Forums > Social Discussion > I need ideas for a Poi/Staff/fire-play course Im designing!

Login/Join to Participate

420orion727SILVER Member
Tha 'hootah of tha funkeey buhdah!
3 posts

Posted:
First off, Im new here so hey pplz, whaddup? My name is Orion and at this point I spin a contact staff and a home-made LED rope-dart (using a rainbow glow-ball from inside a set of jailhouse poi)

Okay, so here's the scoop... Im completing my high school education these days and Im doing a program where I can create my own electives and get credits towards graduation from doing so... naturally I'm making a course on poi/fireplay/etc and Im wondering where I should go next... I've done a write up on the history of poi, as well as a write up on readiness and safety... now what should I do? Any ideas?

I was thinking I might try to document the process of teaching myself a new trick (Im working on 'the steve' these days) but Im not entirely sure how to do it... maybe film it and talk about it or something?

Id love some ideas... anything you can think of that I might be able to incorporate into my course...

BTW... this is a self-design course, so I can be as thorough or brief as I want... it's all up to me and I get an A pretty much no matter what, so don't be hesitant to share an idea with me...

Thanks, Orion

orions727(at)gmail(dot)com

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
maybe a bit on the physical benefits of spinning?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Do a paper on philosophy of object manipulation and then another on the physical benifits of it. Make a sylabus about how you plan to teach others and the learning outcomes and such. I'm kind of questioning the merit of a school that lets of do whatever you want all day. Can I facebook on my phone all day and call it a communications elective?

Don't mind me, just passing through.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I have a massive dissertation on the health beneffits of juggling and circus skills. it's a pretty easy topic. also includes fun learning techniques with circus props the sources are easy to find and the science not overly complicated although It can be, using friction, turning moments etc for staffs and effects of gravity, time etc on Juggling. you can be as scientific as you want or give historical info, your choice A big paper on this is pretty easy.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

420orion727SILVER Member
Tha 'hootah of tha funkeey buhdah!
3 posts

Posted:
I hope you were kidding about the Facebook crap... check it out if your interested(, but no, stupid things like that are not worth a course... for example, I had to ask about using poi as a course subject and was told that it falls under the predetermined category of 'Visual and Performing Arts', so it's gotta have some form of artistic or learning merits...

I've done a write up on the physical benefits of spinning and the mental/psychological benefits...

The physics aspect is certainly something I've been considering for some time, but I dont know where to start it.

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to doccument the process of learning a new move? All I can think of so far is to just film hours of practicing and edit the footage to find where I make breakthroughs and then annotate that censored but IDK...

orions727(at)gmail(dot)com

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Learning a move: Try something over and over until you get sick of hitting yerself/dropping it

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!