquired while practicing tonight though. laugh3

Originally Posted By: LyeTo me orbital move to fast to be like "on odd beats" or after # spins.

Yeah, I couldn't count them. Probably could I guess, but seems way easier to just learn the motions and then kinda get a feel for it.

Originally Posted By: T-S-AI had the same problem, it helps if your poi are different colors, that way you can kinda see when it should come out.

I can do different colors, no problem. I'll just wrap one in colored tape till I get it down laugh3 Problem is, even if I can see it I haven't figured out when it should exit anyway.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Thezack
Originally Posted By: T-S-AI had the same problem, it helps if your poi are different colors, that way you can kinda see when it should come out.

I can do different colors, no problem. I'll just wrap one in colored tape till I get it down laugh3 Problem is, even if I can see it I haven't figured out when it should exit anyway.

Your lucky I have my poi at work wink

I am right handed, so I have my right poi spinning backwards and left spinning forwards. I have done a little pic to help, don't know how much help it will be

Non-Https Image Link

So I enter it on the left, they cross, I tug. When the red poi is moving up between your hands, and upwards and the left poi is coming down, try turning to the right and kinda motioning it forwards with your right hand to get it out.

Edit: I just noticed I did the arrows on the right pic wrong. But I am hoping from the rest of the pic and what I said kinda explains it.
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1257912921)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
So I've been trying out what you guys have suggested and a little trial and error with a few different things. Also trying to keep it as slow as I can and up high a bit where I can actually see the strings at work. Slowly but surely making progress.

Thank you both for the info, think what's left now is just practice and get a little better timing.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
It's all about practicing, took me quite a while to get it, had to consult some good spinner friends and eventually one day it started to come, and just keeps improving. Try doing it the opposite direction, it's much harder at first, but seems to be a bit easier when you get used to the movement.

chemairoSILVER Member
person who like to spin all gears
62 posts

Posted:
And if you still have that problems.
I found 2 interesting ways for me.
On the first way I pull the Orbital till it is "death" and then it falls into a butterfly, and then you are back into the flow.
the second way is that I still pull the Orbital to its end but then I fully isolate the two heads of the poi and so I try to untwist the chain again.

270 posts

Posted:
Hey I already said that.
EDITED_BY: Lye (1257977378)

crimsonclearGOLD Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
One tip that really helped me in exiting orbitals is making sure your hands rotate to the right direction. I do mine from reverse weave left to right.

When locking into the orbital, my right hand is out in front of my left, then bring it to the middle to give it the tug. Exiting your hands have to swap, with your left hand now being out in front of your right. (this is all assuming from the wheel plane, wall plane one hand is out further from your waist.)

Also, like mentioned above, when you want to exit, release some tension from the poi to slow them down. I first learned to exit orbitals over a year ago and I'm still 50/50 on getting out of them with chains. (although, the performers around here that I've seen seem to keep pulling the orbitals till the heads meet to exit, rather than exit via unwrapping the chains).

I defiantly recommend different colored socks as an aid.

AllToreUpSILVER Member
the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away...
19 posts

Posted:
Something that helped me when I was trying to learn orbitals... I'd let the chains connect and move into the orbital, there I'd just maintain tension on the chain (don't pull too hard) and just let it unwrap. You'll eventually get a feel for when the chains are about to release. When you're comfortable with the timing on that, you can start working on getting out of the orbital.

$0.02

I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Another bit of advice, if you havn't already, try working on hyperloops, especially hyperlookp buzzsaws (also known as infinate hyperloops).
The dismount from them are very similar to thoes of orbitals, and they give you time to look at when you should be comeing out, not a fool proof way of doing it, but will definitely help, especially at the start.

Perhaps when doing an infinate hyperloop, give the strings a little tug so you get a short lived and kinda slow orbital. That will help with the feeling a little more and the eye recognition.

270 posts

Posted:
I just found a new way to get out of it! Don't hold them very tight and just keep turning your body... it'll seem like they're going to collide (and they might a bit) but then they'll just fly apart!

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Doing them with turning your body helps a lot, and I personally think is a good way of doing them as it can open up more possibilities when you get out of them.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
My understanding is that this is roughly how a hyperloop works, so that would make sense. Not that I can do a hyperloop or an orbital.

Now that I'm here, are there any good threads kicking around on getting *into* orbitals? I've seen Nick's video, but am wondering if there are any finer points.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s