Forums > Technical Discussion > best poi for training with light

Login/Join to Participate

meyerjacSILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I currently do not have glow poi, just a pair of sock poi for practice and a set of fire poi as well. When borrowing friends' glow poi I have noticed that Woolsey's suggestion to train with light is very effective. I can see the patterns and all of my mistakes much more clearly.

That being said, I am looking to add a good set of glow poi to replace my sock poi for practice. I want to use them a lot and for the primary purpose of enhancing my fire performance. Which glow poi are best for this?

I am leaning towards crystal poi with flowlight handles, but are the flowlight handles really very helpful or would a set of plain oggpoi be better?

Thx in adance!

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
oggpoi aren't as durable as they used to be. Some kind of change in the manufacturing. Flowlights are becoming a bit of a standard right now. Im not as fond of the shape and weight, because I like a slightly heavier feel. But since Hyperlights aren't really an option right now, Flowlights are my first choice.

light handles are a personal preference. I think its always good to get comfortable with a variety of grips, but some people are really fond of one style or another. knobs and balls and grips you can toss and catch easily vs. 1 loop or 2 loop handles vs....whatever else folks can come up with.

If you want to experiment with light before investing in an expensive glow set, Try a couple of cheap LED tap lights (preferrably 3 LED or more per light). I removed the backing then taped a half of a tennis ball to it before reattaching to the light. You can drop it in a sock with the light pointing back at the opening and the weighted ball end to the end of the sock. You can even add extra weight to it. Its nice because as long as your sock isn't ridiculously thick, you can get a glow all the way from the end up to your hand.

I did some extra stuff like insulation strips on the sides and gluing a velcro tab to help prevent the LED light from sliding around, but that's just me playing around with design stuff.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I just got myself a set of the crystal poi from flowlights with the weights on them. Order some quick links and colecord from HoP and make some custom handles for yourself. The water 2 is amazing, looks amazing in all kinds of light, not just pitch black like some LEDs. The crystasl cases actually enhance the light. They are a bit pricey, but if you want some good durable bright glow poi that feel amazing, go flow!

Don't forget swivels and rechargable batteries. Also flowtoys have really neat stickers.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

meyerjacSILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Yea, I had heard that the oggpoi aren't as good lately. I think I'm going to go with the flowlights and crystal covers. They seem to be the best option at the moment.

And that's a really clever idea for inexpensive glowing sockpoi. You should post a how-to on that. =)

meyerjacSILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I think that's what I'm going to do JayKitty. I prefer making all my own poi so those will be fun to put together.

Say, I also like to do orbitals a lot. I'm sort of nervous about the crystal covers smacking my nose or something at high velocity. Is this an unwarranted fear?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
not unless you're using 1.5kg monkeyfists wink which are good for practicing isolations wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink