Forums > Help! > night club performing tips/help please

Login/Join to Participate

bobthefishstranger
3 posts

Posted:
hi there,

i do fire breathing and have done for about 2 years and am wanting to start performing at night clubs and have a couple of nights lined up, Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of an insurence provider and also is there anything else i need to get sorted out first? do i need a license of sorts?

thanks for your time smile

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
I don't do nightclubs and don't fire breath. BUT I can reccomend that you get the okay to do indoor performances from your local fire chief. Bring a written discription of your act, things you use, how they are used and all your safety precautions. Give them plenty of notice. I had to do this pre indoor performing. Insurance is also a good idea but I don't have that and don't know where to point you for that.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

bobthefishstranger
3 posts

Posted:
thanks for that lil nugget of info, i wont be doing indoor fire breathing just yet, i will be out on the mainstreet infront of the club. I just want to make sure i am fully prepped etc insurance etc wise, i have scouted around for insurance companies here in the UK but dont seem to be having any success frown

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
you should be able to get it through equity and first act insurance I think

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Insurance wise, we use Duck for Cover.. They're Australian.. but I think they cover for everyone 'cept US.

In Clubs - always touch base with the bouncers and ask for one standing by you to tackle the drunken idiots....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: natasqitouch base

Is that gay slang? confused

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
for fire breathing - rees astley will probably cover you, they are UK based agents. do 2 million PLI or 5 million PLI 5 million is about £285 2 million is probably about £185

Check with your local council if you're on the street, they may require minimum of 5 million PLI (Public Liability Insurance) as that's what most councils around here require (southampton / bournemouth)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

bobthefishstranger
3 posts

Posted:
good times, cheers for the info everyone, gonna give a call round today, bouncers always do help. I've done a couple of fire staff performances at night clubs before and made sure a bouncer is there, quite useful they are. + it adds some comedy tongue2

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFootOriginally Posted By: natasqitouch base

Is that gay slang? confused

I don't know why you'd think the slang to be gay!

Maybe its Aussie slang..
touch base = have a quick chat

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
If you're on the pavement outside the nightclub, you'll need to check with the local authority too as it's "public land/highway" so you'll need their permission or a license. In the slim chance the nightclub owns the land this shouldn't be a problem.

You'll very likely need to complete a full written risk-asssement, depending on your insurer you may not be covered if this isn't done - and if you say you're going to do something in your risk assesment, e.g. tape off an area, make sure you actually do it,or again you won't be covered.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude