OuchStaffBRONZE Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
Hey I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with the Fyrefli Panther aka the fibre glass staff. because I was going to buy the concentrate 3 part firestaff from hop but I'm a bit short on money at the moment so I was wondering how good the Fyrefli staff is. seeing as the staff is cheaper and the UK is nearer then new sealand XD

anyways thanks in advance Ouch

Ouch o.O

OuchStaffBRONZE Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
bump
doesn't anyone have experience with fyrefli except the juggling balls?

Ouch o.O

OuchStaffBRONZE Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
pom pom pom

still need to know if fyrefly staffs are good staffs to start out with. seeing as i'm on a rather tight budget xD

Ouch o.O

Charlie FoxPLATINUM Member
Burinating the village like Trogdor
156 posts

Posted:
I've not used the staff in question, but i do have experience with carbonfibre/fibreglass staves.

The way they have made theirs appears to be very good, and the fact they are still for sale with few (if any) changes to the general design for several years suggest they do work fine.

The main difference you will feel is there is some flex in the shaft, more so than a metal one. Once you get used to this you may find it creates more possibilities, and also is good for super high throws due to the energy they store as you throw being discharged up and creating a little more thrust, not unlike the first and second series of the concentrate 3 piece which had a fibreglass centre section.

They should never bend permanently as the flex allows them to take the knocks and stay straight.

On the ones i have created myself i was able to put each end of the staff on a fuel drum and stand in the middle without causing any damage to them, and that's when i weighed 90kg wink

Like any good fire equipment manufacturer I'm sure if you contacted them directly with any concerns you may have and they could help you directly, best to hear it from the horses mouth eh?

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!
- Anon (I think)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
if you have flex in the stick I don't suggest anything longer than 150cm I've used the fibre contacts from Firetoys and the 140cm is great, as is 150cm but the 160 whilst so easy to matrix just has too much flex in it. the weight of the fully fueled wicks made rolling moves cumbersome as it pulled the ends down and the roll didn't feel smooth enough.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

OuchStaffBRONZE Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
thanks for the advice.

I now practice with a 23 ish mm diametre 167 ish long wooden practice staff so I'm a bit used to a bit of flex in the staff.

I was wondering if there was any diffrence between the firetoys and fyrefli fibre staves staves except the prices

(I was first thinking of buying a concentrate 3 part staff from this place but the shipping price is a bit of a bitch xD)

Ouch o.O

156 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: OuchStaff
(I was first thinking of buying a concentrate 3 part staff from this place but the shipping price is a bit of a bitch xD)

The freight for the conc. shouldn't be much more than shipping a set of Poi from NZ as int. freight doesnt start getting 'very' expensive till you break the 1m long barrier.

The biggest difference when using a new concentrate is the centre weight bias, it makes them a bid odd to use in general, and unless you bulk out the ends with weights or extra wick and add a decent grip over what they come with, they are not, in my opinion, a very good staff for contact.

What they are though is a very well made, easy to transport and practically unbendable or breakable fire staff.

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

- Anon (I think)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I would suggest NOT getting a 3 peice or even a 2 peice, I have always found them to be less than straight which makes rolling moves much harder as the stick wobbles. Even the best collapsable will vary from straight and the straighter the better, it makes it look much smoother.

If your taking it seriously get a good 1 peice, they are a pain to transport and shipping may be a bit more but you'll be happier with the product. better to spend a little more, than get one and not like it so much you need to get another.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

OuchStaffBRONZE Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
what about them telescopic staffs of fyrefli do they seem any good or should i just leave em alone tongue2

it seems a pretty nice system but I'm afraid of them getting loose or very rattle-y

Ouch o.O

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Honestly I would always go for a solid 1 peice. Any joint is prone to wear and tear as the stuff shakes and rattles and bumps and the more it's used the weaker it will get. it may still be perfectly safe to use, but any permanent bend makes a staff such a pain. I always replace once bent, because things like steves and angel rolls just don't feel smooth anymore. however if you're not planning to do contact it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

the sectioned and telescopic staffs are only a choice if you have NO way of carrying around a big proper stick, I just got a staff bag problem solved. I can't see the pluses other than transport for a collapsable stick or maybe price but a 1 peice should be cheaper as it has less engineering to raise the cost.

156 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: RellizateSorry as this is very off topic, but Charlie Fox; I thought your avatar was of someone (you) doing a burn off on a tiny staff between your finger and thumb hehe. grin

I get that a lot wink

- A.A. Milne

- Anon (I think)

OuchStaffBRONZE Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
to me it looks like somone is on fire xD

Ouch o.O