Forums > Social Discussion > Cirque in Space - discuss :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
So then...

It appears that the billionaire founder of Cirque is travelling into space, at the cost of $35m, to promote the issue of Water for all...

As the writer of this Guardian article suggests... possibly money better spent elsewhere?

https://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2009/sep/11/lalibert-liberty-water-space

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1252685046)

Getting to the other side smile

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
... i dont get that connection...

*im going to spend millions of dollars to take myself to space to promote water for all, i realise the millions would be better spentactually DOING SOMETHING, but space is apparently a pretty awesome holiday destination...*

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

OuchStaffBRONZE Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
I think he just wants to go to space but needs an exuse to not feel bad about wasting loads of money :3

Ouch o.O

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
^_^ my thoughts exactly... :o|

sad sad ego trip of a guy who apparently created something beautiful like CdS... makes me understand why people dislike working for it...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mr Majestik... i dont get that connection...

*im going to spend millions of dollars to take myself to space to promote water for all, i realise the millions would be better spentactually DOING SOMETHING, but space is apparently a pretty awesome holiday destination...*

nicely put!

I understand his concept and like what he is trying to do. It just kinda seems like he is too far removed from everyone else... or he just sounds pretentious.
I think its rich of him (haha pun) to claim that it is going to be the first art from space to earth. Who is he to judge what is art? I mean ... if he tells me that cirque du solei shows have a story line I am not going to trust his opinion on art.

although it could all ba a bit of tall poppy syndrome

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
who cares! He gets to go to space! Lucky git!

If I was a billionaire, I'd go to space too, and I'd probably make some dumb excuse about it. More importantly, that's 35million back in the economy, instead of being the most useless form of money: Wealth.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
If you're gonna go into space, might as well do it raising some awareness for a goo cause at the same time.

Geez guys, jealous much? tongue2

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
definitely jealous blush

I initially read another article (that i now can't find) about this that made him sound much more pretentious than the guardian article did.
and was a bit drunk when i ranted last night.

wow i feel like a cynic

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think it would just be better if he just admitted that he's going into space because he's got offensive amounts of money to throw around.

Putting up some fake reason for it just pisses people off (as seen in this thread!)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yea - wonder what the carbon footprint is on this one wink

not sure about "jealousy" only not keen on getting sold pyrite for gold wink

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
These 'but you could do better' arguments all essentially fall into the same category. The time you spent posting in a superfluous thread on this dark little corner of the internet could've been better spent raising money for charity or helping little old ladies across the street, how despicable of you! tongue2 The fact that he's generating this much media coverage and provoking debate means he manifestly has raised awareness of his cause du jour. Success all round and he gets to go to space into the bargain. It may not be the 'best' way of doing things, but there is no best way of doing things anyway. That, as with perfection, is a myth.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: DaG
I initially read another article (that i now can't find) about this that made him sound much more pretentious than the guardian article did.
and was a bit drunk when i ranted last night.

wow i feel like a cynic

You think that's bad, I wrote a post on this topic and once the swearbot got through with it, there wasn't an whole lot of text left. grin

I had a look through the One Drop foundations website and pretentious is the only word i can use to describe this guy. So...he's planning on donating $100 million of his own money to this project..good on him for that but..the catch is that donation is going to be made over a 25 year period. I figure i could donate the same 105 of my net worth today, amortised over 25 years without it having a serious affect on my lifestyle. If my financial situation should happen to change, then of course i reserve the right to "review" my commitment and make changes accordingly.

So...what has Mr' billionaire spaceman actually done so far? First we have this touring project, or at lest said to be touring soon that's designed to teach us all to use less water. Wow..guess what spaceman, they teach that to children in elementary school. We all know about putting bricks in our toilet tanks and "if it's brown, flush it down, if it's yellow, let it mellow", so they're not really delivering any new information there.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how much water it takes to wash down Mr. spaceman's megayacht.

Now..what do we have on the ground? A "completed project in Nicaragua which tells..get this...people living in water impoverished areas that they should "use less water" ...oh yay, any more flashes of brilliant, Captain obvious? Then we have the typical teaching farming techniques yada yada, that missionaries ( NGOs) have been doing for decades. I figure you could pull off what mister $100 million dollar donation did with ONE dedicated church parish . There's one project slated for Honduras, and "several more" slated for Asia and Africa. When? who knows but it appears that circus dude would rather focus his efforts on justifying his "space tourism" as some sort of altruistic endeavour when anyone with even the most remote vestiges of a brain can plainly see that the $35 million he's blowing on this little jaunt is far, far, better off spent actually implementing these projects that are being *talked about*

Come on flyboy, less talk more action. Donate that $100 million, in cash to a deserving outfit like Habitat for Humanity so they can actually put the money to good use improving peoples lives, forget about your "generating awareness through education" campaign, we know already.

This $35 million for a space holiday...It isn't coming out of that $100 million you pledged is it?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
well said stout!

Originally Posted By: Mr_JoeThese 'but you could do better' arguments all essentially fall into the same category. The time you spent posting in a superfluous thread on this dark little corner of the internet could've been better spent raising money for charity or helping little old ladies across the street, how despicable of you! tongue2

yes, but we're not claiming to be raising awareness for important issues while posting here... we're posting here for ourselves because we enjoy it.

Originally Posted By: mr_joeThe fact that he's generating this much media coverage and provoking debate means he manifestly has raised awareness of his cause du jour. Success all round and he gets to go to space into the bargain.

well no, because of everyone thats posted so far, only one actually bothered to look at what the charity he is 'supporting' actually intends to do, the majority are just calling him what he is, a pretentious wanker whose trying to excuse spending $35 million dollars on himself as a charitble cause. i bet he'll claim the 35 on tax deductable donations too.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
What is his flight actually scheduled to do? I assume the rocket will be carrying experiments, supplies possibly a staff exchange at the space station.

To be fair, it's HIS money. so what if he has loads. he doesn't have to spend a penny on worthy causes, he doesn't HAVE to raise awareness for anything. hell he could fly up there and say "yep I'm spending MY money on something for ME and Screw anyone else" and guess what - That's HIS right, he's worked hard to earn his money and worked clever too.

He could pay to have half a rainforest cut down to build a farm to feed the hungry would that make anyone happy? no I didn't think so. Yes spending that much on raising awareness may seem a little silly, but he's only human so maybe he made a mistake, maybe he thought saying he wanted to raise awareness could help, he's certainly acheived his goal by that very mistake. did any of the other space tourists have a more altruistic agenda? nope they just wanted to flash the cash. If he's donating that much money over 25 years why complain, just because it won't effect his lifestyle, doing it over a longer period is more sustainable so he could give MORE. You know what happens when you kill the goose, the gold dries up. How many people pledge 75% of their pay to good causes every month...
Be grateful he's doing anything, he doesn't have to. I personally wouldn't give a penny to help save people. I just don't think any of us deserve it. When one of us tries to help even in a roundabout not whole hearted way, people can't say "thank you" anymore. they seem only able to moan and bitch that it's just not good enough and that that person could do so much more. So could ALL of us. My faith in humankind is constantly battered by people complaining why others don't do more, when I'm pretty sure there is more that EVERYONE could do. The lack of gratitude that people have developed sadly dissappoints me.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I don't think it's about not being 'grateful' as such...

It's just interesting that he has chosen to use his extra-terrestial holiday as an opportunity to garner self-publicity.

Getting to the other side smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
laugh3

this so obviously is a scheme to deduct the costs from taxes - rotfl - amazing... YAY for "free markets" and the according legislation...

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Cheers Majestik

Mynci..yes it is his money and if he was just spending it on a holiday then we wouldn't have a thread for discussion. The point here is, as Clare states, he's using this as a platform to seek publicity and trying to market himself as being an altruistic good guy, trying to warm the cockles of our hearts, so to speak, and a little research into what he's been actually doing shows him up to be nothing more than a phony.

Really, given his humble beginnings, I feel he should know better than to try and market himself as some sort of fake "progressive" ( see the bits about promoting gender equality on the One Drop site ) who, when it comes right down to it, isn't doing much more that telling us how to live.

That's why I mentioned the yacht. I don't know if you've ever owned a yacht, but a large part of yacht ownership involves washing the thing down with the same clean water that he's telling us to use less of.

No, he doesn't HAVR to do anything, but he did put himself out there as being "one of the concerned" and his abject failure to walk the talk speaks much louder than his ridiculous messages from space are going to.

But hey...he's got some celebrities on board and a few photos with Bono just might convince us all to quit washing our cars for the greater good of humanity. wink

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mr Majestikwell said stout!

Originally Posted By: Mr_JoeThese 'but you could do better' arguments all essentially fall into the same category. The time you spent posting in a superfluous thread on this dark little corner of the internet could've been better spent raising money for charity or helping little old ladies across the street, how despicable of you! tongue2

yes, but we're not claiming to be raising awareness for important issues while posting here... we're posting here for ourselves because we enjoy it.

Surely he's going to space for fun, too? By extension of this surely you'd be thinking every runner that decides to earn sponsorship for a charity when, for example, running a marathon is a pretentious wanker because they'd enjoy running anyway? Let's not forget that he has already ploughed a huge amount of money into this charity and seems set to continue doing so. Why not use a high-profile event to get the name out there a little more?

EDIT: Also I don't think he's just claiming to be raising awareness. He's hit global news with it...
EDITED_BY: Mr_Joe (1252940235)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
But what if you have it wrong? what if he is trying, but making mistakes? As far as I can see he IS one of the concerned he's more concerned than most people I know on a personal level. I don't know many people who have voiced out loud regarding water poverty. or given any money to their charities. He's done more than me. or proabably anyone complaining. so he bigs himself up a bit, do you know what that's human, I would too. The lead story here is a circus guy going into space not a benefactor of a charity trying to raise awareness, that's a bonus. Even if he is garnering self publicity that's the modern cost of high level charity. Yes the money could be better spent elsewhere, but the guy wants to go into space and who can blame him? the fact that he's got a positive message shouldn't be shot down or next time NO charity will gain when the next inevitable space tourist goes up. I can see it now - "I'm going up F*** the planet!" now that would be a more honest message wink

and regarding his yacht. yes it requires fresh water. but I'm pretty sure it's not moored somewhere where clean health water is an issue wink I doubt he has it moored in Nicaragua and sits there washing his boat waving at all the desperately thirsty whilst dribbling fresh water into the sea and laughing, it may not even be fit for human consumption if it's not come through drinking water pipes, boats need cleaning as do people, windows animals and many other things. Maybe we should ban water power and go back to coal if it's THAT important, and can't be used for anything except drinking. heavens forbid a person championing a water charity then USING water eek how dare he. surely then you can't have a fat person supporting a charity to feed the hungry? Quick get down to comic releif and tell Dawn French she can't host it this year because she's eaten so much food there's none left for africa laugh3

Wasting water would be using it for things that didn't need it. A dirty boat will rust it will also have barnacles and increased drag and keeping a boat in good condition reduces energy consuption it also maintains life span so boat is less likely to be scrapped / replaced meaning a longer life which is environmentally sound. there's a reason for cleaning boats they are less likely to sink and cause fuel spillage into the sea saving marine wildlife. Trust me I know a LOT about boats, I work in shipping and spent all weekend at the Boat show wink

I can't see his "Abject failure" has he raised awareness - yes
Has he pledged money to support a charity - yes
is he going into space - Yes

The "big up me" talk is the least I expect off a celebrity donating to charity, I've forgotten how Bono never reveals his name when he donates or any other celebrity come to think of it.

I still can't see what he's done wrong. Even if he deducts money for tax purposes the money is still going to charity. maybe it's more important to pay those taxes and bail the modern world out of the recession we've all spent our way into wink

To be fair (and honest) This isn't a subject close to my heart, but it does amaze me when anyone tries to do any good how many people complain or shoot them down. yes they may not be a fanatical supporter just someone doing the level they feel comfortable with but we humans have an ability to see nothing as good enough.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
EDIT: Also I don't think he's just claiming to be raising awareness. He's hit global news with it...

That's the whole point of the trip though, it's outlined in the article linked to in the OP

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Think you may have misread me a little. The claim to have raised awareness is not an empty one is what I was shooting at. Also, I'm pretty sure the whole point of the trip was to go into space, which is really cool.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Mynci, yes he could be making "mistakes", however I doubt that because there's a hundred million dollars in play here, and one would think he's at least know how to hire people who are competent.

OK, I'll buy he's one of the concerned, but more concerned with pushing his "good guy" image rather than making anybody's life any better. Were it not for this whole raising awareness thing then nobody would give a hoot about his planned trip, it's not like this is a new idea and IF there was a story printed about it, it would be buried back on page 28. Nope, flyboy wants the whole world to know he's spending $35 million on a flight and by claiming to raise awareness it's the only way he can get media coverage.

Let's hope this is the last egomaniac to go to space..for charity.

You see where I'm going with the yacht thing, don't you ? Rocketman wants to tell me/us, in the English speaking world that we should ALL use less water ( I don't expect many Spanish people in rural Honduras will be tuning in ) when he uses an obscene amount of water just to keep his boat shiny.

And that's just the boat, what do you figure he has one of those super deluxe showerheads in every bathroom of the estate(s) he no doubt owns. You know the ones, the ones that shoot water from the sides as well as the top, with an optional upshooting jet to blast your nether regions clean..the ones that take a tanker sized hot water tank to actually run. Oh..and then there's tending the grounds of the estate.

So, yes, he raised awareness, maybe, there's nothing new or revolutionary on his website ( like I said above, they teach this stuff to school children ) Yes, he's pledged money to a charity as well as bringing more experienced charities on board and asking for donations, and yes he's going into space, as a passenger, big whoop.

The point is...his actions don't even remotely approach his talk, as of now and if he was REALLY concerned about improving lives in developing countries he'd take that $35 million and spend it directly on projects designed to do just that.

But then he might not get the spotlight, just a mention on page 28.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mr_JoeThink you may have misread me a little. The claim to have raised awareness is not an empty one is what I was shooting at. Also, I'm pretty sure the whole point of the trip was to go into space, which is really cool.

I might have, but I'm calling his claim of raising awareness a smokescreen for the environmental impact of his little jaunt as well as calling it an attention seeking maneuver, and I'm calling him a hypocrite for trying to tell me to "tread lightly on the planet" while he himself has an environmental footprint the size of Godzilla.

So, yes the whole point is to go into space, just don't try to wrap it up in a "for the good of humanity" package unless the size of that package matches the cost.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Maybe he bought a carbon offset ticket?
grin

hug

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Hi Stout to be fair I'm playing devils advocate a little as I'm wont to do. but if he WASN'T going into space would the founder of CdS get ANY coverage for a charity he supports or leans towards? I doubt it like you say page 28 maybe.

I think we can all except that the going into space is his first concern. the fact that he's tried to raise awareness in my eyes is better than not. They may teach water conservation to school children but when i was a kid they didn't, I'm not saying I'm not aware but you'd be surprised just how many people in their twenties and thirties aren't, or didn't get this knowledge at school, other than the annual hosepipe ban being announced in the UK during terrible summer storms.

It's one thing teaching people, but you do have to keep reminding people who's lives don't revolve around philanthropism. they see something and forget they need a constant reminding. if his website is basic common knowledge then it's another place where people can find infomation. You have to judge his actions on the intellects of people way below yourself and probably the people you generally hang around with, there are a lot of idiots out there. there will come a time when there are so many little pieces of info out there that people can't avoid it and that's the only time they will act. like old style bulbs now being illegal to import to uk, only energy saving ones now.

yes it's a little ironic that he's talking about conserving water and has a big yacht. But a lot of celebs do, Bono has a yacht too and I bet he throws parties with lots of food and he's viewed as saintly almost. the irony is there for any celeb endorsement but they are needed for awareness so you can't win as without them the populouos wouldn't be interested so the news would be less likely to cover it.
hug

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hi Mynci, I'm aware that you're playing DA, but if it's coverage that space tourist is really looking for, he can easily afford to buy it. Publicity's cheap when your a billionaire ( not to be confused with the likes of Bono, whose a mere millionaire )

I'm guessing here, at heart, *most* people in the first world don't really care about water issues as we have enough of it to go around...usually. You may hear that we need to conserve, but until you get up one morning and turn on the tap to brush your teeth..and nothing happens, water as a resource is going to be taken for granted.

I hear you on the "little pieces of info" bit, and I agree, however I'm hesitant to take the general population is *not smart* tack because I've met very few people in my life who I'd consider properly stoopid ? well, there is the YouTube comments section.

IMO it's apathy and self interest that drive people with the big question "what's in it for me" being the one on most peoples minds.

I'm just more into idealists SHOWING me how they live their ideology rather than trying to tell me what to do. I usually retort to guys like rocketboy with sentiments like...if conserving water is such a good idea, then why aren't you doing it ?

If we harken back to the hippies and flying thread, we can did up the analogy of me buying myself a monster sized SUV then slapping a "save the planet" bumper sticker on it and labelling myself an environmentalist and claiming moral superiority because I'm spreading awareness.

The reality states that the planet would suffer in the long run due to my extra, luxurious use of fossil fuels and any benefits to society would be mere delusions on my part.

Delusions can be fun though.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
You should live near me if you don't think the general population is stupid, here they are generally less smart than a wet beer mat wink but I live in an area rife with crime and by the hospital so go figure.

To be fair though they are mostly either ignorant or mis-informed. the problem is the the way the media report, Water conservation isn't a media friendly issue at the moment with severe flooding every year in the UK and super wet summers. we get no coverage regarding water conservation the most we get is to turn your tap off when brushing your teeth and I saw that on sesame street when I was at school. the most interesting thing on the media in the UK is financial at the moment or after that Light bulbs being banned. The UK is more worried about increases in sea level than lack of water. they report we have TOO MUCH water.

It just appears the "Carbon footprint" issue is all the UK media seem to think we can think of at any one time, CO2 and oil and financial distress and dodgy politicians and Jordan. Water poverty just isn't a story the media here seem to care about so when it's mentioned by a circus guy going into space it's the only time it appears on UK news. for that alone it's worth it.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
hrrm - Stout, though it's NOT pc I'm tend more to lean towards George Carlin's opinion these days (STILL turning off the tap and likely to choose train over air in mid distance... yaddayadda).

Point being that (as you eloquently pointed out) I dislike ppl preaching water and drinking.... champagne... NOOO not merely "wine", but Moet... MOET CHANDON! in Nebuchadnezzar bottles... for everyday bruncheon. cool

People who go on trying to put their moralistic middle finger up my backside - which fortunately isn't working because it's stuck up all the way in their own ears - people like that don't touch me much...

The planet is fine! And there is so much water on this planet... actually we ourselves are a reflection of the planets composition... 70% of the surface of this planet is covered with ... water. And this body of H2O (far greater than we might be able to grasp) is in a hydrologic cycle... water is not just "vanishing" from the surface of this planet, going to disappear in oblivion.

least we need is a guy traveling to space, telling us to conserve water down here... I suggest they should leave him up there for a long long time, getting a good overview on the planet and the amounts of water that are covering this floating, spinning rock...

we don't have a water shortage down here... not even remotely. What we do have is a(nother) problem of "unfortunate distribution"... as.... the hair on a 60year old male representative of our species... it's growing everywhere BUT where it is supposed to... and it's growing long and strong... eek

what would be needed much more are guys who spend the 35m $ on fountains and water purification to make it available for those in desperate need - not on their fricking ego trips

this guy is like telling others to go on a diet whilst buying himself a big fat Mc-Menu with triple stacked supersized freedom fries! [/rant]

which is okay - no problem, but first pull that finger out of yer own nose bfore getting funny on me, dude wink

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MynciWater poverty just isn't a story the media here seem to care about so when it's mentioned by a circus guy going into space it's the only time it appears on UK news. for that alone it's worth it.

Fair enough, I can't say water issues get much play around here either but that's mainly doe to the same reasons you cite, we've got lots. I agree, it's *better than nothing* and makes up a part of the whole consume less viewpoint.

Originally Posted By: Fire Tomwe don't have a water shortage down here... not even remotely. What we do have is a(nother) problem of "unfortunate distribution"... as....

(snip)

what would be needed much more are guys who spend the 35m $ on fountains and water purification to make it available for those in desperate need - not on their fricking ego trips

Yes, my point exactly. Given that in the first world, water issues aren't crucial, making all that *everybody knows but isn't fussed about it* section of the One Drop Foundation's website rather superfluous as well as his planned spaceflight to raise our awareness about that issue I see little benefit to humanity as a whole. As you mentioned, What is the carbon footprint of this trip ? I don't know, but we could be looking at a scenario with actual negative benefits to the planet if we factor that in.

IMO, working on the distribution thing would be a far better use for the $35 million, but not quite as exciting for circus guy.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I didn’t really have an opinion on this until I started to see the comments here, and realised that Guy Laliberte needed to make a bold statement to start people, especially from the rich nations, taking water issues seriously. Because it seems apparent that people just don’t have any idea of the value of water, or that water is the most precious commodity on the planet. My opinion is based on what I see happening on a very dry continent, that is getting dryer. So I’m seeing the effects of global warming and water pollution earlier than people living in other parts of the world.

Originally Posted By: Fire TomThe planet is fine! And there is so much water on this planet... actually we ourselves are a reflection of the planets composition... 70% of the surface of this planet is covered with ... water. And this body of H2O (far greater than we might be able to grasp) is in a hydrologic cycle... water is not just "vanishing" from the surface of this planet, going to disappear in oblivion. ....

.. we don't have a water shortage down here... not even remotely. What we do have is a (nother) problem of "unfortunate distribution"... as.... the hair on a 60year old male representative of our species... it's growing everywhere BUT where it is supposed to... and it's growing long and strong

Fire Tom, I think Guy is probably talking about un-polluted, drinking quality water. You know, the stuff we used to get out of the tap, but now buy in bottles because the ground and fresh water is polluted with chemicals. And you wonder why people’s hair is falling out rolleyes

Originally Posted By: StoutYes, my point exactly. Given that in the first world, water issues aren't crucial, making all that *everybody knows but isn't fussed about it* section of the One Drop Foundation's website rather superfluous as well as his planned spaceflight to raise our awareness about that issue I see little benefit to humanity as a whole. As you mentioned, What is the carbon footprint of this trip ? I don't know, but we could be looking at a scenario with actual negative benefits to the planet if we factor that in.

IMO, working on the distribution thing would be a far better use for the $35 million, but not quite as exciting for circus guy.

Stout, am I missing something or are you seriously suggesting that water issues aren't crucial in the first world? Then good grief, it’s worth the $35 million just to dispel that misconception. I’d have to agree with his mission statement - “The purpose is to raise everyone’s awareness of water-related issues by drawing inspiration from the ONE DROP Foundation’s dream, “Water for all, all for water.”

Go Guy, it’s about time someone has the vision to stand up and take on the populace misconception that clean fresh water will always be available. Clean water will be the biggest issue to face human kind in the 21st Century.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: StoneAnd you wonder why people’s hair is falling out

I'm not (wondering) at all... but you don't seriously want to indicate that it's because of the quality of drinking water... ??? But certainly *one* reason why you can't drink from the tap anymore is now we know that the pipes are releasing toxins and because NOW we know that the fertilizer (used by farmers) finally reached ground water (something that "NATURE" has warned of already 25yrs ago - nobody was listening back then)...

Oz is getting dryer... sad and true fact... but do I remember correctly that the entire continent is completely surrounded by... water? (as almost any other btw)

It is at least as much a matter of "you and me turning off the tap" (which I assume we both do) - as it is for farmers growing water intense crops on their fields (like growing cotton and raising cattle)... I mean - you guys seriously wonder where your juice is going to?

It is at least as much an issue of water purification (as you correctly mentioned) and it is even much more an issue of curbing industries in their use and pollution of water.

Cause: we wouldn't have to fix it, if we wouldn't (allow to) break it in the first place... wink

Therefore this "visionary" going up into space is doing nothing more than trying to dumbnuckle "us"... because - trust me - farmers and politicians do well know about the problem and where the root causes are.

He should rather attach a banner to that spacecraft saying: "Put a clamp on your government and industrial lobbyists."

Page: