Forums > Help! > fire staff question

Login/Join to Participate

AgentChesterDesmondGOLD Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Please forgive me, I know there are numerous threads about this but I can't seem to find a specific answer for me.
I am interested in purchasing a fire staff. The new one's on HOP look very nice but the longest you can get is 4.5 feet. I am 5' 11''...is that entirely too small for me? if so, can someone recommend a good site to get a longer one from? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
4.5 foot will be ok for you but its more about preference than anything else. If you really want a bigger one try www.firetoys.co.uk.

"Don't do it naked!"

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Or make yer own...it's easy and way cheap

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Absolutley, Meg's done an article on making your own staff on her site www.firestaff-tutorials.co.uk should answer any questions you have there.

"Don't do it naked!"

vicki_snstranger
3 posts

Posted:
**Deleted**
EDITED_BY: Durbs (1256554698)
EDIT_REASON: Please do not advertise other companies on this site - see forum rules

Charlie FoxPLATINUM Member
Burinating the village like Trogdor
156 posts

Posted:
I'm 6' tall and i prefer a staff that is 4' long.

Shorter staves allow more speed, bigger throws, and are less prone to bending when dropped.

For contact i use 4.5'

I do make my own though.

Depending on if your just starting, or have been doing this for a while, you may not want your staff to be much taller than your armpit, or twice the length of one of your arms.

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!
- Anon (I think)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
can't find Megs staff-making tut... frown

long staff usually limits your range of moves...

best to take a broomstick and cut your way down to the perfect length for whilst practicing... ideally you take a diameter you can then insert into a 1 - 2mm aluminum tube...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
If you want to make your own staff, I know that Home Depot or Lowes sells aluminum tubing in something like 10 foot lengths. I know they say the average is shoulder height, but personally I like a shorter staff so I can spin a bit faster with more control. Anyway, a 10ft pole should be long enough ^_^

Don't mind me, just passing through.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
So what could I not touch with a ten foot pole?

And Tom's suggestion of cutting down until you find a comfortable length is a good one. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
lol, I was planning on doing some ridiculous act on stilts and a 10 ft staff with something like 2 ft of fire on either end. I spent a lot of time on these forums looking up what was the best thing to use to spin. After a long time I realized the best thing to spin with is what you like best. Experiment a lot, try every toy you see. Most people don't mind letting you take a quick spin with their gear.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I've seen stilt giant staff. it's nice but soooo slow. matrix is impressive but with the speed the staff actually moves you could start it then make a cup of tea and he tea would be ready before the staff had got round. the turning moments for such a long stick reduce the effectiveness of actually spinning it as the middle has to move extremely quickly to get any kind of speed at the ends.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
I'm sure it would be crazy heavy too. Having that much material on something. It was a passing thought I had once after seeing a guy on stilts use a crazy big fire hoop. Like... comically big... fire hoop. Didn't do much with it, but just seeing him come out on it was a pretty sick thing to see.