bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if this is in the right section but I'm sure that most poi spinners have played with a meteor atleast once... (Two poi in one hand? laugh3)

Anyways, I'm curious how far you guys have taken the whole "meteor" thing. I have found lately that hybrids - Isolation vs extention and antispin flower vs isolation - Are quite easy to and extremely fun to play with. Another fun trick is a spiral wrap -> butterfly. How I do this is when the it comes time to perform the spiral wrap I spin into wallplane and only let one head wrap around my wrist. It was difficult at first to keep the planes straight though...

Another move I have been playing with is... instead of holding the meteor in the middle of the heads o---*---o if you hold it closer to one head say like o--*----o start spinning and start to isolate the longer side a bit as to make it appear you are holding it in the middle. It has a nice feel to it and has really helped my isolations!

Sorry for the incoherent post... I've been at school for nearly 9 hours straight now. YAY COLLEGE!

Charlie FoxPLATINUM Member
Burinating the village like Trogdor
156 posts

Posted:
seen this??

That guy blows my mind.

Fenfire does some work with the Meteor too.

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!
- Anon (I think)

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Omg no.. thanks! Never thought I would see a meteor spun just like a contact staff

Charlie FoxPLATINUM Member
Burinating the village like Trogdor
156 posts

Posted:
Neither did i, it still doesn't make sense!! Enjoy smile

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!
- Anon (I think)

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
you can also manipulate and throw more than one meteor like my friend Acciaio

And remember to look for some video by Chris Rovo, he rocks with 2 meteors!

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: nulleamaiyou can also manipulate and throw more than one meteor like my friend Acciaio

And remember to look for some video by Chris Rovo, he rocks with 2 meteors!

Ah I've been doing the same with my flowtoys(with handles). Well I mean incorporating throws into my flow. Lately I've been working on classifying thows in my head. How far has the community taken the concept of "throws"? Does anyone know? =)

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Yay more meteorites.

So first bjrcboy, I know there are a bunch of spinners out there who have really delved into throws though I don't really know of any unified classification system. However as far as throws go all sorts of patterns like showers and other fun repetitive jugglesque variations are possible. Then when you take into account all the different releases (horizontals, flats, antispin, etc.) and catches (normal catches, wibbles, whip catches etc.) the possibilities become quite numerous indeed. What types of throws have you been playing with?

Now back on topic. So I don't think that their are too many people delving into the deep tech side of meteor just yet so I wouldn't expect a huge response. As far as the hybrid stuff you were talking about goes I have played with those concepts a bit. Mostly I mess around with hybrids in the opposite direction (mercedes, cateye/extension, and Zan's linear extension pattern). These are cool for sure but I guess I haven't gotten too into them yet though I can see where turning them and switching hands could lead to some cool possibilities. I mean shoot one-handed CAPS sound pretty damn awesome to me!

In the second part of your first post the concept you're talking about using is a quarter length or off center grip. I really enjoy playing with this style of holding the meteor because it opens up a lot of possibilities. Like you said you can isolate the long end which is creates a nice effect but there is much more. All sorts of really fun utl variations open up when spinning in this grip and switching which end you're holding off center while weaving from side to side leads to all these interesting thru wraps. Oh and doing antispin flowers in an off center grip looks pretty cool IMO. That sweet fake matrix thing the fenfire meteor guy does is really just passing quarter length grips in the horizontal plane so it really is a handy concept.

Something that popped into my head earlier was trying to do a continuous rotor in front wall plane but instead of spinning at the middle, isolating the meteor in place at quarter length. It would be kind of like a continuous isolation/extension hybrid in wall plane. I picture something akin to isolating a mini-hoop in my head. Now that would be sick!

What is everyone else playing with right now?

Peace, Love, Circles

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Ah you've found my post Rovo! First things first:
Throws throws and more throws have really been on my mind as of late. Ever since I've started juggling really. Lately I've been focusing on shifting the plane during the throw, much like Ronan. Instead I switch from wheel plane to wall plane then back to wheel plane. Another throw I've been working with is a cateye with a throw at the top then back to cateye. And so much more, pendulum throws, changing the direction of spin during the throw. Also I've been able to perform a hyperfloop mid air from a double reverse butterfly on accident a few times but I haven't tried that in awhile. Needless to say it looked absolutely amazing to have my poi tangle and untangle in mid air before falling back to my hands.

Club passing patterns with fire poi during a partner poi performance would be... amazing.

A isolation/extension in wallplane continuously is indeed possible! I can usually get one or two rotations before it falls apart. Its a simple concept - its just when you pass from one hand to the other it needs to be extremely smooth otherwise you loose the isolation.

This morning I have been able to get a four petal antispin flower in wallplane a time or two around. Once again its all in the hand passes. Also antispin flowers in wheel plane while spinning seem highly possible. I think you touched on that in a video I saw from firedrums.

Seriously though more people should try out meteor. Its like poi but like staff. The possibilities are endless in my opinion.

Hopefully we can rack each others brains when your in the bay!

Peace, Love and Circles (thanks for that one btw)

EDITED_BY: bjrcboy (1256932397)

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
wow amazing video but the contact meteor is actually almost exactly like contact staff because in my knowledge of meteor it is very similar to staff its just not solid like a staff i also noticed a few rope dart techniques this guy has my plan in mind i want to get very adept with poi staff meteor and rope dart and incorporate all of it in one and use led meteors it would be really amazing to make hyperlight meteors smile

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
hehe, summer's coming and folks start whipping around the meteors. Recently Im trying to figure out some negative space issues.

One way is to wrap the leash around my back, use the heads to create a "real" straightjacket, and then try to pull the whole thing above my head and then take the tangled meteor and stretch my hands apart to widen the loop before untangling in a hyperloop manuever.

Airwraps that untangle on an inside plane, things like that.

I love staff moves on the meteor. I can do steves no problem and am starting to get a handle on angel rolls and vertical SNES moves. The hardest one so far has been fishtails. You just can't quite keep it straight. Its definitely easier with the pivot point offcenter, short side on the pinky end. But I end up with a wrist wrap. I only get it once in a blue moon so its totally accidental still.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow