Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > straightjacket butterfly crossers?

Login/Join to Participate

JacobsonBRONZE Member
raver
3 posts

Posted:
I can almost get into a straight jacket from a butterfly crosser, but i'm not sure if it's really possible.
this is really frustrating me so i created an account just to ask can anyone do this?
or has anyone seen this before?

all you've learned is in fact just learned and not necessarily the truth.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I feel it should be possible. Not really played with it (or straight jackets in general) though, so your milage may vary.

Welcome to the forum. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

firechild930GOLD Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
yea this combo is very possible
when youre in the butterfly crosser you just bounce one poi
(preferrably into whichever direction, counterclockwise or clockwise, you are most comfortable with) then do an inversion in wheelplane and turn into wallplane while your arms are still crossed from the inversion

and i must warn you the turn is a very quick movement

JacobsonBRONZE Member
raver
3 posts

Posted:
thanks flatland i will work with that.
it's not quite how i was trying to do it i was doing an inverted thread the needle and trying to go into crossers while my arms were crossed which i think is close to what you are saying but i will work on both starting from a normal butterfly crosser and the way i was trying

JacobsonBRONZE Member
raver
3 posts

Posted:
and thank you for the welcome.
i have been reading the forums for sometime but this is the first time i have had a real question about something. i think signing up was a very good move.

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Bfly straightjacket is possible.

Could you disambiguate what you mean by an inverted TTN? Peoples concepts of inversion vary quite a bit, and it seems it is still most well understood in split-time chase. So I'm curious how we are all thinking of inverted TTN.

smile

+Alien Jon

ExuroThe Prodigy
82 posts

Posted:
bfly straightjacket is fun, but not very practical.
The only people who seem to enjoy it are tech spinners.
i remember an epiphany i had, where i realized that since the inversion (barrel roll) is the entrance into a straightjacket,
therefore, the butterfly inversion must be the entrance into the butterfly straightjacket. and it was.

I learned the bfly inversion via Matt Terrys video here

frustrating at first but worth the effort.

The bfly inversion is split time,
but you are most likely going for a same time bfly sj,
so you'll need to bounce your body up and down to match up your timing when you lock your arms.

Jacobson,
if you would like a video description,
i would gladly shoot a short clip for you.

You play with fire,
You're going to get burned.

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Some points for further development:
A split-time butterfly crosser is possible, but will either feel asymmetrical as a 2-beat, or you can make it a 3 beat, ie each poi repeats: behind-the-opposite-shoulder > front > front > ...

Since a straight jacket is a crosser with a 1st-degree inversion in the arms, the same should apply to split-time bfly SJs.

The above brings up the interesting and oft overlooked point that when you change a pattern from split-time to same-time, or vice versa you often add or subtract a beat.

By this I mean you keep the sequence of positional symmetries that makes up the pattern the same, in all respects but the in-plane phase of the poi relative to one another (we usually call that split-time or same-time... but there are other dimensions/attributes that we can change the timing of independent of plane-phase).

Some examples of this are:

change a 3-beat weave to same-time and it actually takes 4 beats for the nearest analogue.

People do a multi-beat TTN in split-time as 3 beats, but in same-time the analogue is 4 beats.

By using the 3-beat split-time TTN as a base and adding a bfly barrel-roll on both the left and right pass, you get a repeatable 5-beat pattern. This is topologically analogues to a 3-beat weave base that you add barrel-rolls to on each pass: also 5-beats, and the sequence of inswings and which arm is poi-head led and which arm is handle led during each barrel-roll pass is all the same.

Soooo, try expereimenting with same-time 4-beat weaves (3-beat split analogue), and adding same-time barrel-rolls to them: 6-beat pattern
Now try it in bfly from a 4-beat TTN! totally possible. Feel the bounce. This of course can get you right into a same-time bfly SJ.

Something else to be aware of:

split-time bfly has horizontal mirror symmetry, it bounces from side to side, You keep your hands side by side, and in a split-time bfly barrel-roll it travels from side to side: all quite horizontal.

Same-time bfly has vertical mirror symmetry, it bounces up and down, you stack one hand on top of the other, and in a split-time bfly barrel-roll it bounces up and down: all quite vertical. Feel the bounce and wait for the extra half rotation!

+Alien Jon

GilbertBGOLD Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
try a waist wrap but after moving the right hand to the left, keep the left hand to the right and let the poi go from front to back similar to a crosser but both are behind ur back at ur waist. fairly simple if ur skinney

juliemack169Member
4 posts

Posted:
the straight jacket is just used for fun, and to entertain people, you cant use this in normal life, anyways you can also use waist jackets for this purpose. It just my suggestion, I also saw many different straight jackets on Mixxmix store also shown in my signature, in future if you need this jacket must check there.