TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Alrighty, this has probably been asked a billion times but I couldn't find my answer. I'm looking for a fuel that I can use indoor that I don't necessarily have to order over the internet - I'm leaving that as a last resort, and I'm thinking Firewater.

Alternatively; here's what I've tried.

Kerosene - Too smoky during and after burning, the amount of smoke given off is awful.

Methylated spirits - Never got a proper chance to test this, but I found it easy to put out towards its later burn (possibly a pro) and it lights really, really easily. Close to no smoke. Only smokes when put out, barely any then.

Pure Paraffin - Horrible. Pretty much fire retardant.

So, what fuels could I buy without having to travel/order over the internet that's good for indoor performance on the poi?

Thanks ahead!

This statement is false...?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
you're located in NSW and have troubles locating Shellite? Low odor kerosene? umm best stuff I've come across...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

TideGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
Ah, I forgot to mention. I do know about Shellite. What is that? I've heard that it's like methylated spirits. Have you used indoors before?

Low odor kerosene seems to cost 1.5 to 3 times as much as odored, so I don't bother, but is it smokeless and largely scentless, good for indoors?
EDITED_BY: Tide (1256544895)

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Shellite indoors? that sounds pretty scary to me, Shellite has a freaky low flash point and transfers onto things that you may hit or splash with out going out and even if you are really careful the risk is still high.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Charlie FoxPLATINUM Member
Burinating the village like Trogdor
156 posts

Posted:
Find Iso-Parrafin oil, a.k.a. Pegasol 3440.

None of the other Pegasol's are suitable, nor are any of the equivilents like Shelsol T.

The trouble with meths (and all other Alcohol based fuels) is a very weak flame, i.e. not very bright (unless of course you use some of the color salts sold by HoP)

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!
- Anon (I think)

CyricxGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
smokeless, odorless, sootless lamp oil (parraffin)

or

Naptha (coleman's camp fuel), if the ventilation is real good.

I prefer naptha, because if I do have any spray and don't get the heads completely spun off before burning, it doesn't have the heavy oil base that makes the floor slippery, and it evaporates so quickly.

Either way, it should only be done in like auditoriums or such. With high ceilings and serious ventilation.

That's my opinions anyway. smile

US Performer liability insurance run by performers. Why pay more then you have to?

WeAreSafe.org

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
WA uses Recosol G which doesn't smell, tastes ok and doesn't smoke very much. It's an industrial cleaner so we get it wholesale from.. some place.

I don't know if there is anything comparable is NSW, you'd have to contact cleaning agencies and get samples and MSDS.

I would vote against Shellite if you haven't used it before because unlike Recosol/Kero, you can't dip it stuff and it's v hot and leaves trails.
Great for fire eating acts, bad for everyday spinning, especialy inside.

Great Shellite scare story - my close friend Stu was using Shellite (not in a gig, just practicing) and didn't know you couldn't dip lit stuff. He put some lit sticks in and the container went up (plastic). For some reason he thought that maybe the fuel would explode so he tipped the burning fuel out all over the ground. tongue2

Luckiy someone else was watching and smothered it all with a towel.

TideGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
So... here's a list of things from hardware stores within a few minute's walk or drive from me:

Kerosene Too smoky
Odorless Kerosene Not tried yet
Methylated spirits Wimpy flame, but impressively bright when coloured
Shellite Not tried yet
Pure paraffin Fire retardant, can even be used to douse wicks

Now, about those other things... I've always wondered where they get these Brandname-X Formula-Y things, where do you get them from?

156 posts

Posted:
Find the manufacturer and contact their information line, Pegasol 3440 is made/sold by Mobil, so get ye olde yellow pages, give em a call, and ask where you can source it from.

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

- Anon (I think)

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Recosol G is sold by Recochem.com.au - so says google...

156 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: natasqiRecosol G is sold by Recochem.com.au - so says google...

Looks like good stuff, similar, but better than Pegasol 3440, both are an Iso-Parrafinic fluid.

MSDS

Though you will be stuck buying a 20 or 200L container unless you find a company who can/does decant, though, in NZ it is the same story with Peg, i typically buy in 20 or 60L drums and the on sell to friends who want it in 1L containers.

- A.A. Milne

- Anon (I think)

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
parrafin isnt flame retardant, it just has a low flash point and gets everything all oily. Naptha is alright. Coleman's is good. It has a bit of smoke, but if people are expecting a fire show, they should expect a bit of a smell for a while after. Just open a few windows or doors.

Don't mind me, just passing through.