Forums > Social Chat > Object Manipulation Creation Myths

Login/Join to Participate

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
From a thread that went horribly off-topic elsewhere....

"... now I'm trying to work out if we can get a myth cycle..

I think the Juggling god made the world... he dropped several balls into the primordial water. That became land, he threw several too high, they became the stars, then in frustration he threw his last two balls at the sky, they got stuck and became the sun and moon."

"Juggling is definitly pure. I like it so far. I'm thinking that the juggling god gave each of the other flow dieties their props. What do you think, or that he created his children and told them to go forth and find ther own flow."

"I think the Juggling god should start practising/inventing a reeaally hard trick with eggs. Anyone got a suggestion?"

"Well how about the juggling god Didn't get his satisfaction from juggling balls anymore, so he decided to juggle eggs, but he dropped them and they broke, hatching the entire pantheon from these eggs.

Then off course he tried to kill his children, because he wanted to be the only god, but the kids worked together to fend off the juggling god, taking his flow-toys away and beating him at his own game. Now the juggling god is banished to the far out reaches of the universe and all he does now is juggle the planets into their orbits.

The flowgods are now reigning supreme on earth each handling their own discipline. And they are spreading the glorious art amongst us humans as the muses did the arts..."

"I'd say the juggling god would probably just juggle with whatever was around him... eggs, large chunks of earth, gasses. I'm sure you could do some interesting patterns with large bubbles of gas in space if you (as a god) could keep them from just expanding out into the vacuum of space. Air bubbles in zero gravity water would work...

I'd also say that the juggling god is not banished, he is omnipresent... why do you think that gravity is the weakest force? It makes juggling a whole lot easier, does it not? Juggling is also probably more present in human society than poi and such things."

"Juggling is everywhere. From juggling a life, a job, a significant other and so on. What we all do can be seen as juggling in some sort. I think we should have some sort of more peaceful spilt. Some sort of weird carnival trick. Juggling god looks in a fun house mirror type of thing. The different sections of the mirror all contain an image of the juggling god, who then step out and assume their own indiviual talents. In this way, all the arts are related peaceful and all are a form of juggling."

"How about a conflict and drama that was solved through a division of domains of some kind?? Maybe thats why it tends to be hippies that poi/staff and... less... hippyish people that juggle?

Perhaps it was a division over whether or not it should be competitive with others?"

"I've seen a lot of hippies juggle, but I've not seen a lot of math geeks spin poi. Hmm, being competitive indicates there are multiple jugglers, so maybe multiple juggling gods and one decided to create others? I dunno, I'm not sure if I like being created directly from juggling, I like being a aspect of juggling rather than an inferior sounding offspring."

"Perhaps the movement of the balls that we throw work the minds of each of the respective gods? smile Making us the creator of the god itself.

This does make us a 'lesser' than the god itself, but only as much that an individual is 'lesser' than a collective to which it contributes."

"Kind of like the gods exist within us and because of us. They have their own form and such, but their essense and power so to speak, is of the community that they represent. I like that much. It makes the poi and staff gods better than say, the gods of plate spinning."

"So the poi god and the staff god had it off and what do we get? Doubles!

Wait... this is so off topic now... New fread?"

New fread done. tongue2

Mildly edited, and no attributions. Go forth and create....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
Maybe He/She should just be called The Juggler? wink

I am hungry, I am incorrigible, I AM MAN!!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
It's said that spinning was created by the Hippie god for the reason that he tended to get easily confused when the objects left his hands. His attention span is rather short, you know, like 3ms only - keeping his life simple, he left away one of the three balls and tied up the remaining two.

It was his sister who fell in love with the club swinging god (the younger brother of the club juggler) and their offspring became known as "staffer"...

Besides there is not much of a hierarchy in the gobject manipulation panthenon - it's been like that before but they realized how adolescent is was. Now are all over each other, celebrating and handing out invitations to all sorts of beings for their individual contribution.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
How do you account for tech, Tom? Some of the poi tech is horrifically complicated, takes more than 3ms.

Time ceased to exist in the conventional way, frozen in a millisecond. The only measurement now are in beats. Two beats per three petals for antispin, four beats per three petals for prospin.

When the pattern reaches back where it started its back to the same millisecond it started on as well.

hug

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
I must say I have a love/hate relationship with their household god...

He's forever using everything around the house to see if they'd work for spinning...

He keeps stealing the dog leads tongue2

Just a dancer in the dark

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
He bruises the apples around here as well.

hug

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
But don't forget, the juggling god is non-linear, he exists in the same state at all times, so he has ALWAYS dropped...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
There is one God and his name is Malcolm.

I shun you disbelievers.

meditate

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
maybe consider to move this thread into "discussion" .... (?)

laugh3 footinmouth redface

wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Raoul_HagenbeekGOLD Member
Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
Maybe the gods can only manifest through other beings, like in this case humans.

As soon as we start spinning they form a divine link with humankind to show others the power and beauty of spining, trying to win more souls so they can manifest more often?

What is life, without a little risk!

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I've always liked the idea of using spinng/poi/staff as kinetic meditation. Nick has a lovley video of a whirling dirvish on his site. An entire group of people who did just that. We link ourselves to our respective gods when we perform and they flow through us.

For the sake of the myth, the juggling god starts out simply. At first there is only three objects for him. The earth, the sky and the heavens. He drops these and they fall into place on the earth. Progressing, He decides to manipulate four now. Wind, earth, fire, and water. After mastering those too he drops them and the elements are brought to the world. After progressing in this fashion, each time mastering and dropping and adding new features to the world, he decides he wants to pass. And so he creates others to help him in this. But as before, he grews weary of this new trick and wants to move on. Lonley without the juggling god, the new entities are left with only the extra balls and clubs... and then....

Don't mind me, just passing through.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
but what about the thought that there is NO juggling god and when we juggle it's actually due to mimicry of our elemental particles.

(thoughts of a schism) wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
We could definitly do without the juggling god. I've always kinda seen a rift of sorts between solid jugglers and well... us, lol. Not really any harsh feeling, just a disconnect.

Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
Well, you said it yourself he left.

So Jugglers are worshipping a dead god,
Orthodox-jugglites if you please
while we are neo-jugglites or spinners.

And our pantheon is still vividly present.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
albeit a 2nd generation remodelling of the original faith based upon similar tennets but with a slightly different dogma unless you consider spinners to be anti-god and their belief is based upon the founding theory of gravity represented by the adjoining string which keeps the orbits stable.

this seems similar to this golden oldie wink

[Old link]

although more faith based (God as a juggler)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
Object manipulation just evolving from the electrons spinning around in an atom. I'm not looking to get into object manipulation as a form of helping spread religious ideals. Although its not a bad idea, its not the idea I want to expand on. I still want some input about object manipulation gods coming into being and having wacky antics.

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
I'm feeling inspired so I'm gunna give another go.

The earth was created. The heavems had higher beings. These beings were known as gods and they watched humanity with interest. They saw it evolve and grow and learn. They watched as humans built civilizations. They watched from every angle, and saw that at our most basic, we are made of little bits, spinning around smallr bits. Chaotic as they were, they spun on and worked toegther and joined and made a person. From impossible chaos peace arose and civilization started because of spinning. And the gods were pleased. Humanity at its core is a dance, ever changing, full of chaotic little spinning parts that create life. Looking inward, they too wanted this same dance of peaceful chaos, but found that because they were gods, they were above it. What should have given them pride, did not please them, and they too wanted to spin and dance.

Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
The gods, hesitant at first, for could humanity hold the power that was granted by spinning. They could not spin like the godsm if allw ould learn how to spin the godlike spin, they would all create more then the universe could hold.

Therefore the gods decided mankind needed tools for spinning, Things to keep them spinning hapy, without the worry that they would create more and more. However what would mankind need to spin, the gods did not agree.

Would they need a staff, or would they need poi, maybe a fan or a club. Every god or goddess had her own idea. Secretly from each other they spread their tools throughout the world, aiding those that wanted to spin to get the tools to do so.

As the influences of he diffeent gods and their tools grew, however. Their spinners would meet, Staff spinners met poi-dansers, fan-flingers met Club-swingers. The gods would never have guessed, but instead of fights the different spinners stuck together, they shared the dance. Even though their tools were different they knew they all danced the dance of chaos.

The gods where satisfied and decided that they should give mankind one final gift. They gave a few talented individuals the power to spin fire. This though would spread amongst all spinners, thought to one another. This pleased the gods

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
Those crazy flow gods, what will they think of next?!