Page:
cherrybombstranger
6 posts

Posted:
ok, this has probably been asked a ton of times before...

i guess i'm okay practicing out in the park without fire. i can just wear headphones to ward off nosy question-askers and i don't mind looking like a weirdo.

but where can i practice with fire when i choose to do so? i'm in north jersey right outside nyc, and i have access to beaches. what are the laws on fire? is it illegal to practice fire poi/staff in public? :\ i live in an apartment so i don't really have a backyard. just go to the least populated area i can find or what? haha

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
If you're going the not so leagal route... I don't reccomend it, make your props very mobile. Quick clean up, one large bucket to put your props in and scram should the need arise. That being said, look for someplace quiet, somewhat secluded and free from all of the evil clutter you may set on fire. Bring a friend and don't forget to bring a towel.

Also, if you want to go on the beaches it depends on how touristy they are. The more people, the more cops get uptight about protecting little shore towns. I've even had them kick me off the boardwalk while doing sock poi, lol.

Also, its easier to ask forgivness then to ask permission and then break it.

Talk to your fire chief, show him you aren't a tool and then ask him for a safe place.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I agree, speak to someone in authourity first if you aren't sure. Councils can be pretty understanding if you can explain yourself fully, although they do tend to want people to have insurance.

Alternatively if a friend has a garden or yard maybe they could help you wink other than that I can only suggest doing it on private land. Ask a store or somewhere else with land if you can use their carpark when it's empty at night. all you need is permission from the land owner.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I just go to one of the open fields nearby, or the botanical gardens.

But then people are used to seeing weird thigns in a university town. wink

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Raoul_HagenbeekGOLD Member
Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
I practice fireless swinging indoors and in my garden.
(my home is blessed with 3 m high ceilings ;-)

the fire thing I practice on the shore of a recreatinoal lake nearby. Water nearby for if things go wrong. and only some runners that look surprised when they see me, but most of the time I have my little fan club with me.

Which started with a single safety person and now grew to about 9 people, stupidly enough they don't want to learn the tricks, just gaze in awe.

What is life, without a little risk!

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
Its really bizzare how that happens! I've had a rotating cast that just loves to watch me burn but never ever wants to learn. Just be safe is my advice, I got stopped for the police once, I don't think he knew what to make of it, someone called them and reported fire tossing... he told me he was pretty sure I couldn't do that. He seemed flustered.

Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
You should've shown him ;-)

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
"Oh pardon me officer, don't get too close this is kinda dangerous"

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
I was asked what I was doing by some cops recently. I said I would show them and did.

They left me alone.

HawkfeatherJYNothing is imposable to a sufficantly talented fool!
156 posts

Posted:
Cops suck doughnuts!

I like to practice outside better than inside. I know that's kinda general. I really do like Outdoors better than indoors.

Perception is truly in the Eyes of the beholder... So dream on with no Fear. ~Hawkfeather~York~

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I prefer doing fire indoors, it stops the rain getting me wet and stops burnoffs blowing everywhere... can cause a mess though.

edit..

Should mention (for safety) that I mean in a BIG hall or on a stage, NOT in my living room wink
EDITED_BY: Mynci (1249916901)
EDIT_REASON: clarity

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
LoL, last sunday, I was spinning a bit, and a cop came checking it out.

First he tried to stop me, so I showed him, my safety-stuff and everything I had done, so I was properly prepared.

(flat surface, bucket of water, fireblanket, safety person who knew how to act.)

So he agreed to let me show him a bit of spinning.

Next thing I know he was asking me for my emailadres, because he wanted a fire-show for his sons eighteenth birthday...

Go figure...

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
haha! Go you smile

Just a dancer in the dark

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
My girlfriend and I carry around a binder full of all sorts of saftey info and guidelines and MSDS on our fuels. Stuff like that sets you apart from the random guy who doesnt know about fire.

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
I've found that if you can stop and explain yourself rationally then people just go "oh ok". As long as you have safety gear, know what you're doing.

More often than not its a nice diversion from a real crime!!

...having said that, I am in the UK so no idea about the US.

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
The US has a lot of different parts and the laws vary by state. More rural states have more lax laws I think. I live in Central NewJersey. The laws for performance are kinda strict but not horrible. As for random fire practice I use my yard and the neighbors love it, I know some people aren't so lucky. But like Fearpig said, everyone is more understanding if you can safley put out your props and explain what you're doing rather than yelling and chugging a beer... That one has never worked in recorded history.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
NYC you can't (legally) spin fire anywhere w/o a fire safety officer on site - my experience. It's T.H.E. most paranoid place I've ever visited (even within the states, except for L.A. probably).

If you spin fire outside, good idea to do it on a beach, where is no flammable stuff near you. Even the worst moron should figure that you can't set sand ablaze.

Be careful with windy conditions, not fun to spin at 8 beaufort wink

For the rest ^^^

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
don't burn to hot or you'll have to dance on glass ;-)

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to imagine what kind of fuel you need to use to make glass on the beach lol. There's a place near me on the boardwalk that does glassblowing demonstrations, that furnace is giant and crazy and glowing. Can you spin poi with plasma?

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Well, in a hot enough environment you could swing magnets, since plasma is basically dissociated ions....

Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
You do realise I was only kidding right...

Typical really, try making a joke about fire and people here only start up a discussion about wether it would be possible or not...

The lightbulb theory still reigns supreme I presume :-)

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
This is a group of people who don't take impossibility as a limitation, they take it as a challenge! tongue2

Just a dancer in the dark

Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
Which probably makes them the most abnormal people I ever spent time with...

I'm home grin

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
I have ended up discussing whether or not you could use volcanos to cook emus or if you would need to add oil first.

A discussion about whether it is possible to spin plasma seems fairly normal....

cherrybombstranger
6 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JayKittyMy girlfriend and I carry around a binder full of all sorts of saftey info and guidelines and MSDS on our fuels. Stuff like that sets you apart from the random guy who doesnt know about fire.

where would one find information like that?

p.s. - you should let me know what sort of fire stuff is going on in NJ, or we should meet up. we are really close!

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
And a discussion about glass forming around your fire dance seems like something out of a Hindu story. I rather liked the imagery.... also the image of having more arms to swing multiple sets of poi.

cherrybomb where are you located? I'd love to meet up. Look up fire saftey laws in NJ. Google reigns supreme. NAFA i think is the main one though. The MSDS should be available as a pdf online or possibly at the store selling it. PM me and we can jam together.

Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
Well, I suppose having more arms would help with the glassburning...

You could get more friction with multiple poi and more heat. And holy fire, would we need a lot of heat. So I suppose those two could go... hand in hand in hand in hand...

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
The only real problem with spinning plasma is that high temperatures are *high*....

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
maybe in some sort of magnetic suspension thingy? Or I could be magic?

hehe... hand in hand in hand.

Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
mmm, yes, you should probably wear a good heatresistant suit, or you'd burn up before you actually made glass...

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
If you're adding all those extra arms why now be able to float or fly or something... can we make a poi god? Is this something someone can draw?

Page: