Forums > Expressive movement / costumes and props > Tricking + Firedance = performance future?

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
So here we are - welcome to Century 21...

Acrobatics + Capoeira + Breakdance = Tricking

Tricking + Staff/ Poi = ?? umm ?? wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Tricking + Staff = really bloody difficult! I've been into this idea for a few years but havn't really progressed very far, a pinwheel with an aerial is about the best i've managed and even that is pretty sloppy.

But yeah, i reckon its the future, just maybe a bit more future to go yet smile

"Don't do it naked!"

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
what about Juggling? I think you could do some 3 ball and maybe some 3 club stuff when bouncing around like a looney. Surely using a staff it would be like all those kung fu films we used to love so something must be possible. I think that some of those body rotations would be tricky with a staff (turning moments etc) but wouldn't be a problem with juggling props especially bounce balls. You could just club swing 2 short clubs would look awsome, poi would be hard with all the spinning I think, the chains would be a bit risky.
(I love watching vids like that, cheers FireTom wink )

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MyncyI think that some of those body rotations would be tricky with a staff (turning moments etc) but wouldn't be a problem with juggling props especially bounce balls.

you reckon? staff to be harder than balls?

the turning momentum is created by the body and that one should have a lot more momentum than the staff - the only prob I could see is in the staff hitting the ground or the hands not supporting the momentum...

but then again - you could just trow it in the air - that'd do the trick, no?

like here:

I do that all the time tongue2

wink wink wink

some tricking tutorials right here:

and this one, in case you got bored wink

[video: youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWjlM40ooFE
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1250374955)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
yeah I think staff would be harder regardless of batons lol. a good size staff has weight espescially loaded with fuel. when you spin you tuck your arms in tight against your chest or sides or put one behind your back to twist. with a staff either the ends will stick out and slow your rotation like a figure skater doing a spin that small increase in your diameter will slow you a lot.

notice when the baton twirler spins her body even the baton is in the air. as you said but a staff would need a big old throw to get a full flipkick in because of the extra weight.

i think staff would look good off fire if practiced a lot but on fire i think it could be cumbersome and dangerous. 2 spin clubs however could look awesome as you could flip whilst holding them possibly. you could easily flip with balls in your hands I think holding a fire staff would reduce the effectiveness of your arms to flip by being off balance (held in 1 hand) and reduced movement (if held in both) I used to be able to somersault and you needed to use a lot of arm movement twists would be really hard. I think it's possible just harder.
cheers for the vids though wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
What if you used the staff as a way to modify the ariels, like a pole vaulter would use their tool to achieve greater height? I think it could look really cool with HoP's fire pole: https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Full-length-Fire-Poleflag-400mm-fire-head
. That gives you one end you can grap onto and leap while the fire end (if fire is a necessity for a particular performance) is planted in the ground.

probably more ideas could be garnered from watching those who work with colorguard and flag twirling, rather than equally balanced batons or staves.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Little staffs are pretty Easy to tumble with, mine are about the length of my arm in total and quite light. But any new prop is going to take a bit of adjusting and practice to get use to the weight/size when tumbling.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
this is what I feel..

we only will truly know about the feasibility of tricking + firedance when putting a prop in a trickers hands and let him do the trick wink or learn tricking ourselves... *whistles* wink

I understand it is a challenge but feel it would definitely be possible *pokes (you) with a staff*

old wink

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
*throws balls back* wink

True I was just thinking from a purely physics direction and the fact I could never somersault holding anything lol.

For giggles though maybe I should save up and try it on this

https://www.gozerog.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=experience.welcome

not too expensive wink although juggling "could" be tricky... but what a video laugh3
EDITED_BY: Mynci (1250580097)

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
I'm a trickster.

Just y'know... fyi.

Juggle 'til I drop!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
So how goes the juggling/tricking integration? tongue2

Also, how do you start this sort of thing?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
www.trickstutorials.com is a fantastic resource for learning tricks.

I have an idea for a really, really sick ass juggling/tricking move. I'll share when I get around to doing/filming it.

Juggle 'til I drop!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
"ass juggling/ tricking moves" - remember to wear something when taking the vid (PG rated board) wink

Thanks for the link - I hope some Trickers will show up on the next Juggling Convention in Goa... *wiggles eyebrows*

weavesmiley ubbrollsmile bounce2

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
the best trickin/staff combos ive seen are by my mate tim the incredible aka little tim, tim2 or less impressively tim chown, but he thinks he is a disco legend from 1978 and thus has no idea that the internet exsists!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
and you? do the words "camcorder" "youtube" and "upload" ring any bells? wink

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
lol, me sandy and tim (the incredible) have a video project thats well overdue, when its done I promise to post it everywhere

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: t_mwhen its done I promise to post it everywhere

wave bye bye Tim Marston it was nice meeting you but these usually are the last words this community has heard in a variety of threads

cool

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomOriginally Posted By: t_mwhen its done I promise to post it everywhere

wave bye bye Tim Marston it was nice meeting you but these usually are the last words this community has heard in a variety of threads

cool

Jest you may, but we are actually going filming tonight (without Big Tim unfortunately) so you may actually see something smile Whether it will actually contain any tricking though....
EDITED_BY: -sandy- (1253110952)
EDIT_REASON: Tim / Big Tim. There are too many Tims in my life!

"Don't do it naked!"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*taps feet and bites nails in anticipation*