Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
Aight, I've spun practice poi and glowsticks for a while now. But I'm just starting on Fire poi. I'm looking around for different wick types and have seen different prices on different sites and wonder if one wick is better quality than the other. I don't want to get a cheaper wick/kevlar strip and find out that its also worse quality than others (aka frays easier, burns/wears out faster, ect. ect.) Any suggestions? Who is the best supplier? Are there differences in quality or am I safe pretty much wherever I buy from?

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Right here is pretty good, start of with the basic Cathedrals and then from there, evaluate what you'd like out of your fire pois.

Hope that helps!

This statement is false...?

Charlie FoxPLATINUM Member
Burinating the village like Trogdor
156 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: TideRight here is pretty good, start of with the basic Cathedrals and then from there, evaluate what you'd like out of your fire pois.

Hope that helps!

There is a lot of debate on which types/blends/sources the 'best' kevlar comes from.

But debate aside, the facts are, the HoP Kevlar as used in all HoP toys and toys by many other manufacturers, with care lasts 12 months or more.

But there are more variables than the wick type which dictate kevlar life (I am of course assuming by best quality you mean longest lasting).

Tightly wrapped tube cores will last longer than a cathedral of any construction for example.

Some use brass re-enforced wick (like MB on their Fire Clubs at least), this does last longer but is dangerous as the metal in them gets hot, and has a tenancy to cause bad burns.

Some use wick which is Pure Kevlar (whereas HoP wick is a Blend of Kevlar and Fibreglass), Pure Kevlar wick though is far more expensive, and depending on it's weave(there are many ways to weave the wick) has an inferior burn time, though it is more durable...

I could well go on for hours about kevlar types... But i won't... i'm sure others have before me if you search the forum smile

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!
- Anon (I think)

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
don't use kevlar labeled as K2

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

ThelemicPotterSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
Quote:don't use kevlar labeled as K2
Why?

Don't just say something and then not explain why.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
it's 2 pieces of 1/16th (i think) thick kevlar sewn together to make a piece of 1/8th thick. It falls apart quickly and frays bad

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
The thick wicking sold on HoP is good, you use less, its durable, I've never had any problems, I always get my stuff from here. The shipping is a bit much sometimes, but its halfway around the world. On the other hand, the tech support can't be beat and the quality is the best.

Don't mind me, just passing through.