Forums > Help! > trying to transition

Login/Join to Participate

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
i am trying transition from LED lights and glowsticks to fire. but i have one giant problem... when im going from a weave to a forward postition my glowsticks/LED lights almost always hit my hair. i KNOW this is a giant hazard for fire so how should i go about changing my motives or should i just wear a beanee when i first spin fire.
also any tips on first time fire spins would be helpful. i have watched about 4 videos on how to go about it and i just want some street wisdom of it.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
beanee: definitely if you like your scalp... the other one would be to prior wash your hair, applying conditioner and not rinsing it after -> hair stays wet (this one only if the outside temp is beyond 30°.... (C not F))

street wisdom: don't dip your LED toys in Kero to light them up and you'll be happy

weavesmiley

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Street wisdom: Tennis balls with holes dipped in gas don't make good fire toys.

Poi wisdom: simply keep practicing until you don't hit yourself. It took me a while to do it with btb moves. Keep at it. Slow down, get the point at which you hit yourself and change it.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
lol good tips. how long did you guys spin before fire?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JayKittysimply keep practicing until you don't hit yourself. It took me a while to do it with btb moves. Keep at it. Slow down, get the point at which you hit yourself and change it.

Yeah, that.
Nothing else to add really.

Loads of people say "oh, the poi keep hitting me"... and the only real answer is "well, practice until they don't"

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
It seems so simple, but that's how poi works. I tried flowers and my planes kept nailing me. One solution is to move like a crazy person so they don't hit you. Then you come to the logical solution and realize there is no spoon and that you move the poi.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JKThen you come to the logical solution and realize there is no spoon and [...] you move the poi.

laugh3 one for the HoP records hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Poi Wisdom: Though I'm sure that practice will prolly fix your problem, I'm wondering about the length of your poi, are they too long? Also if that is not the case you may have your arm position wrong, do you just hold your hands out in front of you and do it or do your move your arms back and forth in front of you so that your weave pattern is farther off to the sides. Just something to ponder. weavesmiley

Street wisdom: Refrain from handing a flaming object to an audience member if they act like they could do it just as easy. It's tempting at times but don't do it.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

burningdesiresstranger
1 post

Posted:
I'm doing some research trying to find reasonable prices for a fire dancing performace, im lookng for advice on price ranges. My best friend spins fire and wants to make a career of it starting her own troop. but is unaware of the true pricings of a show or performance.

HELP!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: burningdesiresI'm doing some research trying to find reasonable prices for a fire dancing performace, im lookng for advice on price ranges. My best friend spins fire and wants to make a career of it starting her own troop. but is unaware of the true pricings of a show or performance.

HELP!

So why post here? There are plenty of threads about this sort of thing. Do a search and some are bound to come up.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland