dj_gooseSunburnt Bournda Beach Bum
157 posts

Posted:
My brother and i want to start brewing our own beer to cut down on the costs of buying so much of the stuff and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction where i can read up on it and find out what to do. Cheers my good people

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There are a pluthera of magazines and books out there actually. You can also track down a brewmaster affiliated with local chapters of the SCA and such.
there is www.homebrewadventures.com www.homebrewheaven.com
www.homebrewhq.com
www.homebrewsupply.com

These have links, advice and recipes. I too homebrew, but not beer. I make Meades and Wines, and have for many years now.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
meades.....

rotflmao

sorry...that word just reminds me of some of drunk monk rolling around the place in the middle ages walking behind a cart of hay singing random religious songs grasping a bottle of meade..

bloody canterbury tales experience..

AlienfoxSILVER Member
130 posts

Posted:
Yea, Wine is the way forward for homebrew. Beer's more of a pain, for a less interesting result.

Never tryed mead (brewing!)
How do I get some Pele Mead?

Have you tryed the Moniack Mead - bloody charming - I could swap you some...eer...somehow

Non-Https Image Link

- Alienfox -

157 posts

Posted:
i bought a kit this morning but he intructions are as useless and balls on a bishop. One of my friends told me that u can change the colour of the brew by the time u but the yeast in...whats the go with that? An any suggestions how to keep it warm coz i have to do it in shed and Melbourne is pretty cold at the moment

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

battered_ratmember
40 posts

Posted:
Hey, some of my friends bought me a home brew kit for my 18th, of which i will probably never use, well maybe these holidays, but it's the thought that counts yeah.......?
But anyway, they got it from some place just outside of melbourne and they got this pretty nifty little book too called, odly enough, "Home Brewing" by michael Rodgers-Wilson, which has really easy to read instructions and the like, and heaps of different recipes.
The place is called *goes hunting for business card* Australian Winemakers, it's at 106-110 Peel st, North Melbourne, Victoria, 3051. i have no idea how to get there, i didn't buy it, but i'm sure it'll be somewhere near melbourne, north parhaps.......
anyway, good brewing to you all.

Phill

------------EDIT------------

They sell little heater thingos, i'm gonna have to get one myself if i want to start brewing, being the middle of winter and all, who knows, might even see your down there.... or not....

The weekend has landed, all that exists now is clubs, drugs, pubs and parties, I got 48 hours off from the world. This could be the best night of my life, I've got 73 quid in my backburner and I'm gonna wax the lot, man.THE MILKY BARS ARE ON ME!!

AlienfoxSILVER Member
130 posts

Posted:
All this effort just to get some real beer in Oz

Then your going to chill it till it's so cold you can't taste it - own up

Non-Https Image Link

- Alienfox -

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
a friend used to make homebrew, his advice is double the amount of everything they say and it'll taste disgustinger but'll be far stronger.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

157 posts

Posted:
I have just spent a year living in England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland so i understand the whole cold beer thing, and i have to admit that after 4 months straight of rain u don't much feel like a cold beer but after 4 months of 40 degreees plus a cold beer goes down very nicely thank u