Forums > Help! > Cleaning up after burning fire

Login/Join to Participate

MangopeopleGOLD Member
8 posts

Posted:
My partner and I had our first burn a couple of nights ago.
Before doing so we watched Malcolm and Pele's safety DVD at least 3 times and have all the necessary safety kit. We also took our flatmates with us as extra safety bods, and also because they have for some months now had to put up with dodging staffs and poi because we practice inside. laugh3 Happily all went well smile

But I have a couple of questions about cleaning up. We used kerosene and the blotching method on the DVD using an old towel to remove the excess fuel and a damp towel to put them out - is it ok to put these in the washing machine? Stupid question I know but I don't want to risk making the washing machine smell as it will not be a good look if we all then have to go to work with clothes smelling of kero laugh3

My 2nd qu is how can we clean the tin that we used to fuel the wicks in?

Thanks!

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
i don't think we've ever cleaned our putting out towels.. they air, dry, the fuel evaporates and we use them again...

Re-use the tin over and over - no need to clean grin

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
If you think they are getting really nasty, then wash them alone, and then run the cycle with nothing in it but warm water and some soap. if you want, you can just use a hose and some soap rather than dirtying your machine. They dont need to be sterile to absorb fuel. Also search the forums, when you get more experienced you'll see a spin off bucket is a much better way to collect fuel. As for the tin, add some neat stickers and make it your bad ass fire saftey tin.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Or you can safely rinse any excess fuel out of your towels using soap and warm water in the sink, then it's easy to rinse your sink out and no risk of fuel in your machine. You can always do the same with your tin if you want, but I suggest usiing different sponge / cloth to what you use for cleaning your eating utensils wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

MangopeopleGOLD Member
8 posts

Posted:
thanks all, really helpful.

I don't think that blotching method is going to work for us long term, and spinning the excess off isn't something that we want to do (we support a clean green NZ and are mainly intending to spin on beaches and parks, because we don't have a backyard, just 2 nice wooden decks smile )

I've seen threads that refer to using a spin off bucket or spin off can but if I search I can't find a thread that explains exactly what they are or how to make them. Does anyone know of such a thread. I know there must be plenty on here somewhere... smile

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
It is basically a tin on a rope that you can hold the poi in while spinning off. It will then catch all the fuel that would normally just get spattered around the landscape.

So you hold the poi and it and spin them together. smile

Hope that that helps.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Basically another poi with a slightly longer string and a can on the end. and you spin them together. can be done with a can, plastic bottle on string... endless possibilities.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

OuchStaffBRONZE Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
how about with staff, do you just put a bottle over the head and give it a spin or do you make more sweeping moves?

Ouch o.O

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
With Staff you can do 1 of 2 things or both the following (1 of which can be done with poi as well) You can get a pair of rubber gloves and wring the wicks to get out the excess. and / or you can do a move called a burn off. A burn off is when you spin the staff along it's long axis quickly at the start once it has been lit. the excess fuel sprays out due to the rotational force and the fire on the already lit wicks causes these tiny excess droplets to catch fire and makes a large expplosion of fire which is visually impressive but you do still get some fuel spray. The faster the rotation of the staff the more fuel will be expelled and the bigger the burst of fire (make sure yuo are not near anything flammable including your hair the first time you do this I also suggest doing it above your head so less fire comes near you. A staff is not as easy to shake off.

wink

OuchStaffBRONZE Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
thanks, I saw it on youtube a couple of times it's very inpressive indeed.

anyways now off to check out my new toys

(fibre staff and home made poi)

Ouch o.O

MangopeopleGOLD Member
8 posts

Posted:
Cheers guys, gonna make me some fire buckets at the weekend smile

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Learn the staff burn off. Not only is it useful, its very impressive. Poi burn offs sometimes mess up your poi. Dragging them on the ground makes them fray.

Don't mind me, just passing through.