diskomember
21 posts

Posted:
Has anyone ever heard of or seen sound poi? As you twirl them, they make a noise, the faster you twirl them the higher the note, you could even have the poi's set at different notes, maybe an octave apart so you get a fuller sound. How these would be made, I dunno, maybe along the lines of a metal or wooden tube or a whistle? Basically wind chimes on chains! If you had a few people twirling, you could get a poi symphony with music written for poi. If someone makes any, please send me a tape!------------------*burn-baby-burn-disko-inferno*

*burn-baby-burn-disko-inferno*

jessejamesmember
22 posts

Posted:
hey do you know those tubes that kids get to spin and make noise you know the kind that is like a ribbed condommabye varying lenghts of these on th end of pois would make some kind of whistlealthough i have no idea how you would go about fastening such a device to ones chains

burnin down the house

diskomember
21 posts

Posted:
I will toddle-off to my nearest Toys-R-Us this weekend and report back as to my success! Cheers!

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
Actually, wasn't there a scene using something like a sound poi in Crocodile Dundee (Or maybe it was the second one? It's been a long time since I've seen either...)? In the second half when they go back to Australia? Anyone know what that thing that he was swinging was??? (You know, in the part where he's standing up on the cliff "making a phone call"...

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Jesse-. In the US it is often called a bull roarer. Look at:https://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dhavlena/whirlgig.htm for instructions. As a side note. It was discussed at length in the didgeridoo didgest . (I can't remember the URL frown ) However, from what I gathered in the discussion, some groups of Native Australians are rather upset, because it is a sacred item in there group. I don't know how true this is but, just FYI.-PSM

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
we used to make a version of the bull roarer when we were kids .. basicaly it was a horseshoe shaped piece of wire with a hook at each end and a rubberband accross the u tops closing the ends .. you tied string to the base of the u and spin .. I think the aboriginal version is more a shaped piece of wood with a hole angled to catch the wind - lots of indigenous cultures have versions - used as disorientating scaring the enemy before attacks/ chasing/calling spirits in different ceremony - its a pretty haunting wicked sound when you get it right ...I have a hole cut in the bottom of one tennis ball (which is an old poi end I use sometimes) and creates a droning wistle .. I was wondering if itd be stronger with a hole in the side instead ... Ill go try and tell you later smilehope thats some help

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Those plastic things should work good but they split easily and don't take a good beating. There are wooden ones though...like whistles that you can spin around with and they make the same noise, only louder..like a train whistle. Found them in a novelty toy store once but I have no idea what they are called. What about something along the line of chimes attached like glow sticks? The only issue I can think with that is the pain fo being hit but it's a sacrifce we make for our art! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Oh and kids also have those spinny things that they put on thier ankles and spin it with one leg and hop it with the other (SkippIts). Something along those lines might work. It rattles more than whistles but it's a noise!I love being an immature-play-with-my-kids-toys kinda mother!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey All,Yep - the thing in Croc Dundee was a bullroarer...And yes - I think it is used by the Native Aussies to scare off evil spirits, although I really dont know much about it.Amazing idea tho...I especially like the idea of the coordinated Poi music smileHere's another idea, get a toy recorder, attach a small cardboard funnel to the mouthpiece, with Gaffa tape, and a ribbon to the other end. If you mount the chain in the centre, when you swing it the drag of the ribbon should make it spin mouthpiece first. The Funnel hopefully would force enough air into it to produce a note. Use Gaffa to cover the holes such that it is tuned to the right note. Just an idea...Josh

diskomember
21 posts

Posted:
Thanks Y'all! So many ideas! The Bull Roarer sounds great, I will check it out and (though maybe a bit sad to admit) I will try to get hold of a copy of Croc Dundee (Thanks Jesse). Psychomonkey - I will check out that web site for more ideas. Jesse - your horseshoe wire thing sounds interesting but I can't picture it...tell me more. A call to all you Aussies - this ain't fair, it sounds like u lot had great toys as kids! Can anyone remember any other cool toys which could be brought back and reinvented for 'grown-up' performance?Josh - I wonder if you could take your recorder idea further to other wind instruments? Also would a really big recorder if spun like a staff and with the right bits of gaffer etc become a sound staff? mmmm so many questions, so little time! Ciao!------------------*burn-baby-burn-disko-inferno*

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Disko...I am from the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!Maybe that explains why the kid toys are funky!!!!!!!!*LOL* grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

ffirebellGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
Hey! Awesome ideas!! My staff actually does make sounds!! Its a hollow metal broom stick, its totally cool when i spin it at the right angle or whatever, it makes a starwars kinda noise... ffirebell

Fairie's wear boots.

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
I use something like the "Kids tubes" that you were talking about all the time in performance. Rather than fixing them to anything I twirl the tubes from their handle using most of the normal poi moves (some things are impossible as they are not as flexible)... as you twirl them faster they go up in pitch, and you can buy them tuned to any note so that you can make music with them as well... They are made of a specially produced plastic tube that resonates really well, and are called "Harmonic Whirlies" They cost about US$8 I think - email me if you want the contact details of the supplier (my email is moon_fest@hotmail.com)

Kameronmember
11 posts

Posted:
I have mike'd my body using a wireless set.. and used it raw as well as with effects to create amazing low tones during a performance.I really loved the effect of the sounds.a fun activity for you musician/spinners out there.. and an intense live show as well. ***

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
If a singing staff is your thing, try making a staff out of bamboo. They naturally whistle when you spin fast enough, and it's a really nice gentle sound too.

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Bec,I'm in Sydney. Do any of the major toy stores stock Harmonic Whirlies? they sound soooo cool smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
This is the best picture of a whirlie I could get..

Non-Https Image Link

Reckon they would airwrap? wink

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I am not sure if Whirlies are actually toys for kids... although kids in Western Australia might use them more than here.
We never got stuff like this as kids... although I think mum once said that she did, not sure though.
There are alot of funky things like this that I have seen or heard of being used by the aboriginals.
Thinking of whirlies though, I saw a choir use them last year... man it was funny, considering we can make better noises than that with our voices.

Good luck on your searches though guys.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I have a set of harmonic whirlies. They are fun and lovely, but I only use them occasionally. I'm a staffer, not a poi person, so I'm a bit limited in terms of moves, but butterfly and weave and fountain are all easy.

in terms of vibrational healing, they certainly positively affect the space in which they are used. https://www.harmonicwhirlies.com
Definitely increase my vibrational energy and clear the space of negativity.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

XiuhtecuhtliSILVER Member
Everlearner
79 posts

Posted:
Wouldn't just coreless wicks with little ribs inside them sound just like those colores tubes they sell in dollar stores?
when they spin, the air is pulled through the tube by the centrifugal force, which makes them sound.
I've never done it, it's just theory, but it sounds really fun.

HawkfeatherJYNothing is imposable to a sufficantly talented fool!
156 posts

Posted:
I have never heard of any thing like that before, But it sure sounds cool.

I have how ever thought of some thing simaler (Wood slats) & will try to create it & make a video of it to show ya. yes

Perception is truly in the Eyes of the beholder... So dream on with no Fear. ~Hawkfeather~York~