Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Hopefully there's not already a thread on this somewhere...

I've been trying to get air wraps down, and I seem to have hit a snag. I can do them in one direction pretty perfectly, and can even throw them randomly into other chase-based motions in that direction, but the other direction is not making any sense.

About 1 in 20 times I get a badly out of plane air wrap, but it works. 2/20 of the time it will unwrap after two spins instead of the one it's supposed to take. 8/20 it gives me an orbital that I can't get out of, and 9/20 of the time it just tangles. I'm trying to do the handy things it mentions in the videos, but none of them seem to help my success rate, and I just can't tell what I'm doing differently on the side that works.

Anyone else have this problem, and if so, what was the solution? Is it just one of those things that if I keep tangling over and over and over I'll magically be able to do it some day, or are there some common problems I can work on? I really hope it's the latter.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Go back to your other side and try to nut out whats different.

Which tips are you using from videos?? This might a) give us insight into what you're doing wrong and it will b) stop us from repeating what you've already heard.

hug

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
if you spin like i do. I spin great one certain direction for my regular spins and isolations if i spin the other way im horrible. I'm good at doing for/rev weaves butterflys etc etc but when it comes to basic spins in front of me im horrid.
Focus on the position where both heads meet and i believe its a practice issue

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
The idea behind the basic airwrap is that its nexus/tangle point goes from outside to inside (or vice versa). You might not be doing that.

Try Durbs' video tutorial on YouTube. Is a helpful one.

But some more info on exactly what you have been trying would be helpful. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Hm, details. Well, I usually practice my air wraps from a forward weave, and from that motion my good side is on my right. So when I bring both poi over to that side I sort of swing them into each other with relatively small hand motions. As the one video says, just sort of laying one on top of the other, not putting too much tension on them. Works like a charm, except on my left side.

I suppose the only difference I really notice is that I emphasize my downswing on the right side and my upswing on the left (keeping the emphasis in my right hand). Hm, actually I just noticed trying it now that at the end of my left side air wrap attempts I tend to stop with my left hand higher than my right like I do on my right side. That seems wrong. I'll have to play with changing that a bit...

EDIT: Oh, and I might mention I'm using my fire chains with double swivels. Video says socks are better, but I could never do them even this well until I started on chains.
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1256313059)
EDIT_REASON: Additional info

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
I had alot of trouble learning these the other way as well. I think that, in my case atleast, the problem wasn't so much in my airwrap technic or my understanding of the movement, but more so in my basic ability to spin my poi in the opposit direction from what i was used to. For me it was a hard pill to swollow, but once i took the time really relearn how to spin in the other direction every aspect of my spinning inproved. I started out just trying to do alternating circles in front of my, then smoothing out my weave turns in that direction, then trying simple things like windmills and crossers (which is supprising difficult in a direction you arent used to!). After taking what felt like 30 steps back, i noticed that the flow and consistancy of my spinning had improved more then i could have imagined. I know this probably isnt the answer you were looking for, but i hope its some thing that you think about the next time you pick up your poi. Just imagine all the movements you have learned up untill this time and how many of those movements you can reverse on at any time. air wraps will follow plane controll and timing, dont rush them. think about the other direction as a second chance to learn old moves for the first time. smile sorry for the long comment, i hope it helps some. Happy spinning.

oh, and if all else fails, relying on magic magic is always an acceptible alternitive.
EDITED_BY: Rives (1256472797)
EDIT_REASON: additional info

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonThe idea behind the basic airwrap is that its nexus/tangle point goes from outside to inside (or vice versa). You might not be doing that.

This is really important to know.

poi hit like this: /\ and unwrap like this \/
if you're looking from this line

if you make that angle and hit them in the same spot it should always work

270 posts

Posted:
Also try doing it almost right at the poi head, that's also easier.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yup, I know it's supposed to do that. But the trouble of it is getting the poi to actually do it. All I can do is control how they hit each other, and the rest is up to Newton tongue2

Somebody at the last spin jam here noted that hitting at an angle was really important and suggested I try emphasizing it (Durbs mentions the slightly off angle, but didn't really make it clear to my mind how essential it was). It's sort of improved, but I only can get it to work consistently when I emphasize the angle enough that my up-swinging poi swings way out and the down-swinging one usually hits me. I suppose it's a start, though.

270 posts

Posted:
Use a mirror to check that the speeds of the poi are the same and that they hit at the same spot on each poi. maybe even mark it.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Spend time on it, as MNS said, as MNS said, go back to the other side, look at how you are doing it there and compare it to the harder side. Using different color poi really helps too.

Do you find that when just playing around you tend to spin forwards most of the time?

Most people will have a weak hand, and it takes more time to train that hand. Everything I learn, I make a effort to learn backwards at the same time as learning it forwards. Spinning in a way your not used too is hard and takes work, but once you start to get comfortable with it, learning things like air wraps backwards isn't as taxing. It took me quite a while to get it backwards, it just takes work and attention. Maybe spen 10-15 minutes of a spin session just going over it backwards, the more you do it, the easier it will become and the more you will be able to figure it out.

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

AllToreUpSILVER Member
the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away...
19 posts

Posted:
The best advice I've ever gotten on this was pretty simple... If you're spinning clockwise in your front wall plane, when the chains hit move your right hand up and to the right. The opposite works for the other way. Counterclockwise is left hand up and left.

After trying to learn this for two weeks, someone told me this and it clicked. Good luck!

I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Okay, I'm finally getting this, and here's a list of the various things I was doing wrong on my off-side:

My hands kept wanting to move up/down the same as they would on my good side. That is, when the poi collided I would try to bring my left hand up, even though it was swinging down. This is the first thing I caught.Then I found my planes were too straight. If I could get them off angle by about 20-30 degrees my success rate improved.I had a tendency to speed up my left hand, so they were often at not quite 180 degrees out of phase by the time they hit each other. Focusing on that as well seemed to help.
I still don't have the near 100% success rate that I have on my good side, but I've definitely been seeing some marked improvements. Go me. Thanks for the tips!