Jeff CBRONZE Member
Total nerd.
22 posts

Posted:
Hey all I just started spinning this august and I think ive learned enough moves to start stitching them together (about 35 or so). Nothing too crazy, but some of the stuff at least looks cool. I was wondering if any of you have tips for transitioning between moves, especially when youre switching from same direction to opposite direction (chase to butterfly?). I just really get into one move and sort of blank out on where i should go from there. any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
-Jeff

Convert to polar!

philhewsBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
The simplest way I know for changing direction of the poi is to either wrap them, wrist is easy ( spin your right poi into your left wrist such that it wraps round about 3/4 a turn and bounces back in the other direction), or by stalling one poi.

Stalls are more versatile as they allow you to change the plane of the poi as well because the head stops and can be subsequently led in whichever direction you wish.

When it comes to linking moves that don't require direction changes there are simple ones such as linking forwards and backwards weave with different turns and also with a windmill which makes a fountain.

Another quite nice way is to play around and see how the poi spin if you move your arms out of the move and if you move your body around. It will almost certainly result in being hit a few times, but you also see spaces that open up to lead into other moves.

HTH

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
You can change planes while wrapping as well. Just not as easy.

I had a nice reply typed up, but then the varsity's network flaked out, so here goes a rough rendition:

You can do it in one of three ways really (would love to hear about others):
turn around
wrap
stall.

Turning will link stuff like reverse and forward weaves. Wraps or stalls will link anything. If you need to change the direction of one poi to move into something, try wrapping or stalling it. Under wraps (see what I did there?) I also include stuff like kicking the poi head into the opposite direction.

A good drill (I think it was Bluecat's idea, but I read about it ages ago) was to randomly list about 10 moves and just go through them in order, finding how to link them.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Jeff CBRONZE Member
Total nerd.
22 posts

Posted:
lol I see what you did there aston.

All good ideas guys, thanks for the posts. Also if anyone could direct me to some good video tutorials on the subject, that would be great. (Ive already seen the three transition tutorials Derek made) Im having some difficulty finding more on youtube for some reason.

-Jeff

Convert to polar!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
tongue2 No, really:
Quote:Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:53:28 +0200
At about 9:45 this morning, Rhodes lost access to the Internet for reasons as yet unknown. Users will likely experience the outages as an ERR_DNS_FAIL or ERR_CONNECT_FAIL error when trying to access websites hosted off campus.

We have reported the problem to our service providers, and are awaiting feedback.

Not really sure about any links though, sorry. Not really bothered looking. One of the best ways is just to play around. Or just watch other people do so. smile

Jeff CBRONZE Member
Total nerd.
22 posts

Posted:
Wow all of Rhodes went offline? thats one heck of a problem there.

Convert to polar!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
To clarify, that is Rhodes University in South Africa. tongue2

How go the transitions?

Jeff CBRONZE Member
Total nerd.
22 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonTo clarify, that is Rhodes University in South Africa. tongue2

How go the transitions?

Ah i see lol.

Theyre going pretty good. Ive been working on making lists of moves and stringing them together like you said, and thats going pretty well. I'm also working on waist wraps which I (at least) consider to be a different category of motion than those Ive worked on before, so I think once I get that down, a whole new group of moves (and therefore a whole new set of potential transitions) will open up for me.

I think once I get a better handle on different methods of transitioning I might make a video tutorial for HoP on basic transitions, since we dont really have anything on transitions basics/theory (like transitioning between same direction/opposite direction in various ways mostly)

Does anyone think that a video like that would be helpful?

Convert to polar!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
If you think it so, then yes.

Most people seem to stumble across them at some point in the end though. Not really sure.