Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

FruleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Well... I think it's cute and it shows that you are really looking forward to it..... smile and to meet us again I hope... hug

"I see," said the blind man.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
of course i'm looking forward to seeing you all again hug

i'm also really looking forward to the breathtaking beauty of the island and the ocean....
heading off on early morning expeditions rambling and exploring....
swimming in the beautiful crystal clear lake.....
meeting lots more beautiful like-minded people....
actually being able to see the stars without the interference of light polution....
shaking my ass all night to the sounds of good music.....
and spinning til my arms fall off.....

did i tell you we christened it "the island of joy" last year? ubblove you'll soon see why.....

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ooohhhh promise me we can all go hiking, I do love beautiful green things... yay!!!!

oh and just in case i forget, I found this while I was looking for sites about stilt walking

https://www.phoenixfestival.ie/

I wont be here but you guys should check it out.

One thing at a time though. Fuel.... If we all bring 4-8 litres with us, thats anywhere between 16 and 40 litres of fuel, so i reckon no-one needs to carry more than eight.

*wiggles in chair with excitment*

its been sooo long since i've heard the sound of drums, its one of the things im looking forward to most...

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm still scared, but that's ok, I always get a little nervous before going somewhere new.

OK then, 8 litres it is... good plan - I have to get this obsession with burning things under control smile

And speaking of dreams... and this may be too much information... ever since I got home from travelling I've been having odd nightmares.

Cos I work late, I don't get to bed til late, and wake up at about 9.30, then go back to sleep for an hour, in this hour I have crazy f**ked up dreams. Last night (in my dream) I was walking through a park, at night, on my own when this man jumped out from the bushes and started chasing me with a plank of wood. It became a kindof Texas Chainsaw Massacre setup.

Perhaps I am just crazy smile

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this little mission - lets hope it stays sunny, cos the sun is splitting the trees today xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
hug

Love is the law.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello irish spinny peeps!! I'm not in ireland or anything but I thought you might appreciate this rather fine jig

Non-Https Image Link

TTFN! hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Superb, thank you Custum Bug, that'l keep me goin for the rest of the weekend ubblol beerchug

Look us up if you ever cross the water,

We have irish dancing competitions with poi and staff. Its called Firish Dancing

and based on that lame joke, i am going home. Have a lovely weekend everybody.

Love is the law.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

oh and just in case i forget, I found this while I was looking for sites about stilt walking

you really are determined to make that 7ft staff aren't you biggrin

i think aoife (DeepSoulSheep's princess) did some fire poi at that festival in tullamore last year. the site looks really good.....

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
you are all f*cking crazy ubblol

that's why i like you all so much hug

284 posts

Posted:
That's very nice indeed.... smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol... we just had a VW beetle park up and deliver a jig.

Tis ok, I agree with Lisa, we are all crazy.

Happy weekend y'all. I'm firedancing outside Milk in Belfast tonight smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
a few pics for up in the gallery now, let me know if any of you want the full set. I'll burn them onto the cd's with all the clips and bring them up with me.

Love is the law.

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone... I'm an Irish person too! (At least, as of this morning when my ferry docked.) Really I come from Perth, Australia, but I've been in Britain nearly 5 years, on and off.

I start a new job tomorrow - I'm a physio, which means I understand intimately the theory of how the body works and how intricate movements and control and motor learning develop, and all that, but it doesn't help at all when it comes to learning new poi moves! Anyway, the job's in Belfast, and I think I'll be here 4 - 6 months or so. Then I'll get itchy feet and have to travel again.

Firepoise, that web-link isn't taking me anywhere, so are there any other sources of information about next weekend? It sounds great, though after my first week in a tough new job, I'm not sure yet that I'd be in a condition to have a weekend away. On the other hand, what's more important, work or play?

I am glad this is an international game - I learnt in school that the world spins, and now I know it's true.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello again Steph...

Welcome to Belfast smile

see you soon
x

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hi Steph,
welcome welcome
Hope we see ya soon, if you fancy a trip down south, dublin limerick cork, we're everywhere!!

Love is the law.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hello all wave

everyone have a nice weekend?

i met up with that random poi guy from wales, who walked up to us on grafton street and asked if he could spin with us. gave him a few lessons in stephens green, he was absolutely thrilled as he's been trying to learn all by himself for months. lovely chap.

helen i may have a lift to ballycastle for us, i'll know by tomorrow for definite. i'll ring/text you when i know for sure.

welcome steph ubbrollsmile

if it's the rathlin festival link you're looking for then it's
www.the-session.com get back to me if you have any other questions.

later folks......

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Welcome Steph wavehello

That's brilliant Lisa, let me know when you know yourself clap

Getting exited about Rathlin now........

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I;m so excited i'm getting the giggles, was reading about some of the things happening over the weekend, its gonna be sooo nice, tai chi lessons and everything

*giggle*

See!!!

Love is the law.

284 posts

Posted:
welcome *saysoneforeignertotheother*

Hope to see you in Rathlin, Steph!! hug

SARAH

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
there's a few people i know were heading up to rathlin today. i think they may have brought dublin's supply of parrafin with them. having a hard job getting my hands on the stuff, locally anyway. will be in town this evening though, i'll have another scout around then.....

i started packing last nite biggrin

[mammy mode]
now kids, make sure you pack enough warm clothes. if it's warm you can always take them off, but there's nothing worse than being cold and damp, especially when you're living in a tent
[/mammy mode]

[Fabergé mode]
bounce2 ubbloco weavesmiley devil hug peace bounce ubbangel lolsign meditate sunny devil weavesmiley biggrin beerchug beerchug bounce
[/Fabergé mode]

284 posts

Posted:
Hey mama ubblol,

I can just tell from Oxegen - the warmer the better. It get's f**king cold in the tent during the nite.
Am so excited already... biggrin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna bring my big pink blanket.
Just hoping for sunshine smile
I started packing this morning... bringing lots of munchings and crunchings footinmouth, lol

devil hug devil

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
right lads, it looks like i'm heading up on my lonesome tomorrow morning. one of the 'maybes' i had for a lift now can't make it at all and the other is going on saturday. helen's also going up saturday, but i'm an impatient little imp who can't wait and wants to go now devil

anyhoooo.... keep your phones near you so i can contact you when i'm on my way and you can direct me to where you've set up. (ever try finding a blue tent among 500 blue tents?) there will be coverage for 087 & 086 but not sure about meteor.

when you get to the site you'll have to go up over a steepish sort of bank/hillish type mound, and then down again into the field. from the field it's possible to see everyone arriving over this hill so you can keep your eyes peeled for me.

i have no clue what time i'll get there, depending on what kind of mischief i get up to tonite, i'm gonna try make the 8am bus. that should get me to ballycastle around lunchtime-ish.

this is going to be a very memorable weekend, i'm soooooooo looking forward to it bounce

284 posts

Posted:
We have green tents so it'll be easy to find us... wink ubblol

It's definitely going to be memorable! Hopefully the weather is on our side.... bounce

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
see you all tomorrow, beautiful people hug

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yes, I am pretty beautiful

Yaaayyyy, Raithlin!!!!

See you all soon!!!!

Love is the law.

284 posts

Posted:
Am finally leaving work frown
But woohoo: Leaving for Rathlin tomorrow morning already bounce bounce2
Se ya soon..... beerchug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well, my mother has banned me from taking the pink blanket.

Apparently her mother gave it to her, and she won't let me take it in case I ruin it.

This prompted wild-teenage tantrums and over-exaggeration about how her daughter was going to freeze to death.

I hate having teenage tantrums at 26. It's so embarrasing frown

Oh well, I have nearly got all things packed. I will be bringing a crappy blue blanket instead, but will probably freeze to death. I am also bringing far too much food, but I'm sure someone will eat it smile

Oh, and Aidan, I'm also bringing 16 litres of fuel we can divide... ubblol there'd better be a goddam minibus!!

Righto, I'll see you and Sarah at Belfast city airport at around 9.30/10am tomorrow morning. If possible, I'll text you when I'm nearly there, then you can come out to the door, cos I can't park outside for too long.

(I am desperately trying to get over pre-travel tension, so I won't be doing somersaults til I get there smile )

xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Ha ha, will you promise to have a teenage tantrum when we're there... i see a photo op there

Why a blanket? no sleeping bag? You want one? Two? I've got four.

Nice, loadsa fuel, i went through four litres in two hours last week in limerick, me thinks i may to tighten up the wicks on me stix, thankyou honey, i will reward you with candy and a 20 million pound lottery ticket.

Pre travel tension, tell me about it.

Will text you as soon as we land.

Tantrum tee hee ubblol hug

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Tis not funny (sulk).

( smile )

Yep, I'm bringing the blue blanket AND my sleeping bag and groundmat. I get cold.

How the hell did you go through that much fuel in 2 hours?!! I think my record was 4 litres during that 3 hours of Ballina St festival - and I was shattered by the end.

Anyways, I've realised you won't find the £20 million lottery ticket... apparently it was lost by some stupid Ulsterman/woman... but nice effort anywho.

You'd think that after a long time travelling all by myself I wouldn't get nervous about travelling... but I do. I'll be alright once I get there though... probably be alright once I get everything packed and pick you guys up smile

Anyways, see you tomorrow darlin

Love Clare xo

Page: ...