Forums > Technical Discussion > HOP full length vs. Firetoys Fibre3 contact staff?

Login/Join to Participate

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I'm in need of a new contact staff, and I'm wondering which would be better for me?

All of my contact staves so far ended up slightly bending, which made them horrible to spin. So the main thing I'm looking for is durability.
I also like my staffs heavy but I'm not sure if the HOP staff is heavy enough.
Also, is the HOP staff hollow or full aluminum?

I really liked the Fibre3 when I played with it at Secret Garden Party last year, but I've never seen a HOP staff anywhere.

Thanks, Poiboy

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
make yer own. Check online for aluminum tube the thicker wall you can get the less likely it will bend and the heavier it will be.

then follow this great guide on how to make it. should only cost about $80US if you it yerself AND it will be JUST how you want it

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice, but I'm censored at making my own equipment, so I'd rather buy one.
I managed to bend full aluminum so a thicker wall probably won't help =\

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
thats nuts, how from drops? only time mine get bent are when people step on it

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I've never used the HoP Contact staff but I have bought 5 Fibre contacts (2 got stolen) they are quite good although they have a little flex to them which means if your contact isn't smooth it can bounce a bit, but this means that I haven't had a bend stay in it because it flexes back, and they are quite heavy.

Some people also complain about the grip. it's super sticky silicon(e) and can pull your small hairs out at the back of your neck aparently but I've never had that problem. If it gets wet though it can be like trying to do contact with an icicle if it's on bare skin. If you don't like the grip you can always cut it off and add the type you like.

I find them really nice for staff on staff contact as the really long marked grip helps keep things in position.

the weight makes it not so good for spinning quickly so very much a contact staff (lots of momentum and inertia to overcome when spinning)
The 160cm I find a bit too long, the flex in the staff is quite obvious
I have 150cm I asked them to make it's long enough for easy contact but short enough that the flex isn't an issue
I also have 2 x 140cm ones for doubles contact which are really nice.

Overall i would suggest them for doubles contact 100% but if you're only having 1 staff it can be a little annoying if you want to spin quickly with plane changes ninja style. still my preferred staff for gigs.

(Oh one other thing keep the silicone grip out of the sun and away from fire, have found if heated it can come away from the stick making the grip twist on the stick and makes body rolls like steves feel bumpy as grip twists and releases slightly as staff rolls. Keep middle of grip away from heat and you'll be fine)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

vicki_snstranger
3 posts

Posted:
**Deleted**
EDITED_BY: Durbs (1256554669)
EDIT_REASON: Please do not advertise other companies on this site - see forum rules