Junefiresticksstranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone, I'm new here; and just got back inside from a three session burn.

I'm not technically a poi artist; however I do play a lot with contact equipment. Fire nunchaku's mainly.

I love putting on a show for myself, it's addicting to watch the light and I often burn through out the week.

My concern is, on broke days I'll dip my ' Ghetto Shredded Cotton towel ' wick's in Charcoal fluid. They burn bright and clean while lit. Once they die down OMG do they put out a lot of smoke, I mean A crazy amount. I'm basically producing a massive smoke cloud around myself within seconds of realizing that my fuel & cloth has burned out.

I'm a bit concerned about the adverse effects of this.. I've used Lantern oil before and that seems to be the perfect fuel for my burns.. but like I said on poor days I juice up with Charcoal fluid... we have it stock piled in the shed.

Basically in a retarded nut shell, I'm just concerned if I'm going to die like over night from the massive amounts of smoke I've just inhaled smile

Call me paranoid, but I'm just being cautious.. it was a lot of smoke..

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
It's not good for you, but it's all about dosage. As long as you give yourself time to recover from each massive inhalation it theoretically shouldn't do too much damage, however the problem is not everyone knows how much this "time" is. Once a week with that much, or by the sound of it, smoke could deal minor amounts of damage, monthly barely noticeable but daily it could be adverse in a shorter term.

Hope that helped.

This statement is false...?

Junefiresticksstranger
2 posts

Posted:
Totally helped , thank you very much Tide.

Happy burning

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
im not sure if tide is talking short term or long term, at the time of spinning it obviously if its too dense for too long you will pass out, not good. long term i think everyone knows smoke inhalation is bad, just think cigarette smoking and you know carinogenic fumes are an identified factor in the growth of various types of cancer, what is contained in this particular "charcoal fluid" i dont know, but likelihood is the more smoke the worse it is for you. but then when playing with fire.. expect...

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
You're right, I was very biased towards short term however I did still have long term in mind - your body DOES clear out impurities over time, but cannot necessarily recover from acute damage.

And yeah, with playing with fire you do expect to get some sort of side effect.

Honestly, I don't count cancer that highly unless it's with a carcinogen that's been known to be carcinogenic for at least 10 years. Why? Because nowadays every second substance gives you cancer.

Although you are right Mr Majestik, I did make a minor mistake in going too far for the short term - short bursts can be equal or more damaging over the long term than small, distributed exposures. However, that's a can, not will. As I did say, it's about dosage.

This statement is false...?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
perhaps it was an error of judgement to only specify cancer, inhalation of any kind of smoke fumes will damage respiratory tissue. cancer is just a long term possibility, and obviously like smoking the more you are inhaling those fumes the greater the likelihood of it occuring.

the real issue Junefirsticks has asked about is this certain fuel/cotton blends effect when burnt and inhaled, which i think is safe to say that neither of us can give you a difinitive answer. perhaps you could read the actual chemical ingredients on whatever packaging it comes in and then tell us, or research it yourself?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
after a quick search came up with a wiki article; feel free to read through it but the gist of it is some charcoal fluids may be toxic... without knowing what specific chemicals are in yours its hard to say any more but i think its reasonable to say if its cheap its probably not a good thing to be inhaling.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i gotta add that most of the smoke June is talking about is prolly coming from burning cotton and not so much the fuels smoke. When you use cotton for wicks it has a tendency to start burning (continue smoldering) after the fuel is gone.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!