Forums > Technical Discussion > How to Extinguish Fire Fans?

Login/Join to Participate

stellabellaGOLD Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting with my first fire fans and was wondering apart from the "damp towel" method of putting out the flame, is there a more graceful way of extinguishing fire fans while on stage? I would really like to do an act where as the music fades, i can put out the fire while on stage, but don't want to jump on my hands and knees and start patting with a towel! blush

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I will be indoors and was wondering will fire actually flick off from the fans and into the audience?! (It may be a dumb question but I really have no idea!)

Thanks all! laugh3

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
If you have practiced to proficiency, and blot the excess fuel from your wicks, the fire shouldn't flick off dangerously. As for putting out the wicks - you can wait until the fire goes very low and then rapidly flick them out, or you can hand them off to your helper (you can work this into the choreography - you can even swap for a new prop) to extinguish out of the audience's view.

I've never used fans, so I can't comment on methods specific to them!

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Ummm... how much experience have you had with the fire fans?

To the last question if you don't know the answer to that one you probably shouldn't be doing a fire show.

It comes down to fuel choice, really, there are some fuels that will actually throw a flame out from the wicks, but quite a lot don't.

If its indoors you'll want a fuel that is for the most part non-smoky. Which fuel to use and what its called where you are is all dependent on where you are, everythings called different things wherever you go, have a poke around the fuel threads and try work out whats available near you and which is most appropriate.

You can swing them out, but you might not be able to time it precisely until you've had a lot more experience with controlling the burn. This can do damage to your wicks if you do this a lot because the kevlar does begin to burn... Depending on the size of the wicks it may be possible to blow them out when they get low... but this is quite gear dependant, I've seen some fat wicks you wouldnt have a huge amount of luck blowing out...

hug

ThelemicPotterSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
Get a fiberglass or asbestos blanket, lay them on top of it and fold the planket over the fire and smother. Unlike a wet towel, this won't mess up your wicks. I use rather heavy fans and often find my self getting tired before the fuel is used up.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
a damp towel wont mess up yer wicks. Asbestos will mess up yer lungs. Get a duvetyne

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

DrexFactorGOLD Member
Defeats the purpose
73 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: stellabellaHi Everyone,

I'm starting with my first fire fans and was wondering apart from the "damp towel" method of putting out the flame, is there a more graceful way of extinguishing fire fans while on stage? I would really like to do an act where as the music fades, i can put out the fire while on stage, but don't want to jump on my hands and knees and start patting with a towel! blush

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I will be indoors and was wondering will fire actually flick off from the fans and into the audience?! (It may be a dumb question but I really have no idea!)

Thanks all! laugh3

Well for starters you should have a dedicated safety spotter waiting in the wings with either a damp towel or a duvetyne rather than you putting yourself out. It eliminates the problem of you interrupting your performance to put out your tool and makes your performances 110% safer.

If you've got a couple friends who think your fire performances are cool, but think that they could never spin themselves, ask them to take on this role so they can be part of the show one night and let them know how important they are to it by keeping you from setting yourself or your audience on fire. It takes all of five minutes to train someone to be a competent safety.

Peace,
Drex