DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Erm, I wanna use a golf glove for playing with Gilligans. They're spose to be made of leather and are thin and confortable. In theory I think it could work but I have this horrible fear of it metling on my hand and stuff.

They are real leather aren't they? I'd imagine the heat may be a problem but I'd think there'd be enough time to do what I wanna do. Any thoughts? I know Dom suggested a kevlar juggling glove but I'm away for the w/e and don't have time to wait for one to arrive....

Thanky...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
as long as the gloves arnt soaked in fuel i dont think u will have a problem, think how hard it is to set cold stuff on fire when u try to. as long as u dont hold it forever u should be fine. leather doesnt melt so u dont have any worries there. however if they are not and are synthetic then u will be in for a world of trouble, have a bucket of water handy so u can dunk it straight away if something goes wrong and ull be fine.

if i was u i would wait for kevlar gloves. or just get some leather gloves from ur hardware store if u arent sure if the gloves are leather or not, surely they say on the lable?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i'm using a heavy duty gardening glove right now (leather) and can catch hot poi heads with no problems (yet ).

here is a picture of the wonderful tony touch using such equipment:

Non-Https Image Link

nyc suggested lightweight welding gloves which made a lot of sense.

golf glove seems like a good bet if you're not catching but remember with wind, your forearm might need some protection too...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
cole, that's a great poi smile you got there dude! it kinda reminds me that i don't smile nearly enough when i twirl!
the gloves are sweet too!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Leather welding gloves. I got mine for about $10. I can hold a lit poi indefinitely.

They also have like $200 versions so be careful when shopping.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Bah, be hardcore like Glass and catch em bare handed as featured in Spinning in Paris 3 & 4

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
also gloves that are worn while working with smelting would work for that, even for dumping fuel on your hands or whatever. they are silvery metal fabric coated and you really can freak out with them.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Erm, did Glass actually catch that bear handed though?

Glass...anyone??

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
no.

he caught it bare handed.

ive seen quite a few people do it.

kevlar gloves are good but welding gloves are better.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
So to stop you being the last person to post in every forum and so I don't burn myself tonight....
what you're saying is:

1) No he didn't catch it bare handed then

...and...

2) He caught it bare handed

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
no. you put Bear handed.

i said bare handed..

thats why im sad and stay indoors all day.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
no jon, that a direct result of you being sad and staying indoors all day, not the other way round...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
whatever....my head hurts too much to even bother arguing.

****!

****!

ARGH!

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Finally a subject i know some more about than most people here!.

If your looking for flexability with the glove what you kneed is linesmen gloves (made of leather ) and what you can do is line the glove with heat resistant matericals. to help.

But yeah you can always go with welder glove's if you want. After all there cheap and easy to get .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

6,978 posts

Posted:
puke dude! what a coincidence! it was my new years resolution for me to be cheap and easy to get!

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
That's funny cause arsn and i where told that one of us was easy and the other was cheap.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

6,978 posts

Posted:
heh heh reminds me of that scene in Full Metal Jacket. "hey soldier boy!..."

gunlocker1stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hi all...

I started firespinning a few months ago and have decided on doing something else as well. Ive decided to "fire fight", i suppose. I want to make a two layer glove one size for my hands underneath(fire/heat retardant) and then a size up glove that is made of kevlar to act as wick, which will naturally get set on fire. ive found evidence of fire retardant gloves (although nowhere that i can seem to get them locally, and i live in cornwall, england) but im wondering if kevlar gloves would act as wick and accept parrafin to burn?

any ideas?

thx

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
nice 6yr bump

ubbidea hands on fire help

I have fire retardant gloves, made from some kevlar mesh for juggling fire balls... but they do get awfully hot (that or I'm just too sensitive)...

juggling fire balls indicates that you throw and catch and throw...
nothing nearly as in: soak in kerosene, light on fire... nfsw...

what I COULD think of would be those Kevlar gloves, under them THICK(!) leather gloves and under those another set of kevlar gloves (or reverse order) so that the leather acts as a membrane to prevent kero from seeping through and heat getting to your hands...

Without reading much into the thread, I would advise to get in touch with the SFX guys and pyrotechnicians... go for the pro's if you like to continue juggling the day after wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

CyricxGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
Leather gloves wouldn't work.

I use aviator gloves for when I spin double nunchucks. Because the wicks on my chucks are huge.

Even with the gloves if my hands stay too close to the flame for too long, the gloves get really hot. Worst part about it... they don't diffuse heat. The only way to lose that heat is to take the gloves off!

What your suggesting, even with very thick leather gloves, you'd have only seconds before you would have to take them off. frown

With aviator gloves I have about a 2-3 second window before the gloves get really hot. Sometimes I'll smother out the chuck ends with the gloves which takes about 2-3 seconds and then I have to take off the gloves because of how hot they get, otherwise I'll get heat burns.

US Performer liability insurance run by performers. Why pay more then you have to?

WeAreSafe.org

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
exactly that... you merely protect yourself from the fire (and fuel) but not from the heat...

best is to contact the guys from the SFX department... their techniques are much more elaborate (and the equipment quite expensive) - but even them are putting out the flames after a few seconds. And they know what they are doing.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

gunlocker1stranger
2 posts

Posted:
where is this sfx depatrment?

OuchStaffBRONZE Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
sfx stands for special effects

I think he means you should check out the nearest special effects department/group/company

Ouch o.O